Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: CTTE 2020

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    . Listen to the scientists and medical experts, because their only agenda is to truthfully inform us and keep us safe.

^^ Which demonstrates how difficult it will be to break habits. We're all human.

I'll assume that's your point and not to dismiss scientists.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    So....this is starting to get a bit real. The company I work for came out with a memo today saying that any employee returning from a cruise may be required to work from home for 14 days afterward. I have no clue how serious they are about this as it just came out this afternoon, but I just sent my boss an e-mail letting him know that I am going on CTTE at the end of the month. I am a production supervisor, so not sure how I would do my job from home or how this would all work. The other thing is that the 3rd shift Supervisor in my unit is going on a cruise the week after mine. I have never seen anything like this in my 33 years working for the company.

Also, it was announced a few days ago that a big music festival in Miami was being cancelled and South By Southwest music festival in Austin Texas just cancelled today which is a pretty big deal

I guess I will see how this plays out..........
    We have a guy in our office returning from a cruise on Tuesday. And others returning from spring break.
    I hope management does the right thing and keeps them out for a while. Until they can be cleared , one way or another.
    They have been doing contingency planning for mandatory telework in the case of in office infection.
    We deal with the public, with no real option to do otherwise.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    We have a guy in our office returning from a cruise on Tuesday. And others returning from spring break.
    I hope management does the right thing and keeps them out for a while. Until they can be cleared , one way or another.
    They have been doing contingency planning for mandatory telework in the case of in office infection.
    We deal with the public, with no real option to do otherwise.
    I think that is going a bit too far myself. I have one of my employees returning from a cruise on Monday. I am not overly concerned. The memo that I quoted earlier just came out Friday afternoon. I reported to my manager that this colleague was coming home from a cruise, but have not heard anything additional, so she will be reporting as usual at this point. Although I am in management, those decisions are made at a level higher than me.

I ran into my dentist today in town, He reached out to shake my hand and I changed it to a fist bump because I'm on a Zpak still. He said "yeah, probably a good idea... I just got back from a trip to China as well...

So some people are pretty nonchalant, He thought the whole thing was ridiculous...while others are so sure the end is near. my guess is the truth lies in between there somewhere. I'm just giving it all a wide berth. I'm pretty sure that I am not going to die because of it, but if I do, hey I had a decent run of things... not perfect, but if you're gonna go, you're gonna go. My understanding of things as I see them right now, tells me its pretty much already written ("persistent Illusion"). Its a ride. We can take it or leave it... if you wanna call that a choice. Anyway, if I do punch out. There will be a cosmic debate at the Zoomby-Zomby club and it will be me vs whoever shows up. Subject... freewill... - At least as we currently understand it. ("currently" is a wierd word too...). It'll be fun.

If it isnt, then it wont be....

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    He thought the whole thing was ridiculous...while others are so sure the end is near.
    Scary, huh?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I already had the flu this year and am still recovering.
    I don't need another one to kick my ass harder.
    Wash your hands bro!
    For the sake of everyone around you.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

HA HA HA HA HA
    Paranoia is the real threat!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Today I heard someone on NPR talking about the best ways to avoid catching the virus, and he said something like “By all means don’t get on a cruise ship!” or something like that. I know the chances of anything happening are very low, but if those folks on FB heard that...

One woman was suggesting today that they postpone the cruise. Someone pointed out that that’s virtually impossible with all the bands and logistics.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My friend Sue posted this on the main CTTE FB group. She’s my hero!

Can I make a suggestion. While we still can, could we all make a decision about our own health and if we feel we shouldn't travel, then don't. In the meantime, perhaps we can keep all our worries and fears away from this group, so that the vast majority can continue to enjoy the excitement of the run up to the cruise. Oh and incidentally, in case you feel I'm being dismissive of people with genuine fears, I'm not. I have some immunity issues myself. I'm just saying make your own decision, take the action required and then shut up about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    HA HA HA HA HA
    Actually, ignorance is. Paranoia will make people over-cautious. Ignorance is reckless and will do the opposite.

I also think the advice of telling people to shut up about is pretty foolish. That's how people will learn about it. Granted, there's a lot of misinformation, but the best way to mitigate that is with truth.

Actually, ignorance is. Paranoia will make people over-cautious. Ignorance is reckless and will do the opposite.
    Best comment regarding this I've read!!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Anyone think it would be best to cancel the cruise?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Anyone think it would be best to cancel the cruise?
    I do, even if I'm not going. I suspect a lot of events will get cancelled. Although coordinating new dates would be a nightmare and not happen until we see how this thing goes.

Some might even suggest postponing the upcoming elections.

I am doubting the cruise will be canceled unless big name bands bow out. I am not following closely, but has that happened yet?

It's also important to understand what Norwegian is doing in terms of cancellation policy. Royal Caribbean put out a statement saying that cruise passengers can cancel up to 48 hours before their departure date. (However, that's a cancellation for credit to re-book a cruise in 2020 or 2021, not a refund).
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I am doubting the cruise will be canceled unless big name bands bow out. I am not following closely, but has that happened yet?

It's also important to understand what Norwegian is doing in terms of cancellation policy. Royal Caribbean put out a statement saying that cruise passengers can cancel up to 48 hours before their departure date. (However, that's a cancellation for credit to re-book a cruise in 2020 or 2021, not a refund).
    It's my understanding, here in Florida, Florida has issued a State of Emergency because of the Corona virus. The cruise departs from Miami, so that may be a factor in considering whether it's a go or not.

I personally don't watch or listen to the news anymore because they tend to overblow their reporting and go out of their way to report anything remotely associated with the virus or in other cases of a hot news topic. Very unreliable, and if you throw in 24hr cable news, these stories are like a circus.

It's good to be aware, and best to get information from the CDC or reliable medical information outlets.
    Avoid the media, local, national and world, the more they hype up a story the more revenue they make.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I thought it was a cruise to the edge, but apparently it's possible to actually go over:

https://www.ktvu.com/news/passenger-...rincess-cruise
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    It's my understanding, here in Florida, Florida has issued a State of Emergency because of the Corona virus. The cruise departs from Miami, so that may be a factor in considering whether it's a go or not.
    True, however, there are cruises departing daily from various ports in Florida that visit other countries, and nothing has been done about those yet. But things could indeed change with time.

Avoid the media, local, national and world, the more they hype up a story the more revenue they make.
    For me, the trick is to develop filters when taking in coverage of everything, and separate fact and useful information from opinion, fiction, and outright lies and conspiracy theories.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    True, however, there are cruises departing daily from various ports in Florida that visit other countries, and nothing has been done about those yet. But things could indeed change with time.

For me, the trick is to develop filters when taking in coverage of everything, and separate fact and useful information from opinion, fiction, and outright lies and conspiracy theories.
    Tourism and cruises are the honey pot for the State of Florida, so I think any cancellation would have to be based on imminent threat to the health of passengers, and that looks unlikely to be the case at this time.
    Florida Health Dept also issued this statement, "Despite the two cases in Florida, the state maintains that the overall threat to public health "remains low."

Regarding filters, that's a great idea, and in general I think most people will use a method that works for them. The important thing is to take into consideration and be aware much of the reporting will be dramatized because the news media, especially television is fighting for viewership between internet and cable news, so they are driven to report in a way to draw viewers to their station.
    Whatever works, the important thing(in my opinion) is not to get swept up in their reporting and try to get the facts from somewhere other than the media.

CDC website is a good place to start. But I search vigorously to get an understanding of the duration of illness and found nothing on the CDC site. I eventually learned that those who have mild cases should only be affected for a few days up to possibly a couple fo weeks. Of course, those most adversely affected could be sick for months. I visited about ten sites until I found that info.

I get all of my information on COVID-19 from Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    HA HA HA HA HA

can you tell me the intention of your post above??

I think your musical posts and opinions suck but want to know of this carries through to real life as well

thanks man
    2trevorsforlife

John Hopkins University has a site you can track the virus at-

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    John Hopkins University has a site you can track the virus at-

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
    Movin' to Montana soon...

Movin' to Montana soon...
    Too late. You should have gone in the '60s.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease