Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yes Live at Wembley 1978 Broadcast

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Is there a version of this show with 'Future Times/Rejoice'? There is a version from one of the US shows on The Word Is Live but that's quite a 'dry' recording, so much so I thought it was the studio one for a bit! (I don't think it's a soundboard either, although I'm not 100%.)
    I was just checking the amazing Yes bootleg download site yessongs.nl and sure enough there is! I'm about to d/l the show...

Date 1978 - 10 - 28
    Title In the Round - Complete Evening Show (SB)
    City London - England, UK
    Venue Wembley Arena
    Disc time Disc 1 (1:11:06) - Disc 2 (1:00:38)
    Quality - soundboard recording
    Info Incl. the missing tracks 'Future Times - Rejoice' & 'Rick Wakeman Solo' (RWS is from the AUD)

Is there a version of this show with 'Future Times/Rejoice'? There is a version from one of the US shows on The Word Is Live but that's quite a 'dry' recording, so much so I thought it was the studio one for a bit! (I don't think it's a soundboard either, although I'm not 100%.)
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I was just checking the amazing Yes bootleg download site yessongs.nl and sure enough there is! I'm about to d/l the show...

Date 1978 - 10 - 28
    Title In the Round - Complete Evening Show (SB)
    City London - England, UK
    Venue Wembley Arena
    Disc time Disc 1 (1:11:06) - Disc 2 (1:00:38)
    Quality - soundboard recording
    Info Incl. the missing tracks 'Future Times - Rejoice' & 'Rick Wakeman Solo' (RWS is from the AUD)
    I have this boot in a FLAC file. The good news is, it is the complete show. The bad news is, the sound quality overall isn't that good, and Future Times/Rejoice is an audience recording slotted in, so it sounds even worse. The note above says the Wakeman solo is is audience as well, but it sounds far better than FT/R. Bad as it is, it's the best version of Silent Wings I have digitally, and it's the only time I've heard stuff like the medley and Awaken from this show as those were not on the old 2LP In the Round set.

Here's the back cover of the CD with the complete tracklist:

1978-10-28 - In the Round - Complete Evening Show (SB) - London - Back Cover.jpg

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    .I remember it because it was broadcast on my birthday and I had to hand my long-suffering mother a c120 cassette along with precise instructions on how to record the show and the importance of turning the tape over at 11pm - long after her normal bedtime - because I'd be out celebrating my 17th birthday until way after the show finished.
    Oh yes, I remember occasionally having to ask my mom to tape programs from the TV for me, for whichever reason. I remember one time, I asked her to tape an episode of Freaks And Geeks for me, because I was working (I don't remember why I didn't just set the VCR timer, but there must have been a reason). Anyway, she had everything ready to go, but NBC decided to preempt the show that night, in favor of an episode of Dateline.

She even flipped over to the guide channel to see what was listed. The guide channel had Freaks And Geeks listed, but as I said, NBC decided to show something else. No wonder the damn show got cancelled! Oy!
    If it was a C120 it was probably an early and sudden death!
    I don't know what they were like back in the 70's (I remember hearing you were only supposed to use C-60 tapes, because they were the only ones that were reliable), but by the 90's, I think they got that problem straightened out, because I used a C-120 to record our library's copy of Stockhausen's Kurzwellen (sides one and two on one side of the tape, sides three and four on the other, with a short orchestral piece on each side as filler) and that tape lasted me at least a decade. I haven't seen it lately, but last time I pulled it out, it sounded just fine.

There are many great Yes recordings from 1978-79. Cleveland 1978 is another great soundboard. The audience recordings from Boston '78 and '79 are excellent. In '78 you get Release, Release and Parallels. In 1979 you get Arriving UFO.

^^^ I just downloaded Buffalo '78, Wembley complete, and Boston '79. That should keep me busy for a while in terms of Yes listening. But you're right there appear to be several more great ones up on yessongs.nl in really good sound.

I don't know what the legal consequences might be but it would be cool if the band could take the best of these recordings and make an official '78-'79 box set out of it.

