Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Bizarre World Of Frank Zappa" 2019 Tour Notes/Reviews

"The Bizarre World Of Frank Zappa" 2019 Tour Notes/Reviews

I see the tour starts Friday night, so how about a thread about the tour and the shows.

Anyone going to any of these shows?

4/19 Port Chester, NY Capitol Theater
    4/20 Rochester, NY Kodak Center Theater
    4/22 Red Bank, NJ Count Basie
    4/24 Long Island, NY Paramount Theatre
    4/26 Boston, MA Shubert
    4/28 Albany, NY The Palace Theatre
    5/01 Wilkes Barre, PA Kirby Center
    5/02 Collingswood, NJ Scottish Rite Auditorium
    5/03 Baltimore, MD The Modell Lyric

Reviews are welcome and encouraged. If you still wanna debate the whole hologram angle, that's cool too, though try to focus on actual reviews of the shows.

I think this lineup is just killer and Zappa music is always better when alumni have a hand in playing it. Next to the Grandmothers I can't think of another lineup with this many. The hologram really is just icing on the cake. It does not make it or break it for me. I'd want to see these particular people play this music live anyway, hologram or not. Dweezil played to FZ on a screen behind him and nobody batted an eye. This is just that again, in a 3D version.

I'm going. Me and my jaundiced eye.

[actually, I am looking forward to it]

I agree very much that I want to see these guys play this music. Going into this, the hologram is a distraction personally, but hopefully I will feel differently when I actually see the show. I know that at least some of the show does not have the hologram FZ playing.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, Steve.

Sean, is the tour coming near you? And if so, are you going?

It hasn't yet, but I am hoping the success of the first dates will inspire more.

Yeah, i'll certainly go if Mike and company come up Seattle way. It will surely kick all sorts of ass.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I think this lineup is just killer and Zappa music is always better when alumni have a hand in playing it.
    Have to disagree with the sentiment that Zappa music is always better with alumni. I've seen ZPZ a bunch of times and they are superb without having any alumni in the band. Not disagreeing with you that this lineup is killer and worth seeing. But I could definitely live without the gimmick of the hologram. Just let the alumni play the shows.

this.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Just let the alumni play the shows.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Have to disagree with the sentiment that Zappa music is always better with alumni. I've seen ZPZ a bunch of times and they are superb without having any alumni in the band. Not disagreeing with you that this lineup is killer and worth seeing. But I could definitely live without the gimmick of the hologram. Just let the alumni play the shows.
    Agree with all this. Also, Sean mentions the Zappa on the screen behind the band for the early ZPZ shows. That was only the first ZPZ tour, and it was only one tune. Not remotely the same or similar, IMO. To be honest, I didn't think much of that at the time either, but since it was the first tour and just one song, I figured it was just Dweeze paying a tribute to his dad.

Depending on reviews, I may still go see this, but I still find the hologram thing ridiculous, personally.

I'll be at the Red Bank show this coming Monday...

Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

I should also add, I have an extra ticket for the Red Bank show on Monday. If you're interested, DM me. Seat on balcony.

Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

I don't think people should be so down on the hologram until we hear whether he can play or not.

https://www.facebook.com/MakeWeirdMu...123673/?t=1159

New promo clip with detailed interviews with Mike K, Ahmet, Steve Vai and more...^^

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't think people should be so down on the hologram until we hear whether he can play or not.
    Winner!

Suspense is killing me.

I need to know details....someone must've been there last night!

My pal Sussman said it was amazing. He went backstage and saw Keneally, Ahmet, etc...I dont have any other details yet from him.

^what was he smoking. Don’t waste your money. While band was amazing and sound was excellent even Zappa. However, there was only four hologram songs plus a lot of cheesy animation and old concert footage . Some was even without Frank. Sorry wasn’t impressed. I’ve got some bad video on you tube.

Quote Originally Posted by hightea View Post
    ^what was he smoking. Don’t waste your money. While band was amazing and sound was excellent even Zappa. However, there was only four hologram songs plus a lot of cheesy animation and old concert footage . Some was even without Frank. Sorry wasn’t impressed. I’ve got some bad video on you tube.
    All I really care about is the live musicians. So, this is encouraging.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Live music was excellent and they piped in frank that sounded great.

Quote Originally Posted by hightea View Post
    Live music was excellent and they piped in frank that sounded great.
    Again, encouraging.

For *me*, I'm not going for the projections on the screen or however they do it. No matter what it is or looks like, it will make me think of this....

YMMV
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I'm with Steve on this. It's about seeing these alumni play Frank's music live, not the hologram. The amount of self righteous indignation some folks have voiced over it is.....amusing. As if they are somehow staying true to Frank by boycotting it. He even suggested the idea in his book. So...

Here's a clip with setlist I ran across on FB- https://www.facebook.com/john.oppel/...28815688/?t=60

From the clip it looks more like a projection on a screen than a hologram. My only question is, why is he so short? Is it just the angle this clip was taken from?
    Last edited by Sean; 04-20-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    From the clip it looks more like a projection on a screen than a hologram. My only question is, why is he so short? Is it just the angle this clip was taken from?
    It like in the movie, The Fly, except here, they mixed FZ up with Dio.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It like in the movie, The Fly, except here, they mixed FZ up with Dio.....
    BrundleZio
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

This looks super fun. Definite sensory overload.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx