Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marillion - Fugazi

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

Funny that this is the one album that Hogarth has never performed anything from live. Even when I saw them play Jigsaw at one of the Marillion weekends, they did it as an instrumental without him.
    I remember seeing an interview with Hogarth years ago where he talked about this. If I remember correctly he said something to the effect that the lyrics on this one were very difficult for him to pull off live.

I think I posted this some years ago too: My guess is that the album title "Lightbulb Sun", by Porcupine Tree (a band I've heard very little of), was inspired by the phrase "40Watt Sun" in Emerald Lies.

Re: Real To Reel, I agree it's absolutely excellent! I don't want to compare much the live and studio versions of those songs on it because I like all of those versions a lot – one thing I'd say for RtR is that for Emerald Lies I definitely prefer the studio version. Rhythmically and dynamically, some (I guess fairly minor) things were lost from that song in that live performance, such as during the transitions between parts of that song, such as drum transitions, and in the atmosphere and vocals of the song's quiet bits. Basically there were some things in the studio production and performance that worked well together and some of these got lost in the live delivery, to me. But it's still great, just not as great as the studio version, to me. I'm not surprised it wasn't on RtR's original/vinyl release, it's on the CD release.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I have to admit that at this point I seldom listen to the first two albums and find Misplaced Childhood a quantum leap in musicianship/songwriting etc. It deserved its success. Clutching At Straws is, IMHO, better again and my favourite album they made with Fish.
    Personally, good as it is, I find Misplaced Childhood to be a a bit of a mis-step. Side one was lovely but side two remains, to my ears at least, to be the single most dreary collection of songs the band have put out, to this day. Clutching At Straws righted the ship though.

As to Fugazi, I thoroughly enjoy it. Even after all this time, it remains in my Marillion Top five (along with the debut, Season's End, Holidays In Eden and Marbles) but even my lowest ranked Marillion albums would score a 3 out of 5. They've been endearingly consistent.