This debut from Tipographica is now 25 years old. How does it stand up after all these years? Where would you rank it against all avant-prog from the 90s?

Artist review from Gnosis
Tipographica were a Japanese band that existed from 1986 until 1998 and who released four albums in the 90s. They play completely instrumental music, basically a rhythmically complex type of jazz-rock. Influences from RIO (Henry Cow, Picchio dal Pozzo), (free) jazz and instrumental/classical Zappa (Hot Rats, Waka Jawaka, The Grand Wazoo, Studio Tan, etc.) are obvious. Furthermore, influences from world music can be heard both in the choice of exotic instruments (djembe, sabar, etc.) and the complex and diverse rhythms. Some traces of 20th century composers (for example Edgar Varese and John Zorn) seem to be present as well.

The albums usually consist of longish tracks (generally in the 6-11 minute range). All tracks show tight and busy, at times slightly dissonant, interplay between the various instruments. The instrumental palette consists mostly of brass, electric guitar, synthesizers, bass, drums and lots of additional percussion. Several instruments get solo space, but even then the instrumental backing remains strong. There are some quieter passages as well, which sound like the best "classical" works of Zappa or a jazz-rocking version of Zorn/Varese. The quiet passages gradually build in intensity and slip effortlessly into the more hectic, percussive parts. There seems to be a continuous, ever-changing flow of musical ideas, while always worshipping "the God of the groove" (as Tipographica put it themselves). The hectic, ever-changing character makes Tipographica's music demanding, but interesting to listen to.

Although some of their musical influences show clearly on their albums (i.e. Zappa), I wouldn't call them clones. Their music is original and fresh enough in my opinion to stand as a individual musical statement . If you like melodic symphonic rock or neo-prog, you probably won't like their music. RIO freaks, jazz or jazz-rock lovers, and fans of Zappa or complex music in general definitely should try one of their albums. Any of their four albums is a good place to start. - Sjef Oellers