Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The EUFA Championsleague discussion

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I dunno. Overall they were completely outrun and outmuscled in the second half. They played better against Juventus and Real but looking at it realistically both teams are over their top. Lots of older players at the end of their carreers. They never put as much pressure on Ajax midfield as Tottenham did.
    I bet you do not see much of the Dutch league. When you've seen some international football and then look at a game in the 'eredivisie' it is almost like looking at a game in slow motion. This weekend Ajax played the Dutch Cup final. Half pace they won easily with 4-0. The difference between the league and international football is just too big. It is a problem for all smaller competitions.
    I agree that the Eredivisie is week. I went to see Ajax playing Excelsior last season at the Amsterdam Arena, & to be honest, was pretty disappointed with the game - it was slow, lacked pace & intensity, & had little atmosphere (I watched Anderlecht a few days before, & by contrast, that game was like a Scottish Premiership game from a decade ago - fast, raw, ugly tackles flying in & a brilliant atmosphere).

My point wasn't to deny the poor standard of Dutch domestic football, more to argue that on the night, it was different factors that contributed to Ajax's loss.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post

My point wasn't to deny the poor standard of Dutch domestic football, more to argue that on the night, it was different factors that contributed to Ajax's loss.
    You said they lacked the experience to close out such games. My point is that you do not get that kind of experience in the Dutch league. You can get it by playing a lot of championsleague games or games for the Dutch national side. By the time they gained enough experience the best players are already playing for the likes of Tottenham and Liverpool. Tottenham had 4 ex Ajax players in their side.

Smaller leagues are doomed. They are just trainig institutes for the big leagues. Hell, my team Feyenoord has already lost a lot of talented youth players to English and German sides.

All our big talents leave at young age. It makes the league so much less attractive to sponsors which means even less money available. Its a downward spiral. Ajax just gave us a little hope this could be broken. They almost did but I fear it was an incident. 5 or 6 players of this side are expected to leave and they can start allover again.

Lets hope Liverpool win it now. At least they have a Feyenoord player in their side.
    Last edited by thedunno; 05-10-2019 at 02:03 AM.

Chelsea - Arsenal (Europe League-final) 4-1
    But the best player on the field was Iwobi, who only played about 22, but everything he did was right. Should have played the whole game. This is his wonderful goal:

Of course Hassard was the man of the match