Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 201

Thread: The Decline of the Blu-ray Player

  1. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    I only listen for hobby purposes to Hi Res 24bit or DSD but at MY 63 lol I have a hard time ripping the BluRays to play in my computer. Can't for the life of me figure how how to tag the individual songs and so they show up as "untitled".
    Depends on the s/w you're using. If you want to take this offline and PM me, I'd be happy to try and help.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    I agree with you 100%! But I do love 5.1.....almost every Blu-ray also has high resolution stereo...so I didn’t really understand the hate for Blu-ray: better sounding, better picture. What’s to hate?
    I've nothing against 5.1. It's just that when we were renovating back in 2015, I had two choices: go with a really kick-ass stereo system or a still very good but not as kick-ass surround. For me, what I was looking for was to replicate the experience of listening to playbacks in the control booth of a proper studio. The system I got has given me that. I'd have had to skimp on the speakers to do 5.1, so it was a choice. I would still love 5.1 someday, but I suspect it's not going to happen.

    So, to be clear: I've nothing against it...I'd love it, in fact. But I had to make a choice, and I never for a second regret the one I made.


    But I"m with you on BR. I don't understand the hate for it. And 4K is even better...but the reason it's taken off, I think, is because you can buy it as downloadable, which is cheaper. here in Canada, a new title in 4K is usually $35-45. iTunes sells 4K films for max $24.99 and often much less (and if you wait, you can often get them on sale for $9.99).

    So, yeah, I never understood the hate for BR. Especially if you've a good TV. BR upsampled to a 4K tv looks pretty darn good. DVD, not bad, but not as good. And 4K on 4k tv? Wow!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  3. #28
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,225
    Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    This is very alarming to me not only because I love the better quality Blu-ray offers over DVD, but this is also how I listen to CD’S....and I have thousands of them!
    Please clarify. Do you mean you have "thousands of Blu-Ray Audio discs" (didn't think they made that many?) or do you mean you use your Blu-Ray player for playing standard CDs?

  4. #29
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,594
    ^ The latter.

  5. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,014
    It's not that surprising to me that Blu Ray hasn't taken off in the mass market, to me the picture difference is hardly noticeable. However, although I haven't got into surround sound I have enjoyed the Yes, Steven Wilson & other music audio and concert Blu Rays for the better sound. My Pioneer unit that I've had for about 5 years is starting to go awry so I think I'd better buy a replacement while I still can.

    What I find more disturbing is the dying off of Hi Fi separates. There used to be a huge range of gear available which has now shrunk to handful of units. People seem to be going for lower quality streaming solutions. I guess its not surprising that since Spotify is killing music it is also killing the medium that we use to listen to music. I find it very sad that with all the tech available that people are favouring quantity and convenience over quality.

  6. #31
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    3,110
    Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    I am also 63 and HATE bluray. I am a Mac user which makes it difficult, and I hate 5.1 music. I want to be in front of the band not IN the band. I want my music on Hi Rez FLAC downloads. 2 Channel only. Please..
    Don't hate it... Just never bothered with it, as I had DVD, which is fine by me, as I'm not that much of an ayatollah in terms of quality (whether video or sound).

    I've got a few 5.1, but they came as "bonus" in remasters I bought some 10 years ago. I'll probably stick with stereo channels for the rest of my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I've decided that I don't like Blu Ray and I don't like 5.1 even though I've probably never heard them!
    Therefore, they should not be allowed to exist!


    It is annoying that in some cases, you're forced to buy them (usually, that's a deal beaker with me)

    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Most millennials don't even own a CD player...one would assume that extends to Blu-Ray players.
    they still live at their parents (and plan to do so, until they're 45), so they've got daddy's stuff to profit. That's why they buy vinyl , they use grandpa's turntable, BTW.

    Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Most millennials don't own anything. Most are lazy, stupid, clueless, broke, gullible, and for the most part, useless. Extremely sad but true.
    You mean outside their iPhone or dumbphone??

    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    I'm not really offended, but I was born in '86 and most of my contemporaries own at least one thing.
    The shirt on their back??

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
    Will they still manufacture DVD players?
    ---
    Looks like they announced end of new design, not end of life or end of sale.
    MMmmhhh!!!... Thinking of buying a reserve DVD player (one should suffice as I'm not getting that much mileage of my DVDs), like I've got two CD players waiting in the pit, ready to play overtime
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

  7. #32
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    878
    I just bought a 4K Blu ray player for my new TV and Criterion movie collection.

    Imo, it doesn't really get much better if you love film.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  8. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marietta GA
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Please clarify. Do you mean you have "thousands of Blu-Ray Audio discs" (didn't think they made that many?) or do you mean you use your Blu-Ray player for playing standard CDs?
    Thousands of CD....but I also have hundreds of Blu-ray Discs.....almost all movies are now released in Blu-ray format.....and many concerts are as well, as are the 5.1 remixes....
    So much music....so little time....

  9. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marietta GA
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    It's not that surprising to me that Blu Ray hasn't taken off in the mass market, to me the picture difference is hardly noticeable. However, although I haven't got into surround sound I have enjoyed the Yes, Steven Wilson & other music audio and concert Blu Rays for the better sound. My Pioneer unit that I've had for about 5 years is starting to go awry so I think I'd better buy a replacement while I still can.

    What I find more disturbing is the dying off of Hi Fi separates. There used to be a huge range of gear available which has now shrunk to handful of units. People seem to be going for lower quality streaming solutions. I guess its not surprising that since Spotify is killing music it is also killing the medium that we use to listen to music. I find it very sad that with all the tech available that people are favouring quantity and convenience over quality.
    I agree with your disappointment in people choosing simplicity over quality....it’s truly amazing.... I think a lot of that has to do with people not being exposed to what better hardware can do....there is a huge difference in the color accuracy, brightness, contrast, and sharpness in Blu-ray over DVD...if the TV being used is also a better quality TV, and is larger than 40”. But the sound quality is astoundingly better.....but none of that matters if the hardware (Blu-ray player) isn’t hooked up correctly. And that’s another problem...if it is hooked wrong, people end up seeing the picture and it may look worse than a DVD player.....also, many people were never aware that Blu-ray players are backward compatible......a lot of this issue has to do with lack of education by the industry towards the customer.....
    So much music....so little time....

  10. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post

    What I find more disturbing is the dying off of Hi Fi separates. There used to be a huge range of gear available which has now shrunk to handful of units.
    This I don't get at all. There is a ton of gear being manufactured, and for the money it's better quality than ever before. No, you aren't going to Best Buy and finding a bunch of hi-fi separates, but that's a whole different story.

  11. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,532
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    I'm not really offended, but I was born in '86 and most of my contemporaries own at least one thing.
    Yeah I wonder why I post here at all over recent times. We should leave it to become an echo chamber of cranky old bastards. Some on here regularly prove that they are not as 'progressive' as they like to think.

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Most millennials don't own anything. Most are lazy, stupid, clueless, broke, gullible, and for the most part, useless. Extremely sad but true.
    Oh brother... I'm not offended really, but that is a bunch of baloney. I was born in '84 and I own a home, and have had a job since I was in college. Most of my childhood friends and/or family members who are in my age group also manage to hold down steady jobs, provide a home for their families, etc.

  13. #38
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,411
    I enjoy the blu-ray format, and I want to be able to enjoy the movies and TV series I have bought for years to come, but more importantly I want there to always be a player available to me for my thousands of CDs - for which I use my blu-ray player currently. If the blu-ray format itself eventually falls by the wayside, so be it, but I need a decent disc player of some kind for my CDs. I really hope they don't become the expensive niche systems that decent turntables are now.
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

  14. #39
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,062
    This is sad, as a baby boomer, watching many of the things and technology disappear into the cloud is both difficult and sad.
    But I'm certain, every generation of adults have had to adjust as life around them changes when the most current and relevant generation exerts their influence.
    I do feel the millenial generation have had a larger impact on society than I've seen in my 70+ years. Their embrace, no make that, obsession with technology has had a huge impact on the rest of us and society, manufacturing and advertising.
    I do see a danger in the total reliance of technology, for there may come a day when due to power gridlocks or failure of power will leave them helpless. Everyone is so connected to their phone media it's alarming and scary.
    But as much as I place blame on millenials for many of the changes we are seeing today, I don't think name-calling is necessary.

    It's funny, I like blu ray for watching concerts, but many of my older DVD's that I upgraded to blu ray versions, I prefer the original DVD's. I don't have surround sound, so stereo movies are fine with me.
    I even upgraded all my James Bond movies(Sean Connery/Roger Moore)to Blu Ray and one day sold them and my Star Trek original series Blu Rays and rebought the Star Trek ones, I already had the Bond one's in original format and kept them.
    I think it's because they are softer and remind me more of film, and of course it's the way I originally saw them.

    What about regular DVD players, are they gone now too?
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  15. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I do see a danger in the total reliance of technology, for there may come a day when due to power gridlocks or failure of power will leave them helpless. Everyone is so connected to their phone media it's alarming and scary.
    If you think about it, the phone is basically like carrying around a part of your brain in your pocket. It's only a matter of time before the external drive becomes internal.

    The future probably looks scary to us, based on how we grew up, but the future is a human/computer hive that will have almost unimaginable possibilities in some areas, yet obviously quite limiting in others.

  16. #41
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,382
    I still buy DVDs and CDs because I live in a very rural area where I'm happy if I see three bars on my cell service and we get outages on cable/internet from time to time. I store all my digital stuff on external hard drives because you can't trust the reliability/availability of the cloud or just plain trust the motivations/intentions of the cloud providers. I think I'll get a couple new players that upscale to 4K and be done with it. I'll be 62 this fall and if I take care of things they might be the last I need. CD players will get updated next year when I redo all the audio in the house.

    We do stream movies/TV quite a bit but this winter was brutal and we lost the Web a few times. Summer thunderstorms will likely do the same. For the same reason I download all the ebooks I buy to my external drives. You never know.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  17. #42
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    It's funny, I like blu ray for watching concerts, but many of my older DVD's that I upgraded to blu ray versions, I prefer the original DVD's. I think it's because they are softer and remind me more of film, and of course it's the way I originally saw them.
    "Warmer." The word you're looking for is "warmer" -- and VHS tapes are even warmer than DVD!

    There's a quantifiable difference in picture quality between DVD and BRD which is obvious on a 4K TV, but the difference may be incremental rather than exponential, and won't show up at all on a TV that's not capable of displaying the higher image resolution. I've been astounded at how much better even old B&W movies from the '40s look in BR -- and new modern digitally-recorded movies, of course, look astonishing.

    But for me the primary benefit of BRD over DVD is the additional capacity, which leads many studios to stuff in extras not seen on the DVD.

  18. #43
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,225
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ The latter.
    So, if your BR player dies and you can't get a replacement, you'll have to start listening to CDs on a CD player?

  19. #44
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    3,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    This I don't get at all. There is a ton of gear being manufactured, and for the money it's better quality than ever before. No, you aren't going to Best Buy and finding a bunch of hi-fi separates, but that's a whole different story.
    Well, I can easily imagine that midquality makers like Panasonic or Sony will stop soon, but the high-end makers will prevail, IMHO

    Thpugh there might not be place for all of them in a reduced market.

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Yeah I wonder why I post here at all over recent times. We should leave it to become an echo chamber of cranky old bastards. Some on here regularly prove that they are not as 'progressive' as they like to think.
    Better be a "has-been" than a "will never be"

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I do feel the millenial generation have had a larger impact on society than I've seen in my 70+ years. Their embrace, no make that, obsession with technology has had a huge impact on the rest of us and society, manufacturing and advertising.
    Let's just say that the 80's & 90's & 00's generations were just content on going with the technology and happy to spend away their money....

    But the "millenials" are more intent on spending their money otherwise, though it's just as mindless than previous generations. However a small minority of them are indeed intending to change society in the long term, especially when it comes to society's consumerism.



    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    "Warmer." The word you're looking for is "warmer" -- and VHS tapes are even warmer than DVD!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

  20. #45
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    "Warmer." The word you're looking for is "warmer" -- and VHS tapes are even warmer than DVD!

    There's a quantifiable difference in picture quality between DVD and BRD which is obvious on a 4K TV, but the difference may be incremental rather than exponential, and won't show up at all on a TV that's not capable of displaying the higher image resolution. I've been astounded at how much better even old B&W movies from the '40s look in BR -- and new modern digitally-recorded movies, of course, look astonishing.

    But for me the primary benefit of BRD over DVD is the additional capacity, which leads many studios to stuff in extras not seen on the DVD.
    LOL, I'm not talking about the analog digital debate but a personal preference, but that was funny.
    I happen to also think the first 3 Star Wars films with the limited technology Lucas had to work with are better than the digital effects blowout he used in the next 3 he released.
    There are certain albums from the 70's I think sound better on vinyl than their cd counterparts.
    It's not science it's my preference. Not gonna sell the analog sounds better than digital other than say "sometimes".
    What you enjoy is up to you and anyone with a pic of a cat in their profile is ok by me.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  21. #46
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    If you think about it, the phone is basically like carrying around a part of your brain in your pocket. It's only a matter of time before the external drive becomes internal.

    The future probably looks scary to us, based on how we grew up, but the future is a human/computer hive that will have almost unimaginable possibilities in some areas, yet obviously quite limiting in others.
    I believe mankind has already proven it can't handle some of the knowledge it's given and I'm onboard with Stephan Hawking when he warns of the dangers of AI if we push beyond our limits.
    I was also referring to becoming too reliant on technology for even the most mundane of chores, and losing our human relationship with the earth around us. Again, I don't think we've proven as a caretakers and inhabitants of this planet we can handle technology at the rate it's expanding.
    Science Fiction writers have been writing of this stuff for a long time, and in many cases their fiction has become reality.
    We only need to look at our history of time on this planet and we have a very bad record of not learning from our mistakes.

    So, what are we supposed to do with our blu ray collections?
    Last edited by Top Cat; 04-23-2019 at 04:21 PM.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  22. #47
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    That's why they buy vinyl , they use grandpa's turntable, BTW.
    Not too long ago, the BBC reported that some millennials will look at the jacket of a vinyl record, while listening to the MP3 version.

    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    -- and VHS tapes are even warmer than DVD!
    I know you're joking, but that's actually not far from the truth. Yes, the linear audio track will sound worse than an audio cassette, because a VHS tape in SP mode will move slightly slower than an audio cassette. In LP or SLP mode, it sounds absolutely horrible. The FM encoded, flying head Hi-Fi Stereo track on the other hand rivals CDs in every respect, in terms of tech specs. Plus it gives more of analog sound. Just as an example, my John Tesh Live At Red Rocks VHS tape sounds a hell of a lot better than the later DVD version. Same with my copy of G3 live, form the original G3 tour.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  23. #48
    Moderator Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I've decided that I don't like Blu Ray and I don't like 5.1 even though I've probably never heard them!
    Therefore, they should not be allowed to exist!
    That's the spirit!

  24. #49
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    807
    In the not so distant past, the primary reason for owning a VCR, then DVD player, then BD player was to go to the local Blockbuster and rent a movie. That then morphed into the original Netflix, which mailed discs. Now that Blockbuster is a thing of the past, and Netflix transitioned to streaming, the only remaining reason for the average person to own a BD player is to buy a physical copy of the movie. I don't know about you, but I balk at the idea of spending $25 on a movie I'm only going to watch once.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  25. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Yeah I wonder why I post here at all over recent times. We should leave it to become an echo chamber of cranky old bastards. Some on here regularly prove that they are not as 'progressive' as they like to think.
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Oh brother... I'm not offended really, but that is a bunch of baloney. I was born in '84 and I own a home, and have had a job since I was in college. Most of my childhood friends and/or family members who are in my age group also manage to hold down steady jobs, provide a home for their families, etc.
    It's an isolation from reality, enhanced with age. The other day someone was posting about Scott Walker's demise "how young he was". Scott was 76 years old when he died.

    Anyway kiddos, go get a job and we'll talk about prog-rock later.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •