Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: GAME OF THRONES: Final season (8) discussion

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I think it was just that she fulfilled her prophecy and her destiny, as well as redeeming herself for previous mistakes and failures.

I'm wondering what Bran actually did when he went in warg form... was he just surveying the battle, and seeing when the night king was coming?

One complaint I have, and it stretches back a couple of seasons now, is that they don't seem to know what to do with Varys. He was such an important and much more powerful character in the books. Now he's just kind of there, without serving any purpose.

So next week I assume we return to King's Landing to see what's going on with Cersei, Euron & the Golden Company, Bronn, The Mountain, Qyburn, etc.

And what of Yara, I wonder?
    Thanks. I was hoping for more than that, but if that was it then, that's fine. Just seemed a little...erroneous? after such a large battle sequence.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I hope they locked anyone away that was involved with the end of LOST.

Man did I love that series, but the end was the most stupid and disapointing one i ever saw.
    Another LOST addict here who was very disappointed in the ending. There seem to be very few drams out there that have really been able to nail the ending (happens even more in movies). I am hoping that GOT is able to knock it out of the park, but it seems to be a very difficult thing to do.

While I think this episode was great TV it does remind me that the books would have probably handled this in a way that made much more sense, nuance, and certainly far better battle strategy. Also, the Night King doesn't really exist in the books. There is a reference to the Night's King, a former Lord Commander of the Watch that went over to the other side. That character has not appeared at all in the books. This stuff with the Night King leading the wights and walkers is all D&D. It's a shame we're likely never going to see the next book, let alone the grand finale.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Well that was a blast. RIP some characters we have loved especially the young Lady Mormont and Ser Jorah. A few thoughts:

1. Bran just sits there. I know he cant walk but so far we have seen very little of his powers (if he indeed has any that are useful). He went off 'warging' with some birds with no result. I was hoping for some pay off or some dialogue or explanation with the Night King - but nothing - Ayra saves the day thankfully.
    2. How did Sam survive when he just sat there crying?
    3. Most of the battle sequence was so dark it was difficult to see what was going on, I suppose the chaos reflects reality though.
    4. Did both the 'good' dragons survive - hard to tell?
    5. The overall arc of the story reminds me of Babylon 5 - anyone else remember that?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    4. Did both the 'good' dragons survive - hard to tell?
    Word is they appear in the teaser for ep4.

The overall arc of the story reminds me of Babylon 5 - anyone else remember that?
    As a big fan of B5, I'm curious where you're drawing the parallels. The Shadows are the "invaders" that have waited 1,000 years to take over, but I feel like it stops there unless we find out that Bran is Valen.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    While I think this episode was great TV it does remind me that the books would have probably handled this in a way that made much more sense, nuance, and certainly far better battle strategy. Also, the Night King doesn't really exist in the books. There is a reference to the Night's King, a former Lord Commander of the Watch that went over to the other side. That character has not appeared at all in the books. This stuff with the Night King leading the wights and walkers is all D&D. It's a shame we're likely never going to see the next book, let alone the grand finale.
    I haven't read the books, but this is interesting to read. Do the books still warn of the undead plight that threatens to kill all humanity? I mean, in the end is the major difference that there is no "leader" to speak of but the objectives are the same?

And is it possible TNK would have appeared in the next book considering that ended - as I understand it - with Jon Snow being betrayed by the Watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    So, did most of you know going into this episode that the Night King had to die? I figure it was pretty much a foregone conclusion considering they have the rest of the season to do and another war to wage. They couldn't do that with him distracting them, killing everyone and such. And you knew damn well they couldn't destroy all the undead. So.....
    Yes

Watched it again last night and it was even better. Love the "oh fuck" look the Night King gives at the dagger dropping from Arya's hand.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I haven't read the books, but this is interesting to read. Do the books still warn of the undead plight that threatens to kill all humanity? I mean, in the end is the major difference that there is no "leader" to speak of but the objectives are the same?

And is it possible TNK would have appeared in the next book considering that ended - as I understand it - with Jon Snow being betrayed by the Watch?
    No, the Night's King in the books was a legendary figure from ancient history, kind of like Bran The Builder. He is unlikely to appear in the books, unless Martin will allow the show to alter his vision of his own story.

The Others (or white walkers, the undead, etc.) are definitely becoming a concern as of book five, but this massive undead army marching south is a far cry from that. It's really only the free folk/wildlings and Jon and his companions who know they exist. They are still considered fairy tales by most people, and are also in fact much more attractive creatures than the hideous zombie-like ones we see on the show. Still evil looking, mind you, but with a kind of eerie beauty.

I know it's been said a million times, but the books really are far better (as much as I love the show too) and more expansive. And the two entities are so different now, they can be viewed as distinctly different versions of the story. There are huge... no, massive characters and story lines that have been completely omitted from the show. Some characters are still alive on the show that were killed in the books too. Oh, if only they had included Lady Stoneheart on the show. What a missed opportunity.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Watched it again last night and it was even better. Love the "oh fuck" look the Night King gives at the dagger dropping from Arya's hand.
    I'm looking forward to re-watching. It was just an insane frenzy the first time around.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    By the way, one of my favorite scenes was that view from Winterfel of Dothraki swords catching fire on the battlefield.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

As a big fan of B5, I'm curious where you're drawing the parallels. The Shadows are the "invaders" that have waited 1,000 years to take over, but I feel like it stops there unless we find out that Bran is Valen.
    I was thinking of the similarity between Sheridan & Delenn in B5 drawing the different races together to fight the Shadows and Vorlons to Jon Snow & Dany bringing everyone together to fight the white walkers. Then of course in B5 Sheridan had to put down President Clark back on earth while now Jon & Dany have to put down Cersei. In both cases the good guys destroyed the greater evil out of sight of the main populace who will likely know nothing about it and will give them little credit for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Someone on Twitter made an interesting observation yesterday: Martin was always more concerned with the fantasy element, while the show runners have been more into the politics. Since Martin's vision has been over-reached, it's become more political and less fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    By the way, one of my favorite scenes was that view from Winterfel of Dothraki swords catching fire on the battlefield.
    Absolutely. That was really cool.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I read this article on the anti-climax and thought I’d share.

https://apple.news/AmvX_-yhmTeeBkimy18b0Ww

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

hard to disagree with most of that, even if I personally care more about the microscale than this very macroscale argument the writer is making.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

From an aesthetic and technical point of view great episode, narrative wise it's messy as frozen hell to rest in the picture. You don't even want to try to understand what's happening. A bit like Zappa's Anything anytime anywhere for no reason at all. Not that I didn't enjoyed the show but I definitely expect not much from the rest. Favourite scene : the Arya in the bibliothèque make-no-noise scene. I hope that the Night King comes back, coolest character in the show.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Good article with a lot of good points.

Good post, Cozy.

Here's a military strategist breaking down all the mistakes in the big battle. I still can't get over how Team Alive wasted their cavalry and heavy infantry. I wonder if Dany were savvy enough to save some in reserve to cover a retreat from Winterfell. I guess that's how I would have written it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Just thinking about the Freudian undertones of the plot with Arya just having lost her virginity killing a couple of hours later her frozen Überfather by putting a pointed object into his soft spot. ...
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Sorry but I did think the battle was a mess, I mean the execution of it in the story. (Not that impressed with the filming of it either considering it took 55 nights). They should never have sent the Dothraki forward like that, and the way they were defeated so quickly seemed unlikely compared to how the wave of defence fought back at Winterfell. They should have sent the dragons in first.

Personally, I liked the darkness & confusion of the battle sequences. It was more immersive, making you feel a little like how it might actually be in the midst of something like that. And when I didn't really have much trouble determining when one of the main characters was on screen. I liked the instances when someone appeared to be overwhelmed and may actually have been killed, only to reappear later. One of the things I like most about this series is the fact that almost anyone can die at any time.

I liked the element the darkness brought also. Although I did play with the TV picture settings a bit. And at you guys nitpicking the battle plans like they should have applied todays military strategies.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Banned
    I rewatched the episode and a lot more things make sense including both Bran's and Jon's action which make perfect sense.

In my book it is a meticulously done, superbly crafted episode with many amazing images and moments heavy with meaning, emotion and symbolism. There are wonderful call-backs to even some of the earliest moments of the series and I find most of the criticisms to be sour grapes that things did not unfold as the