Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The EUFA Championsleague discussion

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Spurs really missed Kane and Son, only tactic was to knock it up to Llorente and hope it stuck, they looked pretty clueless.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

It is never going to stick with Llorente, he does not seem to be a natural goal scorer. Spurs get Son back for the second leg so will be more dangerous, but Ajax have to be huge favourites to progress to the final.

Good luck to Liverpool tonight
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Wow, Liverpool is showing no fear.

Looks like it is going to be a great match.

What a Mess.. CFB won much to high.. You need to use every Chance you have against those Spanish teams

Sad to see some of the antics and poor sportsmanship of the Barca players - especially Messi rolling around like Neymar after being breathed on. They didn't need to resort to that - the Pool had an off day and deserved to lose 3-0.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Sad to see some of the antics and poor sportsmanship of the Barca players - especially Messi rolling around like Neymar after being breathed on. They didn't need to resort to that - the Pool had an off day and deserved to lose 3-0.
    Agree that the Messi roll was very Neymar-like and unwarranted. LIV clearly were having an off-night. (EX: Salah had a wide-open goal from 8 feet out and struck the post...terrible luck)
    G.A.S -aholic

Tough road for LP next Tuesday.....but in football anything can happen.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Actually Liverpool did not play that bad. They just failed in front of the goal while Suarez and Messi were quite deadly.

Holy shite! Barca goes down! Never saw that coming. wow.

What a superb match! Hats off to Liverpool (and especially to Ex-Feyenoord player Wijnaldum of course)

Now hope Ajax beats Tottenham otherwise the Championsleague final is just another party of the richest league in the world.

Stunning result, what a choke job, knives will be out in Barcelona.
    Ian

No Mo, no Bobby, no problem.

Extraordinary effort by everyone on the pitch, Klopp and even the ballboy on the fourth goal. Alisson proved why his high price tag was worth every penny.

Maybe there will be another miracle on Sunday.

Hopefully, Salah, Firmino and Robertson will be healthy for the final.

YNWA
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Incredible game, I never thought they could turn that round, but Barca were quite hopeless. What a quick bit of thinking from that corner for the 4th, caught them napping.

I would quite like to see Spurs through as my steps-on is a supporter. That would mean we have a Liverpool v Spurs final and they could then be matched by an Arsenal v Chelsea in the Europa. I can't say that would just be because it is the richest league, Spurs have spent nothing for two years, Arsenal not much. Admittedly Liverpool and Chelsea have very deep pockets, but there have been failures from rich clubs throughout Europe, notably PSG, Real, Barca, Man City

Holy fuckin shit. The ending of Ajax Spurs was like nothing Ive ever seen!! I was rooting for Ajax but Spurs pulled it out of their asses in a huge way. Both games were mindblowing. Holy shit. Condolences to Ajax fans everywhere.

Gobsmacked for the second time in two nights, how did they turn that around? Some very happy scenes in this house tonight, and I’m no Spurs fan, but then my maternal Grandad was so I feel an affinity.

Ajax were eaten alive in the second half. The Dutch competition is just too weak. They are just not used to playing with this pace and intensity.

Bummer. The 400 Mln budget club wins again from the 90 mln budget losers. I just hoped it would be different for just once.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Ajax were eaten alive in the second half. The Dutch competition is just too weak. They are just not used to playing with this pace and intensity.

Bummer. The 400 Mln budget club wins again from the 90 mln budget losers. I just hoped it would be different for just once.
    I don't think this analysis stacks up. It doesn't tally with what Ajax achieved in the second legs of each of the previous rounds. Nor does it fit with the fact that they hit the post in the final few minutes - had that shot gone in, the tie was over.

I think that the real issue was that this young team didn't have the experience at this level of closing out a game - the game was just too open throughout the second half, & Ajax continually committed players to attacks & counter-attacks. Even in the very last minute, when they had control of the ball with the goal kick, the clearance was an aimless punt, when they had the chance to run down the clock simply by keeping possession.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I don't think this analysis stacks up. It doesn't tally with what Ajax achieved in the second legs of each of the previous rounds. Nor does it fit with the fact that they hit the post in the final few minutes - had that shot gone in, the tie was over.

I think that the real issue was that this young team didn't have the experience at this level of closing out a game - the game was just too open throughout the second half, & Ajax continually committed players to attacks & counter-attacks. Even in the very last minute, when they had control of the ball with the goal kick, the clearance was an aimless punt, when they had the chance to run down the clock simply by keeping possession.
    I dunno. Overall they were completely outrun and outmuscled in the second half. They played better against Juventus and Real but looking at it realistically both teams are over their top. Lots of older players at the end of their carreers. They never put as much pressure on Ajax midfield as Tottenham did.
    I bet you do not see much of the Dutch league. When you've seen some international football and then look at a game in the 'eredivisie' it is almost like looking at a game in slow motion. This weekend Ajax played the Dutch Cup final. Half pace they won easily with 4-0. The difference between the league and international football is just too big. It is a problem for all smaller competitions.
    Last edited by thedunno; 05-09-2019 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I agree. That first goal, the 2-1, was a good example: Ajax had a free-quick, but hesitated what to do. At the last moment they decided De Ligt should move forward, which was a big mistake at that point. Or remember that stupid way Tadic lost the ball near the corner-flag, where he wanted to keep the ball in the field to gain time. And you know, the 2-3 was scored in the 1 minute extra-extra time, made caused by useless time wasting by Onana.
    Tactically the second half just wasn't good enough and yes, of course they could have scored, but so did TH.

PS. I see a lot of Dutch league-football and remember PSV, Feyenoord and Heracles have beaten this season Ajax with the same power-football.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Tough road for LP next Tuesday.....but in football anything can happen.
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Yep!
    Yes that was epic

The ugly thing is that the loser of the final will remain empty-handed after a fantastic year. Unless the Spurs win it and Brighton pulls out a miracle on Sunday.

I cannot see Brighton doing anything to stop Man City taking the title now, they have been set up negatively all season, they are low on confidence and clack a cutting edge, I am sure City will score. After Kompany's rescue the other evening it really ought to be job done. Conversely I can see Wolves surprising Liverpool, especially after their heroics this week, they may come into that game physically tired and Wolves have been excellent all season.

I heard someone say "who would have thought Vincent Kompany's wonder goal would be beaten into third place in the list of footballing surprises this week".