Thread: Some Guys That Have Never Heard Rush

Some Guys That Have Never Heard Rush

Two black guys from my hometown listening to YYZ for the first time.

Then there's this other guy listening to Neil's drum solo.

Just some fun stuff to discuss. Funny how in both videos they know almost nothing about the band but they tend to get it right in what they say.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Another one with Xanadu. Like the line in Freaks and geeks, "I wish i had never heard that album so I could hear it again for the first time" this stuff is very much fun. Seeing people react like they do is so cool and a little bit of vindication from my teen age years where I was made fun of because I was a Rush fan.

Yeah, I've often felt that way about Rush albums; that I wish I could hear them again for the first time because even 30 years later I still remember that feeling they gave me, even if I don't get that feeling anymore when listening. I too enjoy these types of videos.

These "reaction" videos are all over youtube and seem to be quite popular. Must be an ego-gratification exercise for fans of a band.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Yeah, I've often felt that way about Rush albums; that I wish I could hear them again for the first time because even 30 years later I still remember that feeling they gave me, even if I don't get that feeling anymore when listening. I too enjoy these types of videos.
    I feel the same, I played A Farewell To Kings recently and thought how different it sounds to me now at 55 compared to the then 14 year old me. I remember the feelings that Rush/Yes/Genesis evoked when discovering for the first time which sadly can never be repeated. I also remember thinking that Cygnus X1 was the heaviest thing ever, but it sounds pretty light now compared to more modern metal sounds!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I also remember thinking that Cygnus X1 was the heaviest thing ever, but it sounds pretty light now compared to more modern metal sounds!
    I had the same experience with "Natural Science."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Because I am as old as dirt (but not as old as Geezer), my experience was 2112. I was pretty much weak in the knees after the first two segments.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Because I am as old as dirt (but not as old as Geezer), my experience was 2112. I was pretty much weak in the knees after the first two segments.
    Right. I vividly remember (and I have a terrible memory) the first time I heard it. I was working at a Kay-Bee toy store (remember them?), and I had this really cool manager who turned me on to all kinds of great music. He loaned me his cassette of 2112. I popped it in the car on the ride home, and that ethereal wind sound began. Thinking it was too quiet, I cranked it way up. I nearly drove off the road when the band came in!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Like the line in Freaks and geeks, "I wish i had never heard that album so I could hear it again for the first time"
    The best line on Freaks And Geeks was when Joe Flaherty chastises Jason Seigel for listening to Rush, saying, "That drummer you're listening to couldn't drum his way out of a wet paper sack", then proceeds to introduce him to Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich. I remember the Rush fanboys getting up in arms when that clip was posted on Youtube. Nobody seemed to get it was a joke (which was funny because it's true) and that Joe Flaherty is actually friends with the Rush guys (remember the Count Floyd thing on the Grace Under Pressure tour video?).

This reminds me of the reactions by prog rock fans at the Grieg Academy in Bergen on hearing that Mick Barr was coming for a performance during 'new music' days.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The best line on Freaks And Geeks was when Joe Flaherty chastises Jason Seigel for listening to Rush, saying, "That drummer you're listening to couldn't drum his way out of a wet paper sack", then proceeds to introduce him to Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich. I remember the Rush fanboys getting up in arms when that clip was posted on Youtube. Nobody seemed to get it was a joke (which was funny because it's true) and that Joe Flaherty is actually friends with the Rush guys (remember the Count Floyd thing on the Grace Under Pressure tour video?).
    I really dug that part and obviously I'm a big Rush fan. I didn't see it as a slight on Rush at all but was so damned funny coming from a guy who, like you said, played Count Floyd BITD for Rush.

I recently went back and watched the whole season of F&G and there's a scene where Seth Rogan is wearing a Rush shirt. It didn't exist in 1980 as it was from the whatever it was called "greatest hits" package. Retrospectives or some crap.

Also the same with my counterpart in the tv world (no joke, I played the saxophone in high school and was a big Rush fan and was also a jerk) in The Goldbergs. The guy who always wears a Rush shirt has a shirt that didn't exist back then or at least I never came across a Fly By Night shirt, for example.

Now it's cool to have Rush references in movies and tv. Wasn't always the case. Funny how that worked out.

I'd never seen a video like these but everything is on YouTube so I wasn't surprised that they existed but that the people were damn good at judging things. When the kid says tribal in Neil's drum solo, well, he's spot on. It is tribal, from his days bicycling through Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    These "reaction" videos are all over youtube and seem to be quite popular. Must be an ego-gratification exercise for fans of a band.
    I find them a bit odd, but it definitely falls in a "to each their own" kind of category.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I feel the same, I played A Farewell To Kings recently and thought how different it sounds to me now at 55 compared to the then 14 year old me. I remember the feelings that Rush/Yes/Genesis evoked when discovering for the first time which sadly can never be repeated. I also remember thinking that Cygnus X1 was the heaviest thing ever, but it sounds pretty light now compared to more modern metal sounds!
    Moving Pictures may very well be the most important "prog" album of all time for me, because it took me off the Top 40 crap train and onto the prog/classic rock train. After the usual suspects (Yes, ELP, etc) the next biggest thing ever for me was hearing Zappa in college - literally life-changing. Cardiacs did the same thing to me back in around 2012.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I swear I still feel like I get pretty close to the feeling I had when hearing AFtK when I was 15. Or maybe it's hard to distinguish the memory of a feeling from the feeling itself? Or maybe I was just high the the last time I heard it.
    <sig out of order>

Permanent Waves was one of the most amazing albums when I first heard it too. I remember I heard Entre Nous first on the radio and recorded it, tried not to play it too much before I got the album! The feelings and memories that album has for me are just huge. Invisible airwaves crackle with life...

I recently went back and watched the whole season of F&G and there's a scene where Seth Rogan is wearing a Rush shirt. It didn't exist in 1980 as it was from the whatever it was called "greatest hits" package.
    There's a few anachronisms on that show. There's one episode where one of the kids is talking about going to see The Wall sober, but The Wall didn't come out until 1982.

Also the same with my counterpart in the tv world (no joke, I played the saxophone in high school and was a big Rush fan and was also a jerk) in The Goldbergs. The guy who always wears a Rush shirt has a shirt that didn't exist back then or at least I never came across a Fly By Night shirt, for example.
    It could be a bootleg shirt, or something he either made himself or paid someone else to make. There used to be places where you could go, you could hand a guy an LP cover and say "Give me a shirt with that on it".

It could be a bootleg shirt, or something he either made himself or paid someone else to make. There used to be places where you could go, you could hand a guy an LP cover and say "Give me a shirt with that on it".

Er, no.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post

Er, no.
    What do you mean "er, no". You don't think someone could have a one off shirt made for them?

What do you mean "er, no". You don't think someone could have a one off shirt made for them?
    Because the Goldberg's is a sitcom, everything is nice and shiny. The shirts are all like first worn shirts right from the show. It's goofy to see as a Rush fan who knows the chronology but for those that aren't geeks they wouldn't know anything other than a band called Rush exists and at this point, the joke has been going on for long enough, in both shows, that even those who don't have any clue about the band know that it's a joke.

Rush has become a cool joke these days. Damn.

Because the Goldberg's is a sitcom, everything is nice and shiny. The shirts are all like first worn shirts right from the show. It's goofy to see as a Rush fan who knows the chronology but for those that aren't geeks they wouldn't know anything other than a band called Rush exists and at this point, the joke has been going on for long enough, in both shows, that even those who don't have any clue about the band know that it's a joke.
    The shirts were most likely made by the studio's wardrobe department. Any piece of clothing you can imagine, a Hollywood wardrobe department can make.
    Last edited by progmatist; 04-08-2019 at 02:55 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Damn, now I need to get a vintage looking Rush t-shirt. Fortunately, they're available online. My old concert tees have vanished over time, the only one that has survived (and doesn't fit) is the Zep '77 shirt. My wife is under strict orders to NEVER touch that.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The shirts were most likely made by the studio's wardrobe department. Any piece of clothing you can imagine, a Hollywood wardrobe department can make.
    Yes, thank you stating the obvious, which has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

TheLooney was suggesting that back in the 80's, that Fly By Night t-shirts didn't exist in the 80's, thus the character on The Goldbergs is wearing a shirt that couldn't have existed during the time period the show was made. My suggestion was that, in the context of the show's universe, the character could have either made the shirt himself, or had someone else with the skills make it for him, as I'm sure many fans did in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Damn, now I need to get a vintage looking Rush t-shirt. Fortunately, they're available online. My old concert tees have vanished over time, the only one that has survived (and doesn't fit) is the Zep '77 shirt. My wife is under strict orders to NEVER touch that.
    I used to have a Zep '77 tour t-shirt that my mom found at a thrift store when I was around 10. Man, I wore that shirt to death.

I was astonished by some of the band shirts I found on Amazon. I'd enter in a band name, and tons of stuff I didn't know existed popped up. I found Thin Lizzy, Blue Oyster Cult, Uriah Heep, etc stuff. You can get t-shirts, hoodies, bandanas, etc. They're all probably bootlegs, not officially licensed merchandise, but boy, I couldn't believe some of the album covers that are available on T-shirts.

Anyway, so I spent a stupid amount of money ordering a bunch of BOC and Uriah Heep shirts all at once, something like six or seven shirts altogether. The only thing was, most of them were coming direct from China, apparently, so they took like two months to get here! But at least I finally have a shirt of the first BOC cover again, and I also have Demons And Wizards, The Magician's Birthday and Abominog (!!!) on t-shirts. In fact, I'm wearing the Abominog shirt tonight to Nick Mason!

I always enjoy these videos. Some of the comments are quite stupid, but its cool that you are witnessing the birth of a fan. I like blowing my kids minds with old music that they never had a chance to hear. They have sometimes become instant fans and tell their friends about it. Uriah Heep just blew my son away once, and now his band does some Heep live at their shows. Kansas also, Older Dream Theater, Zeppelin, the Who... it still goes on.

Jerjo,

I know it's off topic but a mate of mine had a similar experience when he first heard 'Ogre Battle' from Queen 2. I just gave him the tape and let him find out for himself. Laughed at his reaction after the 'quiet beginning'