Thread: Ian Neal: Genesis "After the Ordeal" String Quartet Arrangement

Ian Neal: Genesis "After the Ordeal" String Quartet Arrangement

Having bought most of Ian's music on Bandcamp, I'm definitely a fan. He just sent an email today to his subscribers with links to this fine arrangement. Pretty nice work, I have to say.

https://ianneal.bandcamp.com/music

Actually, always found the original rather uninteresting (especially in comparison to the rest of SEbtP) ... this is one of the few times I like a "cover" better than the original.

I always thought the original was incredibly beautiful. The feeling is unique and fits perfectly where it does between the 2 longer tracks. I will check this out when I'm home from work.

This is beautiful. Not in the same way as the original, but quite beautiful.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Banned
    Very nice - reminds me of the wonderful melodic lines in that piece. Man, Genesis really were able to come up with some wonderful melodies.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    Actually, always found the original rather uninteresting (especially in comparison to the rest of SEbtP) ... this is one of the few times I like a "cover" better than the original.
    I concur, never been a favorite of mine.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    I concur, never been a favorite of mine.
    I mean it's perfectly pleasant and everything. I don't hate it, just find it unremarkable compared to the stuff surrounding it- a definite "B-side" for me.

I really like Ian Neal’s album Astro, which I got on Bandcamp several years ago. A nice melding of symphonic rock and electronics.

Thanks for sharing this.
    Last edited by aith01; 04-16-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Interesting that he chose to only arrange the first half of the composition. I wonder why? It's nice, I suppose, but the articulation of the strings makes it very different from the pastoral feel of the original. As far as the original goes, I've always loved it for itself, but also as a palate cleanser and the perfect bridge between Epping Forest and Cinema Show. Thanks for sharing, though.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

It's very nice. Quite different from the mood of the original. The original is pure magic, pretty untouchable I think.

I'll listen as it is one of my favorite Genesis instrumentals.

Last night The Musical Box performed it at their Tucson show. Genesis never performed it live nor has TMB until this tour. It was gorgeous.