Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PE wine dork thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Nice. That is from the Tuscan coast, in a particularly hot region and is 70% Sangiovese, 20% Montepulciano, and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon. I'd definitely recommend drinking this with hearty and somewhat oilier food (pizza or lasagna would be a good bet, or lamb if you want meat), and open it about an hour before drinking - decant if possible.

If you like this, then now you know you like a heartier red and can look for the Sangiovese grape, or Tuscan wines like Chianti which is largely Sangiovese. None of these will taste exactly the same. Each region, and even each town within a wine producing region like Tuscany, will have their own expression of a grape (or grape combinations). But you will at least have a general sense, and it gives you a launching point for exploration. Wine shouldn't be scary, but I can understand why it might be. Try to identify what you like in a wine you like, and what you don't in those you don't, and if you can express that to someone knowledgeable then you can get some recommendations.

Hope the Montepeloso is good!

Bill
    Great info, thanks man!

I am mostly a beer guy, but do like wine on occasion. I live just to the east of Southwest Michigan wine country so there are around 20 wineries within an hour of my house. When I do drink wine I try to stay local and support the scene. I do think some of our local wines are quite good, but I am far from an expert.

It's always a fortunate thing to live close to wine country. For me it's the Niagara region, and I go a lot. There are so many beautiful wineries there, it's quite amazing. One of my favourites is Organized Crime Winery, particularly their blend called Pipe Down. You never know if their little shop will be open, it's a gamble - but if you get lucky, it's worth grabbing numerous bottles.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Great to see wine fans supporting the local scene.

There are a few wineries within a couple of hours of my humble abode in southwest Japan but the destructive trifecta of being in typhoon alley, unbelievably humid summers, and a monsoon-like rainy season limits growth severely. As a result, it's pretty tepid stuff.

There are actually winemakers in Denmark, and in good (warm) summers they produce good wine though in very small quantities (and thus too expensive).
    The summers here have to little sun, so the sugar containt gets too low, and its difficult to get over 11-12% alcohol.
    Redwine grapes commonly used: Rondo, Cabernet Cantor, Solaris, Cabernet Cortis, Léon Millot, Regent og Castel.
    Rondo is a cross between the grape varieties Vitis vinifera and Vitis amurensis.

Tonight's choice (I'm in my man cave while my wife watches Survivor in the other room) is a nice California Zin. Raspberry, cherry, vanilla are the dominant flavours to my taste buds. Not overly tannic, I haven't felt the need to chug water so far. Really enjoying it!

cd.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I had a splendid american Syrah from 2011 yesterday with my wife
    https://www.jlohr.com/wines/2016-south-ridge-syrah

I like it a lot, but I should have inhaled it earlier.
    It still good, but looses some 'fatness' after a couple of years apparently, I still have 4 bottles from 2011, 1 2012 and 3 from 2014... better get cracking

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Tonight's choice (I'm in my man cave while my wife watches Survivor in the other room) is a nice California Zin. Raspberry, cherry, vanilla are the dominant flavours to my taste buds. Not overly tannic, I haven't felt the need to chug water so far. Really enjoying it!

cd.jpg
    That looks good, and is available at a shop near me for under $12. May grab a few!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I had a splendid american Syrah from 2011 yesterday with my wife
    https://www.jlohr.com/wines/2016-south-ridge-syrah

I like it a lot, but I should have inhaled it earlier.
    It still good, but looses some 'fatness' after a couple of years apparently, I still have 4 bottles from 2011, 1 2012 and 3 from 2014... better get cracking
    J. Lohr is a large producer and a lot of their wines are available in grocery stores in the US. My favorite of theirs is their Riesling, which is a bit drier and less sweet than many of the European Rieslings. I honestly haven't had one of their reds I've really enjoyed. They're not bad, but not particularly special, imo.

I have not tried their Syrah. I'm not generally a fan of Syrah by itself, I prefer it as a blend with Grenache as the dominant grape, with or without Mourvedre.

Bill

The summers here have to little sun, so the sugar containt gets too low, and its difficult to get over 11-12% alcohol.
    Just drink twice as much....problem solved!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Alcohol is a taste component!
    Nobody here drinks to get drunk. Nobody !!
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 04-25-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Tomorrow I will share a Tosalet (2014) with my wife, when she comes home from the hospital.

Here is a 2017 https://www.vivino.com/tosalet-vinye...7358?year=2017

Tomorrow I will share a Tosalet (2014) with my wife, when she comes home from the hospital.

Here is a 2017 https://www.vivino.com/tosalet-vinye...7358?year=2017
    That's from Priorat, a great Spanish wine region. We had one that was a Grenache/Mazuello/Syrah blend that was pretty good. The store that stocked it closed, sadly. Hope yours is good, and hope your wife is OK!

Bill

Tosalet is owned and run by a Danish guy (actually 2: David Tofterup & Nicholas Hammeken), and is regularily available in Denmark at a (still) very reasonable price (10 $) the grapes are 50% Garnacha / 35% Carignan / 15% Cabernet Sauvignon

http://hammekencellars.com/site/port...s-velles-2015/

Wife is not home yet, they have moved her to a different hospital (with more expertise), and the investigation of her has not been done yet. Lack of doctors. I don't expect it to bee very serious, but it's never fun to be hospitalized, and you never know what they will come up with. Crossing fingers.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 04-26-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Tosalet is owned and run by a Danish guy (actually 2: David Tofterup & Nicholas Hammeken), and is regularily available in Denmark at a (still) very reasonable price (10 $) the grapes are 50% Garnacha / 35% Carignan / 15% Cabernet Sauvignon

http://hammekencellars.com/site/port...s-velles-2015/
    That looks wonderful, right up my alley with the heavy grenache component! It's $30 over here, though, and it doesn't appear to be available locally for me.

Wife is not home yet, they have moved her to a different hospital (with more expertise), and the investigation of her has not been done yet. Lack of doctors. I don't expect it to bee very serious, but it's never fun to be hospitalized, and you never know what they will come up with. Crossing fingers.
    Indeed! Also hoping it gets resolved soon and is not serious. Best wishes to both of you!

Bill

Our bottle for tonight is an odd one, a German Pinot Noir. Believe me, I was skeptical too, but we tried a bottle and were knocked out, so we went back and got more. This one is quite fruit forward, grown with organic grapes, and if it is oaked, it is extremely mild. It has a big, luscious, fruity taste, but surprising body and complexity. We're having it with breaded seared pork chops with apple/parsnip mash and Swiss chard, and it's a good pairing with that dish.

20190426_173747.jpg

Bill

Not a wine dork by any stretch but been thinking of getting a bottle of good red wine to accompany steak grilling. What is generally recommended? What should I look for? Preferably something I can find at a mid to high end grocery store, or even a chain type wine and spirits store.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Not a wine dork by any stretch but been thinking of getting a bottle of good red wine to accompany steak grilling. What is generally recommended? What should I look for? Preferably something I can find at a mid to high end grocery store, or even a chain type wine and spirits store.
    I like a spicy red Zinfandel with steak. A few consistently good producers are Cline ($15), Ridge ($30), or Ravenswood ($45), depending on how much you want to spend. These are widely available, so you should be able to find them at a good grocery store. If you go to the wine/spirits store, just ask them for recommendations in your price range. You can also have Cabernet Sauvignon to pair with steak. Columbia Crest is a consistent, widely-available producer at a good price. The list is endless, depending on what you consider to be a "good" wine, how much you want to spend, and how patient you are looking for it. I stressed "consistency" here so you don't have to worry about vintage -- their wines are good year after year.

Thanks. 15 to 35 dollars is not expensive. I know there are decent wines that are inexpensive. I just don't know much about wine other than red wine with red meat, white wine with seafood. I also like cooking with wine and spirits. Can I use those wines you recommend for cooking stir fry, or stews?

Thanks. 15 to 35 dollars is not expensive. I know there are decent wines that are inexpensive. I just don't know much about wine other than red wine with red meat, white wine with seafood. I also like cooking with wine and spirits. Can I use those wines you recommend for cooking stir fry, or stews?
    You can basically use any wine for cooking IMO. We occasionally open another bottle the night before when we know it's probably too much, and sure enough the next morning there is still some there. Therefore I've used many different styles of red to cook with (rarely white, since that tends to get the cap/cork put back on and put back in the fridge - red is basically shot if you leave it opened overnight), and they've all added a nice little added zip to whatever I cooked (yes, stir frys are perfect). Toss some in with the veggies and let it reduce completely, you're left with a really nice, rich flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    I like a spicy red Zinfandel with steak. A few consistently good producers are Cline ($15), Ridge ($30), or Ravenswood ($45), depending on how much you want to spend.
    Absolutely love the Cline Zin. Ravenswood is okay, but I would never pay $45 for it.

I've used tequila as a marinade on chicken for stir frying.

Dumb question: What is the general rule on this. If I buy a bottle of strong red wine, for drinking with red meat, do I refrigerate the bottle after it's open. I would anyway, I refrigerate just about everything, but what's the rule of thumb on that?

Dumb question: What is the general rule on this. If I buy a bottle of strong red wine, for drinking with red meat, do I refrigerate the bottle after it's open. I would anyway, I refrigerate just about everything, but what's the rule of thumb on that?
    If you are not going to drink the whole bottle, you can re-cork it and put it in the fridge to help keep it fresh for a few days. It won't keep forever though, the oxidation has already begun. And make sure you pull it from the fridge in plenty of time to have it at or near room temperature when it comes time to drink it again. Some serious wine drinkers out there think red wine should have a very slight chill - full-on room temperature is too warm. I'm not one of those people, but opinions vary of course.

BTW speaking of California Zin, tonight I am opening a bottle of Lake Sonoma 2016 from the Dry Creek valley. Never tried it before, looking forward to it after all the strong reviews!

If you are not going to drink the whole bottle, you can re-cork it
    Now that you mention it, I'm not sure I have a corkscrew......

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure I have a corkscrew......
    Well then you're either buying one, or sticking with bottles with caps you unscrew.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    I like a spicy red Zinfandel with steak. A few consistently good producers are Cline ($15), Ridge ($30), or Ravenswood ($45), depending on how much you want to spend. These are widely available, so you should be able to find them at a good grocery store. If you go to the wine/spirits store, just ask them for recommendations in your price range. You can also have Cabernet Sauvignon to pair with steak. Columbia Crest is a consistent, widely-available producer at a good price. The list is endless, depending on what you consider to be a "good" wine, how much you want to spend, and how patient you are looking for it. I stressed "consistency" here so you don't have to worry about vintage -- their wines are good year after year.
    These are great suggestions. I think you're largely going to be fine with an American Zinfandel or Cabernet Sauvignon. I'd add Rodney Strong to those you could look at, but I think the Cline or Columbia Crest should be fine. I'd hesitate to go above $20 for a BBQ/grilling bottle, and I think you'll get good taste and value with any of these mentioned. You could also look at Australia/New Zealand Zins, or South American Malbecs.

Can I use those wines you recommend for cooking stir fry, or stews?
    As mentioned (and I agree), you can cook with any wine. But if you do that a lot, just buy a box of Cabernet which will suffice fine for cooking and will last a long time. Also nice to have around if you just want a glass.

I personally would not refrigerate a red wine. It's not going to last opened more than a day or so anyway, and I don't think red wine should be chilled as it kills off a lot of the flavor. So you'll have to let it warm up, which seems a useless waste of time.

What I would do is invest in some vacuum seal corks that will limit oxidation, then put the wine in a cool place, but not a refrigerator. Given the wines you are talking about buying, they will likely improve sitting at room temperature for up to a couple of days. The fridge won't allow much if any improvement, and I don't think the wine will taste as good unless you return it to room temperature before drinking. Way too much trouble, imo.

Alternatively, you could just kill off the bottle, which is what we do.

Cheers!

Bill