Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick Beato... yeah or nay?

Don't Beato around the bush.

Beato Does Tormato

Film at 11

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    Watching this video made me feel superior to all the Beato viewers because I had not fallen into Beato's elitist trap.
    The top comment on that video cuts like a knife.

"Great video and a succinct takedown of YouTube's most algorithmically over-promoted charlatan.
    Beato doesn't know what he's talking about in most videos. He's not a music expert (he only knows hits), he doesn't have a musical ear (anyone can learn pitch; he doesn't because he's lazy), and he's a total nobody in the annals of '60s/'70s/'80s rock history, despite the claims of Beato bros that he's a "legend in the annals of classic rock" (his earliest credits on Discogs date to 1992). Pre-YT, he was nothing more than a low-rent, small-time grunge producer. There are far more knowledgeable musos and rock-library minds on YouTube than Beato.
    The Beato syndrome merely shows that YT over-promotion can turn the biggest philistines into "gods," especially when the audience is a bunch of ailing boomers who've been kicked in the head too many times."

OUCH!
    "Everyone is complacent. The only time they ever speak up is to shame you for not being as complacent as them." - Adam Robillard, YouTube

Are you trying to convince us of something?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Beato Does Tormato

Film at 11
    "What Makes This Album 'meh'"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I really enjoy Ricks videos and I do learn stuff from him.

Rick learns and plays insanely fast and difficult Holdsworth guitar line.

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Fabulous ear/theory capability!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Very nice indeed and ridiculously difficult lick by Allan. Kudos to Rick Beato for his praise on Allan Holdsworth and for the attempt to describe the work of a true genius.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post

Yeah !

Rick's interview with bass legend Ron Carter.

I love this one, about one of my fave songs ever:

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I like quite a few Beato videos, he has a good understanding of theory. And he is unapologetically passionate about the music he loves. I mean who else gets giddy about an AC/DC riff, and then gives an informative interview with Pat Metheny? Rick Beato that's who. He convinced me that kiss from a rose is a great song, even though I never cared much for it. But his insightful passion for music, all kinds of music is rare. Might be nice to see more of that around here.��

I enjoyed his recent breakdown of Chicago's "Make Me Smile". The guitarist from one of my high school Chicago bands emailed me after seeing it and said he didn't remember playing those intricate chords; the sheet music book we were working from back then probably dumbed everything down to majors, minors and sevenths.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

"Kiss from a Rose" is indeed a great...pop song. It has some surprising chord changes and beautiful harmonies. It has the misfortune to be associated with a truly awful movie.

As for "Make Me Smile", I wish he hadn't used the single version. The full version has one of Kath's best studio solos. But it's a good breakdown anyway.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

agree, his videos about music production, songwriting and composition are usually very good.

In his stream from last Saturday, called "What New Music Should I Listen To?", he gives some nice props to Steven Wilson while listening to parts of 'Drive Home' (it's at about 20'50"). And as I scrolled through the comments below, it wasn't too far down before someone recommended Cardiacs to him. Who knows, maybe down the road we'll hear a "What Makes This Song Great" episode about something of theirs...
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    In his stream from last Saturday, called "What New Music Should I Listen To?", he gives some nice props to Steven Wilson while listening to parts of 'Drive Home' (it's at about 20'50"). And as I scrolled through the comments below, it wasn't too far down before someone recommended Cardiacs to him. Who knows, maybe down the road we'll hear a "What Makes This Song Great" episode about something of theirs...
    I've recommended Cardiacs/Sea Nymphs for years to him.....cricket cricket.

I know some stuff about musical theory but not an enormous amount, and my ear is like 2.5/10, and he's quite good at talking to a level where I almost understand him but I also get that I have a lot to learn, which is inspirational. A lot of the other music explainers I see on YouTube are clearly just as knowledgeable or more so (I don't personally have the grounding to say) but I have to pause the video every 30 seconds to take notes. I think he's good at going slightly above the heads of dilettantes... I don't know if everyone here would call that a compliment but I like it.

His latest video. The tune is September 15th. BTW, there are a bunch of interesting podcasts discussing Metheny/Mays tunes at Pat's website. The one on the Wichita Falls title track is really interesting. https://patmetheny.com/podcasts/

Glad to see Beato fans here. Of the YTubers and Podcasters not specific to Prog or Metal he is my go-to music guilty pleasure. I found this episode fascinating and eye opening.

Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Rick took his show on the road! The show was a couple nights ago in NYC.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Rick knows his stuff. I was interested to learn recently that cello was his main instrument, where he was classical trained for the first several years of his musical life.

Great thread!