Thread: If I like B.A.D, then...

If I like B.A.D, then...

Hi all,

I'm not sure what's come over me. For about 10 days straight all I've been listening to is Big Audio Dynamite. I liked them ok back in the 80's and, like I said, about 10 days ago I just had an urge to listen to them after about a decade.

Wow, this has really connected with me. They have aged extremely well, even with the canned beats. (In fact an argument can be made that those beats are what gives this band it's charm) I love their lyrics, love Mick Jones' minimal rhythm guitar playing and think his voice his awesome in an untrained, naive sort of way. Also, the little production ear worms that film producer Don Letts add are essential to the sound. I suspect he's a "non-musician" but his input is completely relevant and germaine to the character of the band. (B.A.D. II without Letts is just is good, maybe even better!!)

Anything out there even like this? (No need to mention the Clash, I love them to death but not what I'm looking for). I find B.A.D. highly original with a sound that still sounds fresh and vibrant 3 decades later.

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Maybe Propaganda, Art of Noise, Colourbox, PiL
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Another band you might like is Urban Dance Squad. More rap, but a part of that same general 80s/90s Euro scene.

Which BAD CDs do you think are the best, BTW? I had "The Globe" back in the day which had their two really good (and big US) hits Rush and the Globe. The rest of the album was filler so I completely forgot about them after that.

Hi Arturs,

Respectfully disagree about "The Globe". On the contrary, I think Rush is one of the weakest cuts on that album. If you have the inkling, go back and listen to it, especially "Innocent Child", "Green Grass", "Kool-Aid" and "When the time comes". All excellent songs IMHO!

As far as cd's, I love "The Globe", "No. 10 Upping Street" (with songs written with Joe Strummer) and "Tighten Up Vol. 88". The last I remember not being that impressed with on it's release but since my revisit of the catalog, it's moved up the list and now one of my favorites.

There first one, "This is BAD" is quite good but a little uneven and the last one (thats readily available) "Mega Top Phoenix" definitely has it's moments as well but also has the most filler of all of them. I know there was another unreleased album that is supposedly available somewhere to stream but I haven't made the effort to look for it.

Best
    Michael

^^^ Yeah I'll dig out the Globe and give it another listen. It has been 25 years probably!

maybe Art Of Noise
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Bob Marley is always good, although I think BAD throw in more electronics etc. UB40 is another one that was hot in the day, and I still enjoy listening too. Check out Can's Future Days, I think you'd like it. Check out Pil's Second Edition. Also check out Jah Wobble's Betrayal album--it's really fine.

Jah Wobble is a very good suggestion. Also the Steel Pulse - True Democracy album is great

Perhaps also The English Beat. Try their album I Just Can't Stop It
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I still enjoy BAD from time to time, and this thread may prompt a listening session, as it has been a while.

Do you have Mick Jones albums with Carbon Silicon, recorded with Tony James? They are less produced that BAD but have all of those other elements you reference, lyrics, guitar, voice. I haven’t listed to those in a while either, and feel an urge to.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Jah Wobble is a very good suggestion. Also the Steel Pulse - True Democracy album is great

Perhaps also The English Beat. Try their album I Just Can't Stop It
    Snake Charmer by Jah Wobble and Holger Czukay is pretty good too.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Saw BAD back in the day. Great show!!! I don't think anyone sounds quite like them.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Snake Charmer by Jah Wobble and Holger Czukay is pretty good too.
    I hadn't thought about the connection between solo Czukay and BAD but it is there, with I suppose Jah Wobble being the indirect link. The primitive sampling, the dub beats, the overall loose and carefree aesthetic , etc., are common to both. I have really liked what I have heard of Czukay/Wobble/Liebezeit's Full Circle. I recently noticed that album was back in print, so I may pick it up at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    Hi Arturs,

Respectfully disagree about "The Globe". On the contrary, I think Rush is one of the weakest cuts on that album. If you have the inkling, go back and listen to it, especially "Innocent Child", "Green Grass", "Kool-Aid" and "When the time comes". All excellent songs IMHO!

As far as cd's, I love "The Globe", "No. 10 Upping Street" (with songs written with Joe Strummer) and "Tighten Up Vol. 88". The last I remember not being that impressed with on it's release but since my revisit of the catalog, it's moved up the list and now one of my favorites.

There first one, "This is BAD" is quite good but a little uneven and the last one (thats readily available) "Mega Top Phoenix" definitely has it's moments as well but also has the most filler of all of them. I know there was another unreleased album that is supposedly available somewhere to stream but I haven't made the effort to look for it.

Best
    Michael
    I love The Globe - all of it. It is way up my list of individual albums I like.

It's possibly a hop, skip or a jump too far from B.A.D. for you, but more or less anything that Adrian Sherwood produced for the On-U Sound label is worth checking out. The earlier On-U house band was more rootsy/dub reggae (African Head Charge/Dub Syndicate) - but once the Sugarhill alumni (Keith Leblanc, Skip MacDonald & Doug Wimbish) settled in, the dub grooves took on a rock-ier edge. Sherwood was also very inventive in the sampling that he used at that time.

You might also want to take a look at Meat Beat Manifesto - the double-A side single Helter Skelter/Radio Babylon (which has the coolest Boney M sample ever!!) would be a good place to start:

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    It's possibly a hop, skip or a jump too far from B.A.D. for you, but more or less anything that Adrian Sherwood produced for the On-U Sound label is worth checking out. The earlier On-U house band was more rootsy/dub reggae (African Head Charge/Dub Syndicate) - but once the Sugarhill alumni (Keith Leblanc, Skip MacDonald & Doug Wimbish) settled in, the dub grooves took on a rock-ier edge. Sherwood was also very inventive in the sampling that he used at that time.
    Briefly resurrecting this thread to thank everyone for their inputs but to especially give a shout out to the above. I've spent the week enjoying "Trippy Notes for Bass" by Doug Wimbish, "Major Malfunction" and "Stranger than Fiction" by Keith LeBlanc and others that may get lumped in with this group like Sons of Arqa and Sussan Deyhim, the latter who I've always liked but needed this reminder to revisit.

These were great "jumping off" releases and I absolutely plan on hearing more of this stuff. Tackhead sounds like it might be up my alley plus there are alot of Sherwood produced groups out there that my need to be heard.

Thanks all!

best
    Michael