Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 58 of 58

Thread: PE wine dork thread

  1. #51
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    3,561
    I might have a corkscrew around somewhere. .....

  2. #52
    Has anyone here tried any of those Georgian wines, the ones buried in a qvevri? I’m not sure what to make of them. Dusty, ashen. The wine version of lambic beer.

  3. #53
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,423
    This evening I am going to open a bottle of Argentinian Tempranillo, which I have never tried before. It's from the large Mendoza region. In the past I have tended to try their Malbecs (which I like a lot) and the occasional Cab Sauv (okay), but I hadn't really come across a Tempranillo from there, so I was curious and picked up a bottle. We'll see how they fare against the dominant Spanish varieties - I've been a big fan of the Riojas I've tried since learning more of them right here on PE.
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This evening I am going to open a bottle of Argentinian Tempranillo, which I have never tried before. It's from the large Mendoza region. In the past I have tended to try their Malbecs (which I like a lot) and the occasional Cab Sauv (okay), but I hadn't really come across a Tempranillo from there, so I was curious and picked up a bottle. We'll see how they fare against the dominant Spanish varieties - I've been a big fan of the Riojas I've tried since learning more of them right here on PE.
    If you like it, let us know what you had. The Mendoza region is fantastic. I'd basically try anything from there, Malbec and Carmenere in particular, though I imagine the Tempranillo would be great as well!

    Cheers!

    Bill

  5. #55
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,423
    Sure Bill, it's a 2014 Zuccardi Q - and it's very nice so far! I suspect it would be better after a couple of years of aging, but it's still enjoyable. I had read that it was fairly tannic but I actually don't find that at all. I find that it's a bit on the juicy side actually... spicy too, with plums, strawberries, chocolate... at first I was concerned about a sharp alcohol in the nose, but as it breathed a bit it calmed down. I'm fairly confident you would like it, I'm glad I gave it a try, and I'll likely grab another if they still have it when I go next week.

    I find that I am an easy sell with the hotter climate wines. Some of those Chilean Syrahs I think I mentioned before are just outstanding.
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Sure Bill, it's a 2014 Zuccardi Q - and it's very nice so far! I suspect it would be better after a couple of years of aging, but it's still enjoyable. I had read that it was fairly tannic but I actually don't find that at all. I find that it's a bit on the juicy side actually... spicy too, with plums, strawberries, chocolate... at first I was concerned about a sharp alcohol in the nose, but as it breathed a bit it calmed down. I'm fairly confident you would like it, I'm glad I gave it a try, and I'll likely grab another if they still have it when I go next week.

    I find that I am an easy sell with the hotter climate wines. Some of those Chilean Syrahs I think I mentioned before are just outstanding.
    Sweet! Sounds up my alley, I'll look for it.

    Did you decant it? If you pour the wine into a decanter about an hour before drinking, it will calm it down considerably; much as you noted it did anyway, but perhaps even more. I decant all my young reds, which is pretty much all my reds, and I find it improves them tremendously.

    I'm totally with you on the Chilean wines as well, though I'm not a huge fan of Syrah by itself. Chilean Carmeneres are generally great, and almost always a great value because nobody knows how great they are.

    Bill

  7. #57
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Did you decant it? If you pour the wine into a decanter about an hour before drinking, it will calm it down considerably; much as you noted it did anyway, but perhaps even more.
    Yes, always! In my big, lurching decanter that looks like a piece of modern art. It aerates it beautifully, but next to the Zalto glasses, it's definitely something that calls out for a more elegant 'upgrade'.
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yes, always! In my big, lurching decanter that looks like a piece of modern art. It aerates it beautifully, but next to the Zalto glasses, it's definitely something that calls out for a more elegant 'upgrade'.
    LOL! As long as it works (though in honesty I upgraded from a similar decanter for similar reasons... proving I have truly moved into wine-dorkdom)!

    Bill

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •