Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Thread: GAME OF THRONES: Final season (8) discussion

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Anyone watch the 2 hour behind the scenes special tonight? I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Anyone watch the 2 hour behind the scenes special tonight? I enjoyed it.
    Indeed we did, and enjoyed it thoroughly! I was quite won over by a few of those behind-the-scenes people.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The Special was great, cool to see how much impact that show had on so many People involved.

The first reading Scene at the begining was awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    The Special was great, cool to see how much impact that show had on so many People involved.

The first reading Scene at the begining was awesome...
    I saw an interview with Emily Clark recently where she said that at the table read, she had already read the script, but Kit Harrington had not, so it was pretty cool to see his reaction as he read that his character was going to kill Danny for the first time.

Thought the special was great, I loved when Varys threw his script on the table when they read the bit on him being executed. And everyone cheering Arya when she kills the Night King.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

We noticed at least one of those scripts had a very different working title. In the scene where they were shredding them after the table reads.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    Did anyone get the impression from the reading that (at that point) the series would end with Danny’s death? Regardless of the short comings of the final season, it was a tremendous achievement and one which will have long reverberations for the future of television me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Did anyone get the impression from the reading that (at that point) the series would end with Danny’s death? Regardless of the short comings of the final season, it was a tremendous achievement and one which will have long reverberations for the future of television me thinks.
    Yes I thought the same thing but I was pretty underwhelmed by that documentary. All that effort they put it only to ruin it. The battle of Winterfell may as well have been total CGI for how bad it looked. At least we got to see how Ayra killed the Night King, she was hanging from wires and then seemed to be standing on a table when trying the stab him - one of the lamest moments in the show. If she could do that then why not do it at the beginning of the episode and save thousands of lives, it couldn't have been less credible. I did enjoy the last episode and I tried to make the best of it but this final season has been a big let down and I do feel very cynical about it now, they bodged the ending of one of best shows ever on tv and I can never feel the same way about it now.

I'm rewatching the whole series, 2 episodes in.
    Ian

Did anyone get the impression from the reading that (at that point) the series would end with Danny’s death?
    I think it was the original ending, since they read it out and then said "End of Game Of Thrones" and they all applaud. I guess they changed their minds...

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Same here, except two seasons in now. Love all the foreshadowing that I missed even having seen it a number of times. I also forget how much I liked the character of Yoren, the Night's Watch recruiter who takes Arya and Gendry. I wish he had lasted longer.
    And as always, I'm reminded of what a terrific job Ramin Djawadi did with the score, all throughout the series. Some of those themes (and variations on) are exquisite IMO. Think for example of the "Chaos is a ladder" speech...

On a much more superficial note, I'm also happy to revisit this world when all of the attractive women were all still alive. Margaery Tyrell for example, or Daenerys' handmaid Doreah... pretty easy on the eyes. My wife gets to enjoy her favourites too, like Robb Stark and Jaquen H'ghar (he's a great character).

I've so far only watched the beginning of the documentary. The table read made me think that acting is a very weird profession.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I've so far only watched the beginning of the documentary. The table read made me think that acting is a very weird profession.
    The documentary reinforced that there must be an awful lot of sitting around doing nothing.
    Ian

Morgan Freeman reviews GoT:

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Banned
    ^^^
    Nice. Thanks for posting that. I have to agree that Bran was the only truly WTF moment for me regarding the ending. It's a good reminder though of some of the iconic scenes from this amazing series. Even the last season had some amazing moments, at least visually: Lady Mormont killing the ice giant, Danny framed by Drogon as she relvealed her diabolical lust for power and vengence etc. etc. Enough with the sour grapes for me. Yes, yes, yes the last season certainly failed to meet expectations but it was no LOST (well it was no Breaking Bad either - but that was perhaps the best written, best acted TV series ever: Shakepeare to GOT's McNaught).

As always I'm sure YMMV!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I'm planning on doing this too, but I need a break from it for now.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    One thing I realized while watching the last episode is that pretty much any scene with a dragon in it looked like it could have been a good Rhapsody album cover

Thought the special was great, I loved when Varys threw his script on the table when they read the bit on him being executed. And everyone cheering Arya when she kills the Night King.
    It certainly appeared that the actor playing Varys (can't remember his name off the top of my head), was not very happy with that script.

I have watched that twice now, and still not sure if that was the actual way the table read ended or if the special was just cut / edited that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    It certainly appeared that the actor playing Varys (can't remember his name off the top of my head), was not very happy with that script.
    I found a pretty cool interview with him about his character's demise: https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/12/game-of...ce=twitter.com

Saw on the news this morning that Kit Harrington has checked into rehab, I thought he was a very level headed guy but it looks like the pressure has got to him. I wish him all the best for a speedy recovery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48442474

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    One thing I realized while watching the last episode is that pretty much any scene with a dragon in it looked like it could have been a good Rhapsody album cover
    Also, are we supposed to know which dragon is which, and to know their names? I only realized they had names in one of the last episodes.

Also, are we supposed to know which dragon is which, and to know their names? I only realized they had names in one of the last episodes.
    Yes we are supposed to know, although the show didn't always make it clear. The black (and largest) one Daenerys rides is Drogon, named after Khal Drogo. The one Jon had been riding was Rhaegal, named after his real father Rhaegar Targaryen. The first one killed (and then turned) was Viserion, named after Daenerys' other brother Viserys.

Yeah, they're a little more distinctive in the books as to the coloring, size, and disposition.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I honestly have no desire to watch that special. I DVR'd it just in case that feeling changes. I did however watch the finale again the other day and liked it less than the first time . Oh well...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak