Thread: Umpfel's brand new album (killer prog-metal and much beyond)

Umpfel's brand new album (killer prog-metal and much beyond)

Greetings,

A friend recently turned me on to Umpfel, starting with the pre-release video of their first single from the new album, As the Waters Cover the Sea, that just came out today. I went back and bought their first album, as well as the EP of tracks that came out later, and really enjoyed them--but nothing really prepared me for how amazing the new album is, now that it just came out and we've just finished listening to the entire thing for the first time.

I'm really picky about my prog-metal and, while I suppose this album would fall closer to this category than any other sub-genre of prog, it really goes way beyond that scope. Here's the Bandcamp link for your reference:

http://umpfel.bandcamp.com/album/as-...-cover-the-sea

Also, for those who prefer a video introduction, here's the aforementioned single that was my initial exposure to the band a few weeks back:

I have no affiliation or direct connection with the band, but it's been a long time since a new album has moved me so immediately, so I thought I'd share the info. I'd have to guess that there are at least a few others here who will really dig the music as well.

Cheers,

Alan

Reminds me a bit of early Haken, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Alan is this a band? Seems like one guy and a lot of guest guitarists.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Alan is this a band? Seems like one guy and a lot of guest guitarists.
    Hey, Ken. I believe it's really a duo who added a new bassist. The main guitarist solos as well, but they do have a few others on board as guests, along with a violinist and cellist on several tracks too. Though a different bassist (who is one of the guest guitarists on the new album), this older video shows the basic core lineup formation:

Cheers,

Alan