Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: GAME OF THRONES: Final season (8) discussion

Saw an article from some professors that teach war tactics. They said the night king is likely flying the ice dragon to Kings Landing to scorch Cersi, bypassing Winterfell. So he won't be there and the whole plan with Bran as bait won't work. They said something's going to go very wrong by the tree.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What's the significance of the tree again?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What's the significance of the tree again?
    The Heart Trees where left by the "Children of the Forest". They repell the Undead and "greenseers" can
    view through their carved faces upon them.

6 hours to go... tonight's episode is titled The Battle Of Winterfell, and is 90 minutes. Apparently it's the longest battle sequence ever committed to film, and took eleven weeks to shoot. Directed by the guy who directed the episodes Hardholme and The Battle Of The Bastards.

This is gonna be big.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Not going to see it for a couple of weeks so no spoilers anyone.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Possibly the biggest episode of the whole series and we have to wait a couple weeks to discuss it here? ok.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    You're going to want to stay out of this thread then... just an FYI!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just asking guys
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I would be at least moderately surprised if the following are alive after tonight:

Tormund
    Bran
    Jorah
    Brienne
    Grey Worm
    Edd
    Beric
    Theon

I would also like the following to die, but I don't expect it:

Samwell
    Little Bear
    Jon (ideally to be turned into a white walker)
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

ARYA!!!!!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Wow.

That Melisandre ending, too. I have to process all of this!

Can I just say... Lyanna Mormont went out like the little hero I always knew she would be!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Can I just say... Lyanna Mormont went out like the little hero I always knew she would be!
    that was awesome! What a ride...holy crap. Gimme an A!!

Gimme a R!

What a freaking great episode! Not much strategy to that battle (why commit your cavalry so early) but then again, in the face of an unrelenting foe, what do you do but give it your all? I'm going to have to watch it again at some point to determine who all survived. And gee Bran, we expected...you know...something. I guess that will have to happen in the books.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sorry to be that guy...

Imo, for an Avengers movie climax or an Armageddon blockbuster, it was epic. But for narrative the scope of Game of Thrones, it was anti-climactic and much more superhero than the bleak reality we have come to expect. The climax, while visually stunning, was Hollywood formula. Some of the deeper questions go unanswered. I wonder if any long term story can live up to the build up over the years...

There's always 'that guy'...especially here at PE

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Sorry to be that guy...

Imo, for an Avengers movie climax or an Armageddon blockbuster, it was epic. But for narrative the scope of Game of Thrones, it was anti-climactic and much more superhero than the bleak reality we have come to expect. The climax, while visually stunning, was Hollywood formula. Some of the deeper questions go unanswered. I wonder if any long term story can live up to the build up over the years...
    I'm kinda with you here. A bit disappointed how it fell into the normality trap of all the main characters looking like they should die but somehow all survive. And the night king kill was a bit easy and almost deus ex machina-y. But, how they go forward I think will determine how much I actually like the episode.

As for deaths...did we see a definitive answer to Gendry and Tormund? I think we saw every other main character after the wights fell, but I can't recall seeing these two.

Wow.

That Melisandre ending, too. I have to process all of this!
    I'm more confused by that than anything. haha. Was there a narrative purpose to that that I missed?

My favorite moment!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    But, how they go forward I think will determine how much I actually like the episode.
    That's been my thought. I wonder if we'll get more details of how certain characters fared during the battle in flashback?
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 04-29-2019 at 08:00 AM.
    <sig out of order>

I'm more confused by that than anything. haha. Was there a narrative purpose to that that I missed?
    I think it was just that she fulfilled her prophecy and her destiny, as well as redeeming herself for previous mistakes and failures.

I'm wondering what Bran actually did when he went in warg form... was he just surveying the battle, and seeing when the night king was coming?

One complaint I have, and it stretches back a couple of seasons now, is that they don't seem to know what to do with Varys. He was such an important and much more powerful character in the books. Now he's just kind of there, without serving any purpose.

So next week I assume we return to King's Landing to see what's going on with Cersei, Euron & the Golden Company, Bronn, The Mountain, Qyburn, etc.

And what of Yara, I wonder?

I'm kinda with you here. A bit disappointed how it fell into the normality trap of all the main characters looking like they should die but somehow all survive. o.
    Overall I really enjoyed it, but have to agree that the show is relies too much on main characters miraculously getting out of impossible situations which becomes cliché after it is used so much. Other than that though, I thought it was a great episode.

One complaint I have, and it stretches back a couple of seasons now, is that they don't seem to know what to do with Varys. He was such an important and much more powerful character in the books. Now he's just kind of there, without serving any purpose.

der?
    He certainly has not been given much to do so far this season.

I'm kinda with you here. A bit disappointed how it fell into the normality trap of all the main characters looking like they should die but somehow all survive. And the night king kill was a bit easy and almost deus ex machina-y. But, how they go forward I think will determine how much I actually like the episode.
    That's fair. I will be in that camp as well.

I'm wondering what Bran actually did when he went in warg form... was he just surveying the battle, and seeing when the night king was coming?
    I also found that unfulfilled. My theory was that by going into "warg mode", he was traceable by The Night King - in other words, bait.

So next week I assume we return to King's Landing to see what's going on with Cersei, Euron & the Golden Company, Bronn, The Mountain, Qyburn, etc.

And what of Yara, I wonder?
    I think it will be mostly a setup episode, though you'll probably get to see what happens when Bronn meets Jamie/Tyrion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Sorry to be that guy...

I agree it got a bit superheroish or comic bookish but it was still an amazing episode with a lot of poignant moments and who would have seen Arya killing the Night King coming! I will reserve judgement on the unanswered questions for now, but if this is the end of the fight for the living and the overarching theme of majic coming back into the world it may seem very anit-climatic. There's a lot we don't know including WTF Bran was eye-rolling about, what Melisandre did on her mysterious trip etc. More twists and jaw-droppers to come no doubt. I'll wait to see what other tricks George and the show runners have up their sleeves. Perhaps the ultimate battle is between men, not the dead and they can bring that point home in spectacular fashion - also Cersi is a better and more interestin villian than the Night King and can offer more human drama and utlimately meaning IMO of course.