Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rush: New Book-Wandering The Face Of The Earth-The Offical Touring History 10/15/2019

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Yeah, there are always discrepancies with all of these compilations. I noticed that the AFTK show I saw in Oct. '77 was listed as having Max Webster as the opener, when UFO was also on the bill.

YEP, both UFO and Max on the bill for that run of dates, with Max kicking off the show. Which gig were you at?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I've never looked into it, but: Does Rush have any commercial videos available of a 70s concert?
    Their Passaic, NJ 12/10/76 opening act set from Capitol Theater was released as a "bonus" in the R40 Bluray box set that was put out around 2014/2015.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrBWZscNR18&t=869s

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

The book will be interesting to me if fleshed out with anecdotes and new pictures. Otherwise a dry listing of tour dates is something I just look at briefly online to see the shows I attended. RE: pictures. At the May 23, 1980 Nassau Coliseum show they came out for the encore wearing NY Islander hockey jerseys because the Isles were on the verge of winning their first Stanley Cup the following night in that very arena. I've yet to find a picture of that anywhere. RE: anecdotes. I would imagine that 40 years of intensive touring is a blur of highways, airports, hotels and backstage dressing rooms. Are they even able to remember an incident from a show from 30 years ago as to specifics of what arena, what city, what tour, etc.?
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    At the May 23, 1980 Nassau Coliseum show they came out for the encore wearing NY Islander hockey jerseys because the Isles were on the verge of winning their first Stanley Cup the following night in that very arena. I've yet to find a picture of that anywhere.
    But there are photos and video footage of Clark Gillies' drop pass to Butch Goring that was clearly offsides.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by skipdaly View Post
    YEP, both UFO and Max on the bill for that run of dates, with Max kicking off the show. Which gig were you at?
    OKC, Civic Center Music Hall. That was the second show in OKC that year. The first was in January or Feb with Rush the middle act for Ted Nugent, Artful Dodger opened.

The book will be interesting to me if fleshed out with anecdotes and new pictures. Otherwise a dry listing of tour dates is something I just look at briefly online to see the shows I attended. RE: pictures. At the May 23, 1980 Nassau Coliseum show they came out for the encore wearing NY Islander hockey jerseys because the Isles were on the verge of winning their first Stanley Cup the following night in that very arena. I've yet to find a picture of that anywhere. RE: anecdotes. I would imagine that 40 years of intensive touring is a blur of highways, airports, hotels and backstage dressing rooms. Are they even able to remember an incident from a show from 30 years ago as to specifics of what arena, what city, what tour, etc.?
    I hear you. We tried to include interesting stories whenever/wherever we could. This is why we interviewed a ton of crew from over the years, and yes, we always worked hard to tie interesting stories to specific dates --- that was very important to me, and it took time & effort, but wasn't as hard as you might think, so long as our underlying data was sound. It's often like doing a puzzle, making sure the pieces fit together.

By way of example - here's a little sneak peek of one date entry from the original manuscript we submitted (the publisher's design team has obviously since done a phenomenal job of cleaning things up and making it look a lot nicer!):

19790327.jpg

OKC, Civic Center Music Hall. That was the second show in OKC that year. The first was in January or Feb with Rush the middle act for Ted Nugent, Artful Dodger opened.
    Cool. Yeah, that earlier date you refer to was 1/14/77, when they were touring behind "2112"/"All The World's A Stage." They then came back on 10/15/77, supporting "A Farewell To Kings."

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    But there are photos and video footage of Clark Gillies' drop pass to Butch Goring that was clearly offsides.
    Damn Flyers fans.......

Actually, I'm pretty sure I have that picture in one of my books.
    Last edited by ytserush; 08-18-2019 at 07:00 PM. Reason: adding more

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the Forum, and am one of the authors of this upcoming Rush book ("Wandering The Face Of The Earth"). Eric Hansen is my co-author - you all may know him as the guy who runs the excellent Rush fan site "Power Windows."

Just wanted to quickly provide a bit more info/context, as well as address some of the specific questions that have arisen...

This project has been a labor of love and has been in progress for almost ten years. It started quite honestly as a conversation between Eric and myself, as we were collaborating on research to further flesh out the historical tour dates listing on his site ("Wouldn't it be cool if there was a book of this info, along with road stories, other data, etc.?").

It took a while, but we eventually got the blessing of the band's management, which led to access to their archives, as well as the ability to interview a lot of the road crew (past and present) for anecdotes and stories from their 40+ years of touring.

As others have pointed out, a lot of information on the internet is either incomplete or wrong, and we've taken great pains to get things right. To be fair, some of the band's own data had gaps, so a TON of original research went into this effort. This book literally contains some dates that no one has documented/published before (and, in some other cases, corrects previously stated inaccuracies).

To answer someone's question, yes, we also include ticket prices, attendance/capacity figures, and grosses (whenever this data can be unearthed). Did we bat 100%? No - some things are simply (at least at time of publication) still lost to the mists of time, and 40+ years is a huge amount to cover. But I can honestly say that this is the most comprehensive record of the band's touring history that has been done thus far. And that was really what motivated us --- i.e. a desire to own a book like this as a fan. (What to do if you want a book and the book doesn't exist? Spend 10 years writing it! LOL)

Someone else mentioned the Kiss book as a potential comparison, I believe? That book was absolutely one of multiple reference points that helped drive the vision. So, yes, if you enjoyed the general concept of that book (i.e. a detailed accounting of tour dates), then I do believe you will enjoy what we've compiled here.

