Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rush: New Book-Wandering The Face Of The Earth-The Offical Touring History 10/15/2019

One thing I would like to have a collection of is - a collection of Neil's reactions when he got stuck doing stuff he didnt want to do ( which towards retirement, seemed like just about everything), or when he found himself in intolerable situations. - like during the Moving Pictures tour when he talks about "We didnt change - the fans did"... What were some of the things that set him off?

They could call it "Pissed off at the face of the earth -eh?".

I'm only partially joking. You know these guys talk about this stuff on occasion with each other and with other acquaintances, who they trust. Some pretty funny stories, I would guess. Perhaps some are in this book, which I havent bought yet, so what am I doing commenting???...

Quote Originally Posted by elliottnow View Post
    This book is great!
    Still savoring the Vapor Trails chapter, but I'd agree with that assessment. Surprised to find the B-Man involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    The interview has the usual tool-talk stuff, but Rush fans need to watch it. Alex drops loads of little nerd nuggets throughout -- lots of stuff I learned for the first time.
    I think a lot of it is really doesn't need to be careful of what he says anymore. He just talks which is great.

Should I ask for this book or some new clothes which will fit me for Christmas?

The book will entertain me for a few days but clothes, man, sorta gotta have stuff that fits, right? A better long term investment.

Think I might go with the book.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Should I ask for this book or some new clothes which will fit me for Christmas?

The book will entertain me for a few days but clothes, man, sorta gotta have stuff that fits, right? A better long term investment.

Think I might go with the book.
    I got clothes for Christmas too. ...and the Criterion edition of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

Almost finished with the book, but not quite.

Quote Originally Posted by skipdaly View Post
    We tried to include interesting stories whenever/wherever we could. This is why we interviewed a ton of crew from over the years, and yes, we always worked hard to tie interesting stories to specific dates --- that was very important to me, and it took time & effort, but wasn't as hard as you might think, so long as our underlying data was sound. It's often like doing a puzzle, making sure the pieces fit together.
    It would be interesting to see a list of personal memories from the fans about the shows. I would have to mention the April 10, 1988 show at Hara Arena in Dayton Ohio. Last show of the US leg, no opening band, band was very relaxed. At one point during the show a pizza delivery guy came on stage to deliver a pizza to Alex.

This book is excellent. I'm in the ATWAS chapter right now and enjoying it immensely. Unfortunately, the lingering question of whether or not The Fountain of Lamneth was ever played live still stands even after going through the CoS chapter. The authors clearly state that according to crew anecdotes, it was NOT played live (either in full or even just certain sections) but in some of the individual show notes, audience members (or critics) clearly indicate hearing lyrics for Panacea (and Bacchus Plateau?) at the show. I wish there was a definitive answer, but I guess it's just too obscure a time period and too long ago for anyone to accurately say.

I just started to read and noticed that the concert I went to in July 1992, the second to the last show of the Roll The Bones tour in Alpine Valley, WI, had almost 22,000 rabid fans, and I'm not sure that included the lawn. Other concerts were around 11,000 to 15,000 so could that have been the largest Rush concert apart from the Rio shows?

I spent my xmas hols with this book, sound-tracking my reading sessions with various Rush bootlegs, and ended up totally absorbed.

So much so, that I've put together a blog review of the book, from a fan's perspective, which might be of interest:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....ory-1968-2015/

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I spent my xmas hols with this book, sound-tracking my reading sessions with various Rush bootlegs, and ended up totally absorbed.

So much so, that I've put together a blog review of the book, from a fan's perspective, which might be of interest:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....ory-1968-2015/
    Great review! I wish every band I loved had a book like this as this kind of detail/depth is fascinating. I've had it for almost a month and am still just on the ATWAS chapter (though I read it pretty much entirely on the toilet...) so I still have much more to go.

Quote Originally Posted by DTA View Post
    Great review! I wish every band I loved had a book like this as this kind of detail/depth is fascinating. I've had it for almost a month and am still just on the ATWAS chapter (though I read it pretty much entirely on the toilet...) so I still have much more to go.
    Caress of porcelain?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Great review!
    But did he have to twist the knife?

"... you can buy this book with confidence, knowing that it’s not going to go out of date with new gigs to be listed!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Caress of porcelain?
    All the world's a shitter

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    But did he have to twist the knife?

"... you can buy this book with confidence, knowing that it’s not going to go out of date with new gigs to be listed!"
    Hopefully they never play live again otherwise this book will be pointless!

Hopefully they never play live again otherwise this book will be pointless!
    Bump.
    This thread was never updated. Neil has passed away since the last post and which makes the book eternal and will never be pointless.

Mine arrived yesterday. OMG when I sensed the weight and size of it, it is a truly beautiful book and I got it about two months after I went to the Geddy Lee signing of his BBBB!
    Now I have lots more Rush to sink my eyes and mind into for the coming weeks!
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Just bought it. On my way to Barnes and Noble to pick it up... Awesome! Only problem is - I want it as a nook book. I hate carrying a big old clunking book around. BBBB will be next, maybe I need a shelf just for those books, Oh and I already have Roadshow in book form... Neil did Nook books, what's with Rush not joining the digital revolution?

Whoa, its a big mother! I tried to get Geddy's BBBB - they said they had a copy in stock, but apparently it was missing...

I've been enjoying it for a few weeks now. Boy, this is not a book you want to drop on your foot!

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I've been enjoying it for a few weeks now. Boy, this is not a book you want to drop on your foot!
    Funny you say that. I actually did.
    Chad

This book is the REAL thing. Far better than those cheesy Memorabilia Books (Iron Maiden, Queen, U2 etc.) that come with ticket replicas, backstage pass fake prints and poor quality posters.

I agree that it is much more convenient to carry the digital version around but you can't appreciate the photography unless you get good quality resolution.
    The only thing missing here is a nice soundtrack but as Rush fans, we have the music engraved in our memories just by looking at the images.

I have to see the funny side of all those critics reviews that are included who just don't have a clue about Rush, I mean really, utterly clueless. Interesting that it was only when the band came back after Peart's tragedies that the reviews generally improved, somehow they were almost cool?