Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 89 of 89

Thread: Rush: New Book-Wandering The Face Of The Earth-The Offical Touring History 10/15/2019

  1. #76
    One thing I would like to have a collection of is - a collection of Neil's reactions when he got stuck doing stuff he didnt want to do ( which towards retirement, seemed like just about everything), or when he found himself in intolerable situations. - like during the Moving Pictures tour when he talks about "We didnt change - the fans did"... What were some of the things that set him off?

    They could call it "Pissed off at the face of the earth -eh?".

    I'm only partially joking. You know these guys talk about this stuff on occasion with each other and with other acquaintances, who they trust. Some pretty funny stories, I would guess. Perhaps some are in this book, which I havent bought yet, so what am I doing commenting???...
    I got nothin'

    ...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

    live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PapaYode...=page_internal

  2. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottnow View Post
    This book is great!
    Still savoring the Vapor Trails chapter, but I'd agree with that assessment. Surprised to find the B-Man involved.

  3. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    The interview has the usual tool-talk stuff, but Rush fans need to watch it. Alex drops loads of little nerd nuggets throughout -- lots of stuff I learned for the first time.
    I think a lot of it is really doesn't need to be careful of what he says anymore. He just talks which is great.

  4. #79
    Should I ask for this book or some new clothes which will fit me for Christmas?

    The book will entertain me for a few days but clothes, man, sorta gotta have stuff that fits, right? A better long term investment.

    Think I might go with the book.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

  5. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Should I ask for this book or some new clothes which will fit me for Christmas?

    The book will entertain me for a few days but clothes, man, sorta gotta have stuff that fits, right? A better long term investment.

    Think I might go with the book.
    I got clothes for Christmas too. ...and the Criterion edition of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

    Almost finished with the book, but not quite.

  6. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by skipdaly View Post
    We tried to include interesting stories whenever/wherever we could. This is why we interviewed a ton of crew from over the years, and yes, we always worked hard to tie interesting stories to specific dates --- that was very important to me, and it took time & effort, but wasn't as hard as you might think, so long as our underlying data was sound. It's often like doing a puzzle, making sure the pieces fit together.
    It would be interesting to see a list of personal memories from the fans about the shows. I would have to mention the April 10, 1988 show at Hara Arena in Dayton Ohio. Last show of the US leg, no opening band, band was very relaxed. At one point during the show a pizza delivery guy came on stage to deliver a pizza to Alex.

  7. #82
    This book is excellent. I'm in the ATWAS chapter right now and enjoying it immensely. Unfortunately, the lingering question of whether or not The Fountain of Lamneth was ever played live still stands even after going through the CoS chapter. The authors clearly state that according to crew anecdotes, it was NOT played live (either in full or even just certain sections) but in some of the individual show notes, audience members (or critics) clearly indicate hearing lyrics for Panacea (and Bacchus Plateau?) at the show. I wish there was a definitive answer, but I guess it's just too obscure a time period and too long ago for anyone to accurately say.

  8. #83
    I just started to read and noticed that the concert I went to in July 1992, the second to the last show of the Roll The Bones tour in Alpine Valley, WI, had almost 22,000 rabid fans, and I'm not sure that included the lawn. Other concerts were around 11,000 to 15,000 so could that have been the largest Rush concert apart from the Rio shows?

  9. #84
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    East Linton, Scotland
    Posts
    297
    I spent my xmas hols with this book, sound-tracking my reading sessions with various Rush bootlegs, and ended up totally absorbed.

    So much so, that I've put together a blog review of the book, from a fan's perspective, which might be of interest:

    https://momentstransition.wordpress....ory-1968-2015/

  10. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I spent my xmas hols with this book, sound-tracking my reading sessions with various Rush bootlegs, and ended up totally absorbed.

    So much so, that I've put together a blog review of the book, from a fan's perspective, which might be of interest:

    https://momentstransition.wordpress....ory-1968-2015/
    Great review! I wish every band I loved had a book like this as this kind of detail/depth is fascinating. I've had it for almost a month and am still just on the ATWAS chapter (though I read it pretty much entirely on the toilet...) so I still have much more to go.

  11. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by DTA View Post
    Great review! I wish every band I loved had a book like this as this kind of detail/depth is fascinating. I've had it for almost a month and am still just on the ATWAS chapter (though I read it pretty much entirely on the toilet...) so I still have much more to go.
    Caress of porcelain?
    Orange is the new stupid.

  12. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by DTA View Post
    Great review!
    But did he have to twist the knife?

    "... you can buy this book with confidence, knowing that it’s not going to go out of date with new gigs to be listed!"

  13. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Caress of porcelain?
    All the world's a shitter

  14. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    But did he have to twist the knife?

    "... you can buy this book with confidence, knowing that it’s not going to go out of date with new gigs to be listed!"
    Hopefully they never play live again otherwise this book will be pointless!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •