Thread: Jesus Christ Superstar circa 1970 (Orig UK version)

Jesus Christ Superstar circa 1970 (Orig UK version)

In the spirit of the season..holds up rather well and I'd say perhaps Ian Gillans finest vocal performance....listened to it lately?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOjyGy1NR4Y

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    My gateway to prog album.

Quote Originally Posted by bfd View Post
    In the spirit of the season..holds up rather well and I'd say perhaps Ian Gillans finest vocal performance....listened to it lately?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOjyGy1NR4Y
    "Gesthemane," in particular, is Ian's finest vocal performance ever.

There are a few parts that don't hold up as well as others ("What's the Buzz?"), but I love every bit of it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The eons are closing
    The only version of JCS i listen to.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The only JCS!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

My parents had this album but it was me who played it to death. By far the best thing Andrew Lloyd Webber has ever written. imho of course.

ISTR Tim Rice saying that it was hearing an advance copy of In Rock with 'Child In Time' which led them to consider Gillan for the lead role. Of course the two hit singles ('Superstar' and 'I Don't Know How To Love Him') don't feature him at all!

Various other 'prog' alumni among the musicians.

I remember one of our teachers playing it in the class.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The only version of JCS i listen to.
    Me too (since about 1973). When I heard the film-version I thought the instruments were too low in the mix; it was all about the lyrics and singers. Never listened to that score again.
    Last edited by interbellum; 04-24-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Also Ted Neeley is way too wimpy and breathy. Once you've had Gillan, no one else compares.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Here's a whole thread on this GREAT album!

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...Original-Album

Still have my original vinyl from back then....played the grooves out of that...and yes, Ian's best vocals ever.
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Also Ted Neeley is way too wimpy and breathy. Once you've had Gillan, no one else compares.
    I guess this is the film soundtrack? In the UK there was another cast recording with Paul Nicholas in the lead role. Maybe best known on here for 'Cousin Kevin' in the film version of Tommy? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ISTR Tim Rice saying that it was hearing an advance copy of In Rock with 'Child In Time' which led them to consider Gillan for the lead role. Of course the two hit singles ('Superstar' and 'I Don't Know How To Love Him') don't feature him at all!

Various other 'prog' alumni among the musicians.
    I skimmed ALW's autobio where he said he attended Deep Purple's Concerto for Group and Orchestra concert and didn't like the piece, but kept Gillan in mind.

Yes, I didn't know it when I first heard the album way back, but the musicians included guys from Quartermass, Nucleus (later Soft Machine) and such.

Those jazz-rock guys were first-rate players, probably amongst the best in the UK. Lloyd Webber continued to use musicians from that genre; members of Colosseum II worked on many of his later projects including his solo instrumental work Variations. (He did pay tribute to Jon Hiseman upon the latter's recent death.)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Those jazz-rock guys were first-rate players, probably amongst the best in the UK. Lloyd Webber continued to use musicians from that genre; members of Colosseum II worked on many of his later projects including his solo instrumental work Variations. (He did pay tribute to Jon Hiseman upon the latter's recent death.)
    On Variations he used Coloseum II with his brother Julian, Rod Argent and Barbara Thompson added.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Me too (since about 1973). When I heard the film-version I thought the instruments were too much in low in the mix; it was all about the lyrics and singers. Never listened to that score again.
    yah it was a poorly arranged las-vegas style horn sound if I recall; very disappointing. The original album with a rock band and an orchestra was incredibly well realized.

I only knew the songs from the soundtrack of the movie and was not overly impressed with them at the time. Because of this thread I have gone back to listen to the original studio cast and it has been a revelation. As has been said, Ian Gillan is amazing. But even more so, to my mind, is Yvonne Elliman (who is also on the movie soundtrack) who has the most beautiful voice. Now I can’t get the song Everything’s Alright out of my head. I wake up singing it; but, all in all, that’s not a bad way to start the day IMO!

I recently bought mint condition copies on vinyl of JC Superstar and Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds...so happy to have these in my collection and they sound wonderful.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457