Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PE wine dork thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Nice. That is from the Tuscan coast, in a particularly hot region and is 70% Sangiovese, 20% Montepulciano, and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon. I'd definitely recommend drinking this with hearty and somewhat oilier food (pizza or lasagna would be a good bet, or lamb if you want meat), and open it about an hour before drinking - decant if possible.

If you like this, then now you know you like a heartier red and can look for the Sangiovese grape, or Tuscan wines like Chianti which is largely Sangiovese. None of these will taste exactly the same. Each region, and even each town within a wine producing region like Tuscany, will have their own expression of a grape (or grape combinations). But you will at least have a general sense, and it gives you a launching point for exploration. Wine shouldn't be scary, but I can understand why it might be. Try to identify what you like in a wine you like, and what you don't in those you don't, and if you can express that to someone knowledgeable then you can get some recommendations.

Hope the Montepeloso is good!

Bill
    Great info, thanks man!

I am mostly a beer guy, but do like wine on occasion. I live just to the east of Southwest Michigan wine country so there are around 20 wineries within an hour of my house. When I do drink wine I try to stay local and support the scene. I do think some of our local wines are quite good, but I am far from an expert.

It's always a fortunate thing to live close to wine country. For me it's the Niagara region, and I go a lot. There are so many beautiful wineries there, it's quite amazing. One of my favourites is Organized Crime Winery, particularly their blend called Pipe Down. You never know if their little shop will be open, it's a gamble - but if you get lucky, it's worth grabbing numerous bottles.
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

Great to see wine fans supporting the local scene.

There are a few wineries within a couple of hours of my humble abode in southwest Japan but the destructive trifecta of being in typhoon alley, unbelievably humid summers, and a monsoon-like rainy season limits growth severely. As a result, it's pretty tepid stuff.

There are actually winemakers in Denmark, and in good (warm) summers they produce good wine though in very small quantities (and thus too expensive).
    The summers here have to little sun, so the sugar containt gets too low, and its difficult to get over 11-12% alcohol.
    Redwine grapes commonly used: Rondo, Cabernet Cantor, Solaris, Cabernet Cortis, Lon Millot, Regent og Castel.
    Rondo is a cross between the grape varieties Vitis vinifera and Vitis amurensis.

Tonight's choice (I'm in my man cave while my wife watches Survivor in the other room) is a nice California Zin. Raspberry, cherry, vanilla are the dominant flavours to my taste buds. Not overly tannic, I haven't felt the need to chug water so far. Really enjoying it!

cd.jpg
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

I had a splendid american Syrah from 2011 yesterday with my wife
    https://www.jlohr.com/wines/2016-south-ridge-syrah

I like it a lot, but I should have inhaled it earlier.
    It still good, but looses some 'fatness' after a couple of years apparently, I still have 4 bottles from 2011, 1 2012 and 3 from 2014... better get cracking

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Tonight's choice (I'm in my man cave while my wife watches Survivor in the other room) is a nice California Zin. Raspberry, cherry, vanilla are the dominant flavours to my taste buds. Not overly tannic, I haven't felt the need to chug water so far. Really enjoying it!

cd.jpg
    That looks good, and is available at a shop near me for under $12. May grab a few!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I had a splendid american Syrah from 2011 yesterday with my wife
    https://www.jlohr.com/wines/2016-south-ridge-syrah

I like it a lot, but I should have inhaled it earlier.
    It still good, but looses some 'fatness' after a couple of years apparently, I still have 4 bottles from 2011, 1 2012 and 3 from 2014... better get cracking
    J. Lohr is a large producer and a lot of their wines are available in grocery stores in the US. My favorite of theirs is their Riesling, which is a bit drier and less sweet than many of the European Rieslings. I honestly haven't had one of their reds I've really enjoyed. They're not bad, but not particularly special, imo.

I have not tried their Syrah. I'm not generally a fan of Syrah by itself, I prefer it as a blend with Grenache as the dominant grape, with or without Mourvedre.

Bill

The summers here have to little sun, so the sugar containt gets too low, and its difficult to get over 11-12% alcohol.
    Just drink twice as much....problem solved!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Alcohol is a taste component!
    Nobody here drinks to get drunk. Nobody !!
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:49 PM.

Tomorrow I will share a Tosalet (2014) with my wife, when she comes home from the hospital.

Here is a 2017 https://www.vivino.com/tosalet-vinye...7358?year=2017

Tomorrow I will share a Tosalet (2014) with my wife, when she comes home from the hospital.

Here is a 2017 https://www.vivino.com/tosalet-vinye...7358?year=2017
    That's from Priorat, a great Spanish wine region. We had one that was a Grenache/Mazuello/Syrah blend that was pretty good. The store that stocked it closed, sadly. Hope yours is good, and hope your wife is OK!

Bill

Tosalet is owned and run by a Danish guy (actually 2: David Tofterup & Nicholas Hammeken), and is regularily available in Denmark at a (still) very reasonable price (10 $) the grapes are 50% Garnacha / 35% Carignan / 15% Cabernet Sauvignon

http://hammekencellars.com/site/port...s-velles-2015/

Wife is not home yet, they have moved her to a different hospital (with more expertise), and the investigation of her has not been done yet. Lack of doctors. I don't expect it to bee very serious, but it's never fun to be hospitalized, and you never know what they will come up with. Crossing fingers.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:44 AM.

Tosalet is owned and run by a Danish guy (actually 2: David Tofterup & Nicholas Hammeken), and is regularily available in Denmark at a (still) very reasonable price (10 $) the grapes are 50% Garnacha / 35% Carignan / 15% Cabernet Sauvignon

http://hammekencellars.com/site/port...s-velles-2015/
    That looks wonderful, right up my alley with the heavy grenache component! It's $30 over here, though, and it doesn't appear to be available locally for me.

Wife is not home yet, they have moved her to a different hospital (with more expertise), and the investigation of her has not been done yet. Lack of doctors. I don't expect it to bee very serious, but it's never fun to be hospitalized, and you never know what they will come up with. Crossing fingers.
    Indeed! Also hoping it gets resolved soon and is not serious. Best wishes to both of you!

Bill

Our bottle for tonight is an odd one, a German Pinot Noir. Believe me, I was skeptical too, but we tried a bottle and were knocked out, so we went back and got more. This one is quite fruit forward, grown with organic grapes, and if it is oaked, it is extremely mild. It has a big, luscious, fruity taste, but surprising body and complexity. We're having it with breaded seared pork chops with apple/parsnip mash and Swiss chard, and it's a good pairing with that dish.

20190426_173747.jpg

Bill