Anyway, I just wanted to shed a little more light on what this is, and how it came to pass. Rather than being some cynical, marketing driven cash grab, it really was a labor of love from a couple of hardcore fans, who eventually got the band's blessing (and thereby the "official" title). We're beyond excited about it finally coming to fruition and seeing light of day here in a couple months, and I hope people will enjoy it as much as we enjoyed putting it together!

Cheers,
    -Skip
    Congratulations! And thanks for filling a huge need.

Where's the best place to buy this? I do NOT want to go through Amazon. Rush website says there will be an extra gift if you order through them. (I was planning on ordering through you (unless it's one in the same.) Can you shed some light on what this "gift" might be? Will signed copies be available?

Were you allowed into the archives and vault and if so what did you find?

I hear you. We tried to include interesting stories whenever/wherever we could. This is why we interviewed a ton of crew from over the years, and yes, we always worked hard to tie interesting stories to specific dates --- that was very important to me, and it took time & effort, but wasn't as hard as you might think, so long as our underlying data was sound. It's often like doing a puzzle, making sure the pieces fit together.

By way of example - here's a little sneak peek of one date entry from the original manuscript we submitted (the publisher's design team has obviously since done a phenomenal job of cleaning things up and making it look a lot nicer!):

19790327.jpg
    OK, THAT'S a great story!

Great job, Skip. A true labor of love. By chance, are you compiling a list of song performances prior to their official releases? There are some cool ones out there with early variations that never made it to the final discs.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Cool. Yeah, that earlier date you refer to was 1/14/77, when they were touring behind "2112"/"All The World's A Stage." They then came back on 10/15/77, supporting "A Farewell To Kings."
    Yeah, as I remember it... it was almost like seeing two different bands. They had changed that much. Especially with the AFTK material.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Congratulations! And thanks for filling a huge need.

Where's the best place to buy this? I do NOT want to go through Amazon. Rush website says there will be an extra gift if you order through them. (I was planning on ordering through you (unless it's one in the same.) Can you shed some light on what this "gift" might be? Will signed copies be available?

Were you allowed into the archives and vault and if so what did you find?

Here's the link we've been plugging, as it's direct from the band's merch company:
    https://www.rushbackstage.com/produc...istory?cp=null

I do not know what the "special gift" is, sorry.

As of now, I've not heard of any signed editions (I'm assuming you mean by the band, as opposed to Eric and I - LOL!), but I believe the publisher is still planning / talking with folks in the Rush organization.

In terms of "access to the vault," we were given access/approval to interview crew (past and present) and also some documentation on historical tourdates (which helped, but was in no means "complete", so we still had to do a TON of original research).

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Great job, Skip. A true labor of love. By chance, are you compiling a list of song performances prior to their official releases? There are some cool ones out there with early variations that never made it to the final discs.
    Thank you for the kind comment. I don't think a list of pre-release song performances made it in here, per se, but we do tend to call out (in the context of the tour dates listing) notable "debut" performances of songs, etc.
    Hope this helps...(and yes, there are some cool points in their history where songs were first unveiled on stage!)

Here's the link we've been plugging, as it's direct from the band's merch company:
    https://www.rushbackstage.com/produc...istory?cp=null

I do not know what the "special gift" is, sorry.

As of now, I've not heard of any signed editions (I'm assuming you mean by the band, as opposed to Eric and I - LOL!), but I believe the publisher is still planning / talking with folks in the Rush organization.

In terms of "access to the vault," we were given access/approval to interview crew (past and present) and also some documentation on historical tourdates (which helped, but was in no means "complete", so we still had to do a TON of original research).
    Thanks for the link I was planning on getting it there if you didn't have a website.

While I think it would be great if the band signed a number of books, I really was asking if you guys were going to be selling signed copies. I mean, it was YOU that did the work right?

Maybe this answers what they meant when it said at the end of last week's Cinema Stragniato: "See you next year!"

I know this book (Wandering) will release this year but in its contents there could be hints or clues of an upcoming recording or at tour even..?

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Maybe this answers what they meant when it said at the end of last week's Cinema Stragniato: "See you next year!"

I know this book (Wandering) will release this year but in its contents there could be hints or clues of an upcoming recording or at tour even..?

No. Sorry. The band has made it pretty clear that Rush is finished. Neil has retired - not only from the band, but from drumming.

We're a month out now......

Thanks for posting that sample, Skip. Now I'm all over this book!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Thanks for posting that sample, Skip. Now I'm all over this book!
    I just read it too - wow... friggin awesome little story. I too am frothing a bit!

No. Sorry. The band has made it pretty clear that Rush is finished. Neil has retired - not only from the band, but from drumming.
    Here's what Alex has been up to lately.

This book is great!

Here's what Alex has been up to lately.

The interview has the usual tool-talk stuff, but Rush fans need to watch it. Alex drops loads of little nerd nuggets throughout -- lots of stuff I learned for the first time.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.