Thread: Rest in peace, Davey Williams

Rest in peace, Davey Williams

One of the earliest free - music explorers in the United States and also one of the greatest unknown guitarists of all.

Wiki sez:
    Davey J. Williams (b. York, Alabama, 1952; d. April 2019) was an American free improvisation and avant-garde music guitarist. In addition to his solo work, he was noted for his membership in Curlew and his collaborations with LaDonna Smith.

Williams began on guitar at age 12. He played in rock bands in high school, and studied with blues musician Johnny Shines from the late 1960s until 1971. Early in the 1970s Williams played in the University of Alabama B Jazz Ensemble and the Salt & Pepper Soul Band. He also started working with LaDonna Smith around this time, and founded a musical ensemble/recording project called Transmuseq. He toured the U.S. and Europe in 1978. Early in the 1980s he worked in a blues band called Trains in Trouble, then joined Curlew in 1986, who released several albums on Cuneiform Records through the 1990s.

In the 1980s he also worked with Col. Bruce Hampton and OK, Nurse, and in the early 1990s played in a punk rock band called Fuzzy Sons. Concomitantly with Fuzzy Sons, Williams played in an improvisational three-piece called Say What?, and worked with Jim Staley and Ikue Mori. Williams appeared live at some 1,500 concerts worldwide.

Williams co-founded The Improviser, a journal of experimental music, in 1981. He also worked as a music critic for the Birmingham News and published freelance criticism elsewhere.

Williams died in April 2019 after a struggle with cancer.

----

I say:

Davey was a wonderful wit and huge fun to hang out with. He was a member of Curlew for over a decade and had many, many notable moments with them.

Here's one:

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace. Thanks for the great music.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I remember reading about him in a Guitar Player article on "outside" guitarists. If I remember correctly, the piece featured Davey, Hans Reichel, and two other guitarists whose names I've forgotten. I've got some of the Curlew records, as well as some of the John Zorn "game pieces" recordst hat he played on. Great player. Sorry, to hear he's gone.

RIP. The Hardwood spent quite a lot of time in my VHS and later DVD player. Watching Davey play was always one of the highlights of my many views. I would often ask myself, how does he even think of doing the things he does?, like on the St. Croix clip above. I came to the conclusion that he probably didn't. I'm guessing he developed and cultivated a direct link from his "third ear" to the guitar and otherwise kept his brain out of it as much as possible.

Aw, damn.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    RIP. The Hardwood spent quite a lot of time in my VHS and later DVD player. Watching Davey play was always one of the highlights of my many views. I would often ask myself, how does he even think of doing the things he does?, like on the St. Croix clip above. I came to the conclusion that he probably didn't. I'm guessing he developed and cultivated a direct link from his "third ear" to the guitar and otherwise kept his brain out of it as much as possible.
    Couldn't agree more, The Hardwood is fantastic! fortunately what he may have kept out of his brain is still available and can enter the brain of anyone who wants to listen.

A great guitarist, full of ideas and challenges. RIP.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

No video, but one of the greatest guitar solos ever. Like really ever-ever. IMO

And recorded 100% live / no post production tricks.

https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.co...n-our-hearts-2
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Great player. Loved him with Curlew.

Banned
    Damn! I had no idea. Very saddened to hear this news. I have fond memories of his performances, his unique presence and will continue to treasure his recorded legacy.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Those are some wild solos! Thanks for sharing, Steve.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com