I've always wondered what they have left from the 1977 tour. There was nothing from that on The Word Is Live, alas. They were certainly touring a far better album in 1977, which they often played in full. (I've heard the 'best' audience recordings from this period- from LA and Boston- and they leave a lot to be desired, really. Very noisy crowds.)

^ Did the noisy crowds cheer at regular intervals, with no apparent connection to what is being played?

^^^

JJ, Of course I couldn't leave the yessongs.nl site alone though I have two big work projects due. But I checked out the Boston and LA 1977 shows. There are 5 versions of Boston up there that look like they come from two audience sources. There is one called "Going for the Best" which appears to be both recordings synched perfectly. I downloaded it and it is superb. Anyway, please give it a listen. Now I'm going back to work, for real!
    Last edited by arturs; 04-17-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Did the noisy crowds cheer at regular intervals, with no apparent connection to what is being played?
    Not applause, shouting (of the 'woooooooo!' variety!) is loud on the recordings. I seem to remember the LA one being particularly marred by that. The Boston one is a little murky generally. I usually prefer strong audience recordings to 'dead' soundboards but I have limits!

I don't know if there's a 'professional' recording of this tour around. There's that videotape of them in the Glasgow Apollo though...probably the best sound I've heard from this tour:

Last edited by JJ88; 04-18-2019 at 06:19 AM.

Just wanted to say thanks to arturs for posting the link to the tour audios FLAC site for those of us who were unaware. Bummed that they don't have the Richfield 1980 date though. I haven't looked for the more recent times I've seen them, but will before long.

Its true the LA show (9/23/77 that I was at!!! ) has alot of crowd noise.

The Long Beach show a few nights later is a good one to listen to as well. The band was really high energy at this point in their career...

Yeah, Long Beach 1977 is great. A couple others I like are Gothenburg, Sweden (Northern Flight, insane Yours Is No Disgrace) and Best of Wembley 1977.

The 50th anniversary releases which were rumoued didn't happen. There was talk of some sort of 'best of' but also further archive live releases, but nothing. So Yesshows and The Word Is Live remain the only time this mid-late 70s live period has seen any kind of release, and both are pretty piecemeal.

Just wanted to say thanks to arturs for posting the link to the tour audios FLAC site for those of us who were unaware. Bummed that they don't have the Richfield 1980 date though. I haven't looked for the more recent times I've seen them, but will before long.
    You're welcome. The yessongs.nl site is an amazing resource. I'm working my way backwards in time and checking out some Tales shows (Bristol) right now.

I haven't heard that many Yes live recordings. On the TFTO tour, the one titled Yessongs 2 from Madison Square Garden is the best of the two I heard in performance and quality. Wakeman has a big solo in 'The Remembering' which for me strengthens the piece considerably (the studio version is not a favourite of mine). He draws upon various themes heard in the track. A strong performance of the album all round.

I also heard a Boston show which was recommended but I found it fairly poor sounding...and Wakeman's solo is also not in the same league IMHO.

Some of the later shows on the tour actually ditched 'The Remembering' from the set altogether, so bear that in mind.

Someone may have already mentioned Quebec 1979.. I always thought the energy was particularly high that night..
    YES Quebec back.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Someone may have already mentioned Quebec 1979.. I always thought the energy was particularly high that night..
    YES Quebec back.jpg
    I'm grabbing that now. I'm like a kid in a candy store with that yessongs.nl site! I finally got a recording of Springfield, MA 6-18-79, which was the first time I saw Yes (I incorrectly said it was April '79 earlier in the thread). Not the best sound quality, but a kick-ass performance! Listen to the Wurm section of Starship Trooper here with the interplay between Howe and Wakeman! Awesome!

I think I may be able to solve my 10-28-78 Wembly problem on this site as well. I found a great version of Silent Wings, but it omitted Madrigal. So I'm trying some other sources. I think I can cobble together a great version from the CD I have plus some sources on this site. FWIW, I'd still buy a legit release of this, but if that never happens, I'll now die happy.

