Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick Beato... yeah or nay?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Rick's a good conduit for younger aspiring musicians regarding classic rock but I always look askance at his "claims to fame" which to me sounds like run-of-the-mill pop pap. He may have an appreciation for odd time signatures and intricate musicianship but he's usually followed the money, professionally speaking. Obviously, he thinks he should have been Rick Rubin, taste maker extraordinaire.

Now do Metallica's Blackened. I lose track after a while because there are so many shifts, but I count the main riff as 7/4, the verse as 6/4, the chorus as 4/4, and then the middle section before the first solo as 13 (or 6s and 7s which is how I tend to do it). But there are so many quick changes and it's such a complex arrangement, it's easy for me to get lost. The little pre-chorus parts throw me off too. Anyone want to tackle it?
    https://musescore.com/brondrums_music_1/scores/3167461

As for Rick, I think he is, as so many producers, so enamored with the studio gear aspect (as one can see e.g. with his amplifier and guitar collection), that the focus on the actual quality or ambition of the music can get lost in the quest for ‚big league’ production values.
    τί ἐστιν ὃ μίαν ἔχον φωνὴν τετράπουν καὶ δίπουν καὶ τρίπουν γίνεται;

εἰσί κασίγνηται δισσαὶ, ὠν ἡ μία τίκτει
    τὴν ἑτέραν αὐτὴ δέ τεκοῦσ` ὑπό τὴσδη τεκνούται
    τίς δὲ κασίγνηται δύο;

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Rick's a good conduit for younger aspiring musicians regarding classic rock but I always look askance at his "claims to fame" which to me sounds like run-of-the-mill pop pap. He may have an appreciation for odd time signatures and intricate musicianship but he's usually followed the money, professionally speaking. Obviously, he thinks he should have been Rick Rubin, taste maker extraordinaire.
    I look at him more like someone like John Young or Nuno Bettancourt, who both play with mainstream artists to pay the bills but do more adventurous stuff on their own time.

People are allowed to do both.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I like Rick (we are from the same town and high school), but sometimes his Top 20 Drum songs or whatever can be full of total bullshit. He basically overlooks most of the stuff we talk about here - have you ever him mention Canterbury, Magma, Zappa, Cardiacs, Henery Cow, etc etc? He appeals to the masses but he doesn't really dig in deep enough for my taste. He has made some great videos on Genesis, so I'll give him that. Sean's interview show is infinitely more interesting for me personally. Imo.
    Here's a younger guy with a channel that features some Zappa pieces. This one is Drowning Witch. He's also featured The Black Page.

https://youtu.be/wtWUXJbjr4E

Bryan is a pretty good guy and he does detailed analyses of music- his tastes lie very much to harder metalcore and death metal, but he does include a variety of styles, and has included Magma, VDGG, KC and more. He also responds to queries and all.
    This is typical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G2DuMTmuNE
    Last edited by Dana5140; 06-28-2022 at 11:46 AM.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

More Greg B laying down some grooves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post

Came here to post this. Absolutely LOVE this video. Gregg is just amazing. Smart, cool, fun!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

FWIW I just upgraded my Beato Book to the new interactive online version and holy crap, it is dense! It has over 500 sections with some videos and audio clips to help learners--just look at the table of contents: https://beatobook.com/pages/table-of-contents There is literally enough information there to keep me busy the rest of my life, haha!!

I have watched him and he's good but sometimes I get bored after a while. That could apply to anyone though. He does have at least one video where he teaches music theory so it does seem like he encourages people to be musicians if they are so inclined. Also, he has a very instructional approach, in general, which I haven't really seen anywhere else. He also does a lot of top tens (and other lists and rankings) which can be fun.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I have watched him and he's good but sometimes I get bored after a while. That could apply to anyone though.
    I feel the same. It seems like he could be more effective, if his videos were about half as long. I do get the appeal of long interviews, and analysis of song structures though. Especially with the latter, for people who like detailed explanations of theory.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post

Killer grooves. One thing I don't get though is their 'observation' about drummers not playing the hihat with the foot as often anymore. I don't think that's true. You still hear this technique all the time across many different genres. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    Killer grooves. One thing I don't get though is their 'observation' about drummers not playing the hihat with the foot as often anymore. I don't think that's true. You still hear this technique all the time across many different genres. ;P
    Agreed. Good drummers seem to be on autopilot with their LF hi-hat. I see it all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    One thing I don't get though is their 'observation' about drummers not playing the hihat with the foot as often anymore.
    My take was that you don't hear it much in the realm of big selling pop/rock music, when there are even live drums to begin with.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I was gonna play some left foot hi-hat at a gig Thursday. Maybe I will leave it out because of what Rick Beato said.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I was gonna play some left foot hi-hat at a gig Thursday. Maybe I will leave it out because of what Rick Beato said.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I have watched him and he's good but sometimes I get bored after a while. That could apply to anyone though. He does have at least one video where he teaches music theory so it does seem like he encourages people to be musicians if they are so inclined. Also, he has a very instructional approach, in general, which I haven't really seen anywhere else. He also does a lot of top tens (and other lists and rankings) which can be fun.
    I just checked his YT page and he has over 150 videos listed in his Music Theory section. I believe getting his theory and ear training texts out to a wider audience was the main reason he started YouTubing in the first place.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

OK. I decided I am going to play left foot hi-hat at my fig tonight.

I've been wrestling with it all week.

OK. I decided I am going to play left foot hi-hat at my fig tonight.

I've been wrestling with it all week.
    Are you Rick Beato? Or are you a different Rick Beato?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Are you Rick Beato? Or are you a different Rick Beato?
    We are all Beato. Except those that are not.

Doin’ those Beato, Beato, flat on my seat-o, Hirohito blues.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

But some are more Beato than others.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

The first rule of Beato is...you talk about Beato, and often.

And at length.

Neil

Beato on the brat
    Beato on the brat
    Beato on the brat with a baseball bat
    Oh yeah, oh yeah uh oh.

I'm Beato, and so is my wife!
    One thing is for sure, the sheep is not a creature of the air.
    https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/