Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
I dunno. Overall they were completely outrun and outmuscled in the second half. They played better against Juventus and Real but looking at it realistically both teams are over their top. Lots of older players at the end of their carreers. They never put as much pressure on Ajax midfield as Tottenham did.
I bet you do not see much of the Dutch league. When you've seen some international football and then look at a game in the 'eredivisie' it is almost like looking at a game in slow motion. This weekend Ajax played the Dutch Cup final. Half pace they won easily with 4-0. The difference between the league and international football is just too big. It is a problem for all smaller competitions.
I agree that the Eredivisie is week. I went to see Ajax playing Excelsior last season at the Amsterdam Arena, & to be honest, was pretty disappointed with the game - it was slow, lacked pace & intensity, & had little atmosphere (I watched Anderlecht a few days before, & by contrast, that game was like a Scottish Premiership game from a decade ago - fast, raw, ugly tackles flying in & a brilliant atmosphere).

My point wasn't to deny the poor standard of Dutch domestic football, more to argue that on the night, it was different factors that contributed to Ajax's loss.