Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: GAME OF THRONES: Final season (8) discussion

GAME OF THRONES: Final season (8) discussion

(I didn't want to clog the general TV thread with GOT discussion.)

It's officially less than 10 days until our two year wait is over. We're getting pretty excited here!

Any predictions, theories, questions, etc.? Personally, I'm dying to see how the Lannisters end up, and what is going to happen now that the night king has begun advancing, with an undead dragon in tow... and what is going to happen when Euron Greyjoy returns?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

My 87 year old father is a total Game Of Thrones geek (he has read all the books and watched all of the series several times) was in a bad car accident back in February and was injured (he is doing much better now). Anyway......when he was in the hospital he told his doctor that he had to keep him alive at least long enough to see the end of Game Of Thrones. I thought it was kind of funny.....

Really looking forward to the final episodes. A conventional story would have the Mother Of Dragons and John Snow on the Iron Throne in the end, but GOT tends to throw curve balls, so we'll see how it all ends up.

Banned
    That’s a great anecdote about your father.

I bet it will end with a twist as well. I’d like to see Tyrion or Varys on the throne but my fear is they’re going to kill off either The Mother of Dragons or Snow and one or the other will ascend the Iron throne - but that will really piss off the fans. Maybe a total dark horse like Robert Baratheon’s bastard or Sansa because most other contenders are dead. I’m wondering which Lannisters survive as well, but IMO Circe needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I bet it will end with a twist as well. I’d like to see Tyrion or Varys on the throne but my fear is they’re going to kill off either The Mother of Dragons or Snow and one or the other will ascend the Iron throne - but that will really piss off the fans. Maybe a total dark horse like Robert Baratheon’s bastard or Sansa because most other contenders are dead. I’m wondering which Lannisters survive as well, but IMO Circe needs to go.
    I doubt it would be Sansa, and I can't imagine that Cersei will be allowed to live - not happily, anyway. You could be on to something with Gendry though, he is a very, very important character.

As for "The Mother of Dragons" and Jon Snow (or Daenerys and Aegon Targaryen if you prefer) - well, it seems likely that one or both of them would rule, but it's too hard to call. I won't be surprised if at least one of them is killed.

It's worth noting that all of this could be moot, if the night king wins and the living are all destroyed (seems a dark ending though, even for Martin).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I cannot fucking wait! I have no idea where they will go. Very curious what will happen with The Hound. Will he have an epic battle with The Mountain?
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I cannot fucking wait! I have no idea where they will go. Very curious what will happen with The Hound. Will he have an epic battle with The Mountain?
    I sure hope so. And what will happen with Theon's attempt to rescue Yara? Are Tormund and Beric alive? Will Varys play an important role the way he used to? Or will he just be assisting Tyrion and Daenerys? What about Brienne? Or Sam? So many questions... and I assume Bran will play a large role (I'd be fine if he didn't, personally).

I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens when Euron returns with the Golden Company to do Cersei's bidding.

Cersei is going to die at the hand of her younger brother according to the prophecy - the trouble is both brothers are younger.

My money is on Sansa sitting on top of the throne. With her erstwhile husband Tyrion becomes the Hand. Dany returns to the cottage with the red door after losing her love Jon Snow in the triumphant battle with the Night King. Arya becomes the Queen's favorite assassin.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I wanna see what happens when the Night Dragon fights a Live Dragon..

As to what will happen? My guesses are probably worse than the next guys'.

For that feel-good ending, the forces of good will defeat the evil dead and Jon and Dragon Queen will marry and ride off into the sunset.

As to some wacked-out possibilities;
    How about Bren the cripple ending up as the King of the Seven Kingdoms?
    How about Jamie Lannister killing his sister?

I dunno, it could be a blood bath of a season... with many of the regular cast killed off..

I think the ending is going to shock and surprise us no matter what we are expecting, it wont be a happy one that's for sure.

Also, is Little Finger really dead?

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

It's worth noting that all of this could be moot, if the night king wins and the living are all destroyed (seems a dark ending though, even for Martin).
    This would be my preferred ending, if I'm honest.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Cersei is going to die at the hand of her younger brother according to the prophecy - the trouble is both brothers are younger.

My money is on Sansa sitting on top of the throne. With her erstwhile husband Tyrion becomes the Hand. Dany returns to the cottage with the red door after losing her love Jon Snow in the triumphant battle with the Night King. Arya becomes the Queen's favorite assassin.
    It would be awesome to see Cersi ascend to the throne, temporarily, before Jamie kills her and doubles down on his "KingKiller" title.

Is there a line in Vegas on when Georgie boy will actually finish writing the books?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I'd have to go with yes on that one. He had his throat cut and an entire room of people watched him die.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    It would be awesome to see Cersi ascend to the throne, temporarily, before Jamie kills her and doubles down on his "KingKiller" title.
    Cersei is already on the throne.

I have to admit that there is a horrible part of me that would get a kick out of Tyrion becoming one of the dead.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I see a bloodbath.

Jon Snow will kill someone important to ending the story properly, but be killed by the Night King.

In turn The Night King will be defeated by Dany and the dragons (including the Night Dragon), but she will die in the process.

Cersei will be killed by Tyrion after The Mountain kills Jamie for trying to do the same. The Mountain will subsequently be turned to ashes by a dragon for closure.

Sansa will ascend to the throne after channeling the Dark Phoenix and destroying the Lannister army.

Bran will destroy the rest of the Night Army by vanquishing them to back in time (cue prequel story).

Samwise and Gilly will find provide an important clue to defeating the Night King and then go back to the Shire and live the rest of their lives.

But what of Arya...
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

^^^ Some of that is pretty plausible, actually. But how much of it? And yes, what of Arya... does she finish her kill list? And another that has yet to be mentioned - Melisandre. She's in it, so she's obviously important to some degree.

Banned
    Nice speculations. One I haven’t thought about before: Samwise on the throne! Although it is hard to see any path for him other than being named by John in extraordinary circumstances (and circumstances are always extraordinary), I cannot think of a more just, compassionate and wise potential king.

<edit> There will definitely be a bloodbath- reportedly there will be the largest battle sequence ever created (CGI) in the history of film or television.

One I haven’t thought about before: Samwise on the throne!
    Well now you're getting into Tolkien territory...

Banned
    ^^^
    Good point! That makes it ever so slightly more likely since Martin is of course a massive Tolkien fan. Also Samwise is a very hobbit-like name come to think of it!

^^^
    Good point! That makes it ever so slightly more likely since Martin is of course a massive Tolkien fan. Also Samwise is a very hobbit-like name come to think of it!
    Samwise is a hobbit's name. Samwell is a potential Maester's name.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'd have to go with yes on that one. He had his throat cut and an entire room of people watched him die.
    But was it really Little Finger? What if it was a Faceless Man that Ayra cut from ear to ear?

But was it really Little Finger? What if it was a Faceless Man that Ayra cut from ear to ear?
    Hmmm... I've never considered that, interesting thought. But I can't think of a reason behind all of that.

I think the ending is going to shock and surprise us no matter what we are expecting, it wont be a happy one that's for sure.

See my post #6. According to the link I posted Littlefinger will return this season.

Nice speculations. One I haven’t thought about before: Samwise on the throne! Although it is hard to see any path for him other than being named by John in extraordinary circumstances (and circumstances are always extraordinary), I cannot think of a more just, compassionate and wise potential king.

<edit> There will definitely be a bloodbath- reportedly there will be the largest battle sequence ever created (CGI) in the history of film or television.
    There is a theory out there that in the end Sam is the one who writes the entire history that is Game Of Thrones. There were hints in season 6.

Did anyone see Saturday Night Live tonight? John Snow was the host. His monologue featured several other GOT actors.