Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The EUFA Championsleague discussion

The EUFA Championsleague discussion

Semi finals are up.

Barcelona - Liverpool
    Ajax - Tottenham

Any thoughts and favorites?

My favorite is of course Ajax. First because I am Dutch and second it is refreshing and hopefull to see that a club from a small competition with a smaller budget can still compete with the big European teams. Its not just ALL about the money.

My favorite is Ajax but I do not think they will win. That will probably be Barcelona (again).

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I think Barca and Ajax based on who they are and who they've beaten respectively but its anyones game at this stage. If the English don't make it then I'll be rooting for Ajax, if both English make it I'll just enjoy the game.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

My dream result would be for Liverpool and Barcelona to be tied in aggregate in the second leg and then an own goal by Coutinho gets the Reds to the final.

But, seriously, Barca will be tough. I think it might come down to away goals.

I see Ajax beating Tottenham.

YNWA
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Ajax is the underdog here and I'm in! Love Messi and Co. but I want to see a new dawg in town tear the place up.

It would certainly be less 'samey' if Barca doesn't win.

They might be surprised to run the CL https://www.eufa.org/

Okay, I would really like Ajax to win the UEFA CL as they are an awesome Team. Of course they will loose half of
    their players to other teams next Season.

I would also love Frankfurt to win the UEFA EL, Go Underdogs!

Frankfurt are certainly the odd man out in that group.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ajax and Tottenham are teams with Danish players, so...one of them would do.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    They might be surprised to run the CL https://www.eufa.org/

Okay, I would really like Ajax to win the UEFA CL as they are an awesome Team. Of course they will loose half of
    their players to other teams next Season.

I would also love Frankfurt to win the UEFA EL, Go Underdogs!
    Bundesliga title match is on too! I like Dortmund (and Schalke) and want to see Bayern go down. Been watching a ton of German football this year.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Bundesliga title match is on too! I like Dortmund (and Schalke) and want to see Bayern go down. Been watching a ton of German football this year.
    Being a Bayern fan I would of course not like them to go down, on the other hand I would really like some competion for the title.
    It's going to be a little normal to win the title.

Of course you are about the only guy to like Dortmund and Schalke, 'cause there is real hatred between those teams fans.
    Schalke is lucky that there are some worse teams this year, otherwise they would go down to second league.

I actually had a several months ongoing Software Project with Schalke and spend a lot of time there.

Spurs are London rivals so I shouldn’t support them, but they were my Grandad’s team, so I will. I like Ajax too, it’s a shame they play each other, but at least a lesser known side (in the modern era) will grace the final.

Spurs also have been ploughing their Premier League cash into their new stadium, they haven’t bought a player in the last two summers, which says loads about the quality of their coach, he works miracles.

My $$$ will be on Barcelona.

I too have been watching Bundesliga a lot also. Great stuff. ( I don't know squat about rivalries, team histories, etc.) I just like watching it.
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    My $$$ will be on Barcelona.

I too have been watching Bundesliga a lot also. Great stuff. ( I don't know squat about rivalries, team histories, etc.) I just like watching it.
    Normally fans of closley located Teams don't like each other.

So Cologne, Düsseldorf , Mönchengladbach and Leverkusen don't like each other, same for Bremen and Hamburg

Schalke and Dortmund hate each other (really)

Nobody likes Bayern (simply 'cause they are succesfull for 50 years now on their own power)

Also nobody likes Hoffenheim and Leipzip 'cause they are playtoys of billionaires

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Normally fans of closley located Teams don't like each other.

So Cologne, Düsseldorf , Mönchengladbach and Leverkusen don't like each other, same for Bremen and Hamburg

Schalke and Dortmund hate each other (really)

Nobody likes Bayern (simply 'cause they are succesfull for 50 years now on their own power)

Also nobody likes Hoffenheim and Leipzip 'cause they are playtoys of billionaires
    This is interesting (and makes sense). RB Leipzig is really a good team to watch - I Know a guy here who likes them, so don't say nobody

With the exception of trying to see every Everton match (that's my NUMBER ONE forever) and some choice PL games, I definitely watched more Bundesliga this year, and I find it pretty much on the same level as the PL - fast paced, exciting, upsets galore, great rivalries, goals, quality, etc etc. I am really starting to know a bunch of players on the 18 teams too. I also really dig VAR now and sort of wish the PL embraced it.....it really made a huge difference on a bunch of close calls this year. Great stuff.

PS - I was going to buy a Dortmund Reus kit, but they were sold out on the home kit size I needed at the BVB site. I might check back again.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

In the bundesliga I will always have a soft spot for Schalke. The working clas club and the eternal underdogs who occasionally score a succes. Very much like my club Feyenoord in the Dutch league.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    In the bundesliga I will always have a soft spot for Schalke. The working clas club and the eternal underdogs who occasionally score a succes. Very much like my club Feyenoord in the Dutch league.
    Okay they are really a working class club but they are also one of the richer teams in the league, they just don't make
    anything out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    This is interesting (and makes sense). I also really dig VAR now and sort of wish the PL embraced it.....it really made a huge difference on a bunch of close calls this year.
    Well VAR is in for the Premier League next season, so you get your wish! I'm not 100% sure about it though. As a fan who spent years at the games, I can see it kills the moment when you score, as you cannot celebrate until the infernal VAR review which can the minutes, but as a fan who seldom goes to games now, I can see that it adds to the TV drama. My own team West Ham have picked up one point from the last two games, if VAR was operational it would have been 6, we had two on-side goals ruled off-side, and a very dubious penalty against us.

It's generally a good thing as it cleans up some horrible decisions but they need to sort out the handball on penalties thing as they are giving those post VAR review where they look nothing like handball at real speed rather than slow motion. If it cuts down all the grabbing in the box on corners it will be a major success.
    Ian

Schalke is spoiling Dortmund's party right now....tune in, this could hand Bayern the title. Boo.

Holy fuck....Reus AND Wolf red cards and Schalke up 3-1.....cant believe it!! Insanity. Derby from hell for Dortmund.

Schalke didn't play that good for the entire Season... that loss will cost Dortmund dearly

If Bayern beats Nürnberg (No. 17 of the league) they will be 4 Points in the lead with 9 Points to go…

But Bayern still has to face Leipzig (No. 3) and Frankfurt (No. 4), so nothing decided yet.

At least a Season where Bayern doesn't lead with 20 Points in front as the last years...

Puh.. Bayern seem to waist their Chance against Nürnberg...

Predictions?

Tottenham - Ajax 1-1
    I think this will mainly be a intense battle on midfield with very little space to attack. Could be anyones game. I hope for a draw and Ajax will finish it a week later in Amsterdam

Barcelona - Liverpool 3 -1 Barcelona will dominate the game and with the form Messi is in they will score a couple. Liverpool will score ass well though.

Ajax!!!

Ajax vs. Liverpool would be cool

Dissapointing game really. Ajax ruled the game for about 30 minutes in the first half and scored a good goal (should have been two). After that Tottenham started to play out their only advantage they have against Ajax; Physical strength. The rest of the game was boring where Tottenham tried to press Ajax back but created very little.