Thread: I saw an XTC tribute show last night.

I saw an XTC tribute show last night.

I say show because it was not just a 'band' but a collection of musicians operating under the name Bandhouse gigs

Very cool evening.
    The musicians traded off for almost every song as the requirements of the arrangement dictated.
    43 musicians, a couple of MC's and stage guys. Controlled chaos.
    They covered a broad range of material from Drums and Wires to Wasp Star ( Apple Venus 2 )
    Sometimes a quartet, sometime 18-20 musicians on stage.There were two A cappella songs with a 9 member group.
    The show was 2 1/2 hours and covered probably 27 songs.
    It was clear that this was music performed for the love of the music, not an attempt to replicate the original sound.
    But they all did a pretty good job. And they sold out The Barns of Wolf Trap, ~382 seats. Not too shabby.

It made me wonder if other regions have collectives like this.
    I had never heard of Bandhouse Gigs before this show was announced, and I give them a lot of credit for organizing the performers around a band like XTC.

Apparently Partridge and Moulding knew about and gave thumbs up for the whole thing.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Sounds similar to "Sense Working Overtime" which is an Annual tribute/Breast Cancer benefit in the Twin Cities.

2019 is the 7th annual, and like the one you describe, is a large handful of musicians who collaborate on usually 20 or more tunes.

No idea if Partridge, Moulding, Gregory or others are aware of it, but it would be cool if they were.

http://turfclub.net/show/2019-04-xtc-tribute/

Doesn't one of the moderators have a collective-sort of thing where they perform various Prog music occasionally in the Atlanta area?
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    Sounds similar to "Sense Working Overtime" which is an Annual tribute/Breast Cancer benefit in the Twin Cities.

2019 is the 7th annual, and like the one you describe, is a large handful of musicians who collaborate on usually 20 or more tunes.

No idea if Partridge, Moulding, Gregory or others are aware of it, but it would be cool if they were.

http://turfclub.net/show/2019-04-xtc-tribute/
    Very cool. 7th, that is pretty amazing. A dedicated group. Good cause too.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

There is a Chicago area collective called Tributosaurus that performs multiple shows monthly booked as "Tributosaurus Becomes xxxxxxx". Where the placeholder is anything from the Monkees and Beatles to Allman Brothers, Pink Floyd, James Brown. Jackson Browne, Motown, etc. There is a core band with a rotating cast of guests to flesh out a given subject/sound. I do not know if they have "become" XTC.

Also the Chicago area School of Rock plays multiple concerts each year ranging from opening slots for national/international acts to appearing at local Progtoberfest performing whole albums (Yes, Supertramp) and shows associated with the SoR organization. I caught the 2018 graduating class performing a 2 hour program of Zappa with a rotating cast of up to approximately 20 musicians/vocalists. Quite impressive when you consider the material and these musicians are "kids". And I say that with utmost respect.

How about some video of the show?

Rich Dashiell posted some videos on Facebook. Going to check them out now.

Back when I lived in LA (early 00s) I saw an XTC tribute, who did all of Drums and Wires, and then even more odd, I saw a Dukes of Stratosphere tribute! They did all of 25 o' clock. This one was I think like the "Tributosaurus" thing where the same guys did different tributes every month or two. One of the joys of living in a big music city was being able to see all kinds of esoteric stuff like that.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    Doesn't one of the moderators have a collective-sort of thing where they perform various Prog music occasionally in the Atlanta area?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Step right up.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Here you go.
    -- Aristotle

Andy is very supportive of the various XTC tribute bands out there and is super active on Twitter. You should @ him with that video!!!
    The Prog Corner

Did they do Making Plans For Nigel?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Did they do Making Plans For Nigel?
    Yes, that was the lone Drums and Wires song.
    -- Aristotle

That's fabulous!