Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick Beato... yeah or nay?

What a great upbeat and energetic interview with Gregg Bissonette!

I like Rick (we are from the same town and high school), but sometimes his Top 20 Drum songs or whatever can be full of total bullshit. He basically overlooks most of the stuff we talk about here - have you ever him mention Canterbury, Magma, Zappa, Cardiacs, Henery Cow, etc etc? He appeals to the masses but he doesn't really dig in deep enough for my taste. He has made some great videos on Genesis, so I'll give him that. Sean's interview show is infinitely more interesting for me personally. Imo.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I like Rick (we are from the same town and high school), but sometimes his Top 20 Drum songs or whatever can be full of total bullshit. He basically overlooks most of the stuff we talk about here - have you ever him mention Canterbury, Magma, Zappa, Cardiacs, Henery Cow, etc etc? He appeals to the masses but he doesn't really dig in deep enough for my taste. He has made some great videos on Genesis, so I'll give him that. Sean's interview show is infinitely more interesting for me personally. Imo.
    Sometimes his breakdowns are interesting to me even though I don't play anything. But Sometimes I get a "its so cool to be me" vibe from him.

I enjoy the interviews, songs analysis, gear talk with his buddies Rhett and Dave, and music education stuff. But as Frank mentioned, I have no interest in the top 20 "greatest" whatever. I skip those episodes along with the speculative drivel about "is rock dying?" "Why don't young people care about music?" And the like.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I enjoy the interviews, songs analysis, gear talk with his buddies Rhett and Dave, and music education stuff. But as Frank mentioned, I have no interest in the top 20 "greatest" whatever. I skip those episodes along with the speculative drivel about "is rock dying?" "Why don't young people care about music?" And the like.
    Yeah, his diatribes about why pop/dance music sucks... It's always sucked. Fabian anyone? The DiFranco Family? I can name one or two songs from the Osmonds that won't make me cringe? Tiffany? Debbie Gibson? '70s and '80s trucker anthems. Any techno/Euro dance stuff from the '90s. Catchphrase country... I've said it before, plenty of shitty pop music throughout the last 50 years. It ain't worse now, it's on par. Even Beato's big claim to fame hit pop single he produced and co-wrote is pure commercial pap.

I watched his recent "strangest guitar solos" vid. No Frith, no Fripp, no fun.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

You might recognize a few of the songs listed here. Having said that, I'm sure there's a few he left out as well.

Rick's odd metered video was demonetized by 16 labels. Here's his rant about it.

It would have been a nice point of interest for him to point out that, while they are hugely different grooves, the Tool song and "Whipping Post" use the same "version" of 11, subdivided 3+3+3+2.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

That odd sig video was interesting. I've never been interested in counting the meters, I just feel 'em. I understand counting the numbers on the top, but still don't completely get the number on the bottom. Great video.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    That odd sig video was interesting. I've never been interested in counting the meters, I just feel 'em. I understand counting the numbers on the top, but still don't completely get the number on the bottom. Great video.
    The bottom number is what type of note gets the beat in the measure (bar):

1 = whole note or 4 beats
    2 = half note or 2 beats
    4 = quarter note or 1 beat
    8 = eighth note or 1/2 beat
    16 = sixteenth note or 1/4 beat

So 7/4 = There are 7 quarter notes in each bar
    23/16 = There are 23 sixteenth notes in each bar
    3/2 = There are 3 half notes.....
    11/8 = There are 11 eighth notes.....

Make sense?

The bottom number is what type of note gets the beat in the measure (bar):

1 = whole note or 4 beats
    2 = half note or 2 beats
    4 = quarter note or 1 beat
    8 = eighth note or 1/2 beat
    16 = sixteenth note or 1/4 beat

So 7/4 = There are 7 quarter notes in each bar
    23/16 = There are 23 sixteenth notes in each bar
    3/2 = There are 3 half notes.....
    11/8 = There are 11 eighth notes.....

Make sense?
    How long is a bar? I used to read charts as a student in school, 50 years ago. Too many decades have passed to remember all that stuff. Your explanation makes sense but I'll forget it in a few minutes. Kinda like when betting on sports is explained. I get it but then forget it....lol

How long is a bar? I used to read charts as a student in school, 50 years ago. Too many decades have passed to remember all that stuff. Your explanation makes sense but I'll forget it in a few minutes. Kinda like when betting on sports is explained. I get it but then forget it....lol
    A bar/measure only contains the value in the time signature, which is what were talking about. So 7/8 is one bar/measure containing 7 eighth notes, then the next bar will contain the same, etc. The only time is changes is when the time signature changes..example:

7/8, 7/8, 7/8, 4/4....so its three bars of 7/8 (that's the time signature) and then one bar of 4/4. The more the time sigs change, the more we prog needs dig it

Sean who?

A bar/measure only contains the value in the time signature, which is what were talking about. So 7/8 is one bar/measure containing 7 eighth notes, then the next bar will contain the same, etc. The only time is changes is when the time signature changes..example:

7/8, 7/8, 7/8, 4/4....so its three bars of 7/8 (that's the time signature) and then one bar of 4/4. The more the time sigs change, the more we prog needs dig it
    Got it...

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    Sean who?
    Sean Tonar, one of the folks that started this site lol
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    Sean Tonar, one of the folks that started this site lol
    You know, this guy.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    You know, this guy.

Never heard of him....

Gonna play ....guess the time siggy.

Metal Church....Rest In Pieces
    https://youtu.be/4sKpOiKmZmI

Lots of different siggys on this track. I'm countin'12.

His recent Odd Time Signatures video leaned *heavily* on 90s grunge bands, with prog groups added almost as if he were throwing us a bone. But that 90s scene is where he came from, and is his claim to fame (such as it is), so I guess it's only natural. I guess if we went onto a bebop jazz forum and posted a list of great prog songs with odd time signatures they'd throw up all over it and try to replace everything with jazz tunes.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    His recent Odd Time Signatures video leaned *heavily* on 90s grunge bands, with prog groups added almost as if he were throwing us a bone. But that 90s scene is where he came from, and is his claim to fame (such as it is), so I guess it's only natural. I guess if we went onto a bebop jazz forum and posted a list of great prog songs with odd time signatures they'd throw up all over it and try to replace everything with jazz tunes.
    True

Gonna play ....guess the time siggy.

Metal Church....Rest In Pieces
    https://youtu.be/4sKpOiKmZmI

Lots of different siggys on this track. I'm countin'12.
    That's essentially a 4/4 tune from start to end where they throw in a truncated 7/8 bar each time at the end of the instrumental riff.
    τί ἐστιν ὃ μίαν ἔχον φωνὴν τετράπουν καὶ δίπουν καὶ τρίπουν γίνεται;

εἰσί κασίγνηται δισσαὶ, ὠν ἡ μία τίκτει
    τὴν ἑτέραν αὐτὴ δέ τεκοῦσ` ὑπό τὴσδη τεκνούται
    τίς δὲ κασίγνηται δύο;

Counting exercise:

Ah, Ozrics.
    Mostly in 7, I believe, with some 4 against it to confuse things.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Now do Metallica's Blackened. I lose track after a while because there are so many shifts, but I count the main riff as 7/4, the verse as 6/4, the chorus as 4/4, and then the middle section before the first solo as 13 (or 6s and 7s which is how I tend to do it). But there are so many quick changes and it's such a complex arrangement, it's easy for me to get lost. The little pre-chorus parts throw me off too. Anyone want to tackle it?

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***