Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: CTTE 2020

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    I just read where Pearl Jam has cancelled their US tour.
    That’s because they’re in the demographic that’s in danger!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I hear that ship that just arrived after being quarantined for weeks had people fighting over rotten food.

Nice to hear some things about a cruise never change!
    Now that just makes this sound more awesome! “Sorry, Alan White, but I need that pork chop!”

As busy as I have been at work ( I work from home) - I'm a little envious of people who are forced to sit in Quarantine for 16 days... Not that I'd want to get sick, but sitting and not doing calls and work for 16 days sounds really nice. Of course, my company would find me - virtually, and I'd still have to work. I need to retire, but that's out of the question for at least 10 years unless something life altering occurs. It's really pathetic that I even consider the people forced into this as having a better life than I am having, but it's actually something I have to explain to myself that I'd probably hate it if actually happened to me.

7 day's + 16 not doing what I have to do every day... Yep, I'm arguing with myself.

The Virus probably isn't going to be around in another month or two, I think CTTE is safe. I heard that tropical climates are terrible for virus'. They just dont spread well in that warm climate. Its the people who drag in on to the ships from the Northern locations that spread it. Not exclusively, but pretty much practically.

Ember
    "The Virus probably isn't going to be around in another month or two"

This is a fantasy that ignores science. Nearly every known virus still exists. All we can do is immunize ourselves, and for Covid-19 that's at least a year away, likely more. This virus, which is very easy to transmit and to contract, is only at the very beginning of its spread. Slowing that spread is the best -- and at the moment, the only -- means we have of preventing it from overwhelming our ability to treat the number of patients there are likely to be. If people don't start believing and complying with the guidance of our health care authorities, the number of at-risk people who will become seriously ill will exceed the system's capacity, and some of of them will die as a result. Concentrating at-risk people in crowds is a recipe for disaster. "Social distancing" and "cruise ship" are incompatible concepts.

US State Department says "“U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.”

CDC says "Older adults... should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease... especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships."

One other point: More than a third of the people on cruise ships are crew, not passengers, and they come from all over the world. And everything on the ship will have been handled by cruise terminal workers. With the ease and rapidity that C19 spreads, there is no chance that it will not be live on that ship. It takes several days to become symptomatic, but you can still transmit the virus without feeling sick. You are getting on a ship with a thousand crewmembers from all sorts of places, few if any of whom have actually been tested.

As someone earlier said, you may feel that you're healthy enough to contract the virus and emerge with nothing worse than a few days of mild sickness, maybe a little respiratory distress, some coughing, whatever. But you can still transmit it (and probably will), and among those who catch it from you will likely be someone who will suffer far worse.

Please read what the health authorities say about the current outbreak. Try https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/ to start. Every authority agrees that slowing the spread -- in order to help prevent a spike in the number of cases that could overwhelm the healthcare infrastructure -- is the one measure we can all contribute to. So please consider avoiding the situations where the virus most easily spreads.

Finally, while some strains of coronavirus become less transmissible in warm weather, that doesn't mean the organism dies out. Summer won't "kill" a coronavirus. And whether C19 is climate-sensitive is pure speculation.

^^ + 1,000,000

ignorance and a self sense of invincibility are the biggest risks to everyone.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

We've signed up for both the CTTE and the following OTB cruise and are obviously concerned about the potential for Covid-19 to wreck these events.
    However we will not pull out unless travelling advice/restrictions prevent us from getting to Miami or if CTTE is cancelled.
    We will abide by Government advice and dismiss inappropriate scaremongering. Only time will tell what happens....

It's a little sad that CTTE threads often attract non-participants who wish to give the cruise ship music festivals a bad press - particularly regards health and safety.
    Do these people think H&S is better addressed at other outdoor events? There's no mud or portaloo's on the ships!

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    It's a little sad that CTTE threads often attract non-participants who wish to give the cruise ship music festivals a bad press - particularly regards health and safety.
    Do these people think H&S is better addressed at other outdoor events? There's no mud or portaloo's on the ships!
    I do feel for you, a holiday that you have planned and looked forward to for months and then this happens. Whilst I’m not booked on CTTE I have taken plenty of cruise holidays, and there’s no way I would be confining myself on board in the present circumstances. I’ve also been to many “mud and portaloo” festivals, and I would sooner take my chances in the open air, but I’m in no rush to get with the crowd there until this position improves. July is a few months away but I can’t see that Glastonbury will happen, unless drastic changes are made.

As for the virus dying out in the heat of the summer, well that isn’t the case on the other side of the globe where it has surfaced e.g. Singapore and Australasia, so that might be wishful and indeed dangerous thinking.

We will abide by Government advice and dismiss inappropriate scaremongering. Only time will tell what happens....
    They're not advising that you avoid cruises?

The head of the CDC is?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yes just canceled their cruise appearance. Probably realizing most of them (the band and the audience) are in that older age bracket where death is more certain to occur.

https://mailchi.mp/cruisetotheedge/p...RVyuGfWW7epX8w

The rest of the cruise should do the same.

Steve Howe:

“Although YES performs with the spirit that 'the show must go on,’ we’ve reached the point where various factors require us to postpone our forthcoming U.S. dates and cancel our appearances on the 7th ‘Cruise To The Edge.’ We are full of regret, as we’ve been preparing for these shows with maximum excitement. Running a relatively large show aided by our 12-piece crew and full production requires insurance coverage, which is currently unavailable to us for a variety of reasons beyond our control. Mostly, we always hope to deliver a great show, creating a good experience for music fans and bringing joy to all. It’s become impossible to predict what will happen in the near future, but we look forward to seeing you all very soon.”

Alan White:

“Much to our disappointment but with an abundance of consideration and caution, YES has postponed its performances in the Southeast this spring and withdrawn from the shows on ‘Cruise to the Edge’ for reasons beyond our control. We will genuinely miss our fans/friends who have accompanied us for years on these fun excursions. Gigi [Alan’s wife] and I have very close personal friends and family members who booked to join us for this trip so we are all extremely disappointed. It is unfortunate timing for everyone. We sincerely hope that all involved will realize the last thing the band ever wants to do is to let down their audiences. We believe it is a prudent decision based on many variables and external factors.”
    Last edited by Sean; 03-11-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Steve, I forgot you were going. I hope you’re able to go. The only good thing about Yes cancelling is it might make it easier for some passengers to cancel if they need to.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Steve, I forgot you were going. I hope you’re able to go. The only good thing about Yes cancelling is it might make it easier for some passengers to cancel if they need to.
    As someone booked for the OTB Cruise I think the cruise line would be insane not to cancel both, and I also think musicians showing up are just as nutty. No cruise is worth a life and death struggle, they should offer a refund or a future credit if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    As someone booked for the OTB Cruise I think the cruise line would be insane not to cancel both, and I also think musicians showing up are just as nutty. No cruise is worth a life and death struggle, they should offer a refund or a future credit if you'd like.
    One would like to think the promoters and cruise lines have some kind of insurance to protect themselves from such losses. But, yes, it's time to get realistic.

Maybe having these people locked on a festering Prog ship for two weeks of self-isolation is a good way to help flatten the curve?

They might as well have a station at the buffet labeled “CORONAVIRUS.”

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Maybe having these people locked on a festering Prog ship for two weeks of self-isolation is a good way to help flatten the curve?

They might as well have a station at the buffet labeled “CORONAVIRUS.”
    You’re trying too hard.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

But it seems the Cruise itself has still not been cancelled..

The US flight ban from Europe must have a massive impact on artists and attendees? The Italian and Swedish acts on the lineup may struggle to get there. The UK ones are in theory ok to travel, but the insurance aspect that underpins the Yes announcement must have wider implications.

There's no mud or portaloo's on the ships!
    A cruise ship "is" a portaloo on a massive scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    But it seems the Cruise itself has still not been cancelled..
    Unless the major cruise lines suspend cruising and/or are forced to by state/federal govts. (and that *could* happen any day now), the ships will likely continue to leave port and dock. It would be up to the program organizers to cancel the event (and that could happen any day now as well).
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

if the hosting band pulls out of the cruise, that's not a good sign.

I see that Princess Cruise Lines have suspended ALL cruises fro 60 days...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Going going.....

TOAST! (for your own good)

Good Afternoon CTTE Cruisers,

We know that the past few days have been stressful for not only our guests, but for everyone in all countries around the world. We want to thank you for being patient with our team as we gathered all the facts from both government and cruise line sources.

Our team has been working diligently in handling this situation and we are pleased to announce that we have come to an unprecedented agreement with NCL to postpone Cruise to the Edge and move to another date, which will be determined in the weeks to come. This will give us the ability to preserve this wonderful cruise we have in store for you until the Coronavirus Pandemic has stabilized around the world. We want to thank our partner NCL for negotiating in good faith with us to make this the great event that we all look forward to each year.

As we have said from the beginning, the health and well being of our Guests, Artists and Crew are paramount, and with events on the ground changing by the hour around the world, we were left with no choice but to postpone. It is our hope that with the world working together to control the escalation of this virus, we will be able to reschedule for the Fall of 2020 or Spring of 2021, but nothing is etched in stone until we get a better read on the government’s efforts to control the virus.

Once the sailing date has been established, we will automatically transfer your reservation and funds to the rescheduled sailing (to the same or comparable cabin number and/or type). You will not pay any additional cruise fare and/or fees for the rescheduled cruise (including cruise fare, taxes, fees, and pre-paid basic gratuities only), as any and all budgetary escalations will be shared by Cruise to the Edge and NCL. In addition, we will waive any and all cabin transfer and name change fees until 30 days before we depart on the rescheduled sailing.

We are disappointed that this catastrophic world situation has impacted us and all of our Cruise to the Edge Family, but we are excited that we were able to creatively work with our Artists and NCL to provide you with what we believe is the best possible outcome. We truly appreciate all of your support throughout the years and we hope you and your family will be safe and healthy as we navigate through the weeks to come. In the meantime, we will continue to monitor the situation, keeping you informed as details materialize.

Again, thank you for your kindness, patience, and understanding.

Best,
    Your Cruise to the Edge Team

https://mailchi.mp/cruisetotheedge/p...vubVycviDqHBks

^^ P.S.: We don't do refunds.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ P.S.: We don't do refunds.
    Yeah, really. Given the circumstances it would seem like an outright cancellation would be the most sensible course of action. Pretty lame.

I'm not sure if their term and conditions allows them to reschedule. They may try to justify it under their "Right to change itinerary" clause and screw people out of their refunds.

They should cancel the cruise.

RIGHT TO CHANGE ITINERARY
    OTB and/or NCL reserve the right, at any time, to change the cruise itinerary, including ports of call, duration of stays at ports, departure times, arrival times, embarkation times, and/or disembarkation times, whenever advisable or necessary, within their sole discretion. In such cases, OTB and/or NCL will NOT be responsible to passengers for any loss or expenses caused by reason of such changes or abandonment. Refunds will NOT be made to passengers who elect not to complete the cruise for any reason or cause whatsoever.