Bill

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottnow View Post
    Yeah, Long Beach 1977 is great. A couple others I like are Gothenburg, Sweden (Northern Flight, insane Yours Is No Disgrace) and Best of Wembley 1977.
    Re: Long Beach
    My fave live CTTE in my collection.

And Quebec '79 IMO is a good not great show highlighted with a really superb Awaken.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

They do have the Masterworks and OYE shows I attended, though. The latter uploaded by request of "Silver Shoes."

They do have the Masterworks and OYE shows I attended, though. The latter uploaded by request of "Silver Shoes."

Say what now?!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Say what now?!
    What it says in the text file.

What it says in the text file.
    Yeah, I saw that. Unless there's another "Silver Shoes" out there, I think someone must have copied that off Dimeadozen. I don't ever remember being on this Dutch site before, but I used Dimeadozen regularly for a few years. I might have requested the show there, and someone copied it lock stock and barrel, and shifted it over this Dutch site.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I think I may be able to solve my 10-28-78 Wembly problem on this site as well. I found a great version of Silent Wings, but it omitted Madrigal. So I'm trying some other sources. I think I can cobble together a great version from the CD I have plus some sources on this site. FWIW, I'd still buy a legit release of this, but if that never happens, I'll now die happy.
    The version I know is probably not the best sounding and seemed to be a patchwork. The few tracks not in the original broadcast like Wakeman's solo and 'Madrigal' seem more like soundboard quality to me than multi-track. I think there has been some speculation these may not even have been from the exact same Wembley show but I don't know.

If there was ever a multi-track that they should release, it's this Wembley show for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    And Quebec '79 IMO is a good not great show highlighted with a really superb Awaken.
    Yeah it's certainly nowhere near the Wembley show overall but last time I listened to it I did think that 'Awaken' was something special.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, I saw that. Unless there's another "Silver Shoes" out there, I think someone must have copied that off Dimeadozen. I don't ever remember being on this Dutch site before, but I used Dimeadozen regularly for a few years. I might have requested the show there, and someone copied it lock stock and barrel, and shifted it over this Dutch site.
    That's how I took it.

The version I know is probably not the best sounding and seemed to be a patchwork. The few tracks not in the original broadcast like Wakeman's solo and 'Madrigal' seem more like soundboard quality to me than multi-track. I think there has been some speculation these may not even have been from the exact same Wembley show but I don't know.
    Madrigal was apparently played twice during the 10-28-78 evening show. Once before The Clap and once as a segue into Silent Wings. The Clap pretty much stands alone, and that is what I think was actually broadcast. But Silent Wings doesn't sound as good without the full segue, which is what was broadcast and is what I'm used to hearing. I found a couple of good sources for the material I don't have on CD.

The "1978-10-28 - KBFH - The Great Wembley Forum - London (This And That)" show has Madrigal/Silent Wings and sounds amazing. This is exactly the track list of the old "In the Round" vinyl bootleg (which is also in the list), so it also has Circus of Heaven, DKtW and The Clap, which in addition to Madrigal/Silent Wings were omitted from my bootleg CD. I also downloaded but have not listened to "1978-10-28 - KBFH - The Great Wembley Forum - London (Source 2)." This has exactly the same set list, so I'll have to compare sound quality.

The other one I got was "1978-10-28 - Heavenly Lightning - London." This has the Big Medley and Awaken in better sound quality than I've had before. It does not have Wakeman's solo, Future Times/Rejoice, or the Madrigal before The Clap. For some odd reason it also omits Madrigal before Silent wings as well.

So between my CD, the This and That show (or Source 2, depending on which sounds better) and Heavenly Lightning, I'll everything but Wakeman's solo, Future Times/Rejoice, and the Madrigal before The Clap. Of these, the only ones I care about are Future Times/Rejoice, but I don't think that has a high quality recording for whatever reason. I'll continue to poke around for one, though. Wakeman's Solo is available as a separate download, which I guess I'll grab at some point and listen to the sound quality.

Interesting little ride. Man I was grooving to Silent Wings yesterday, so nice to hear that with great sound quality and not all warbly, like the best version I previously had was.

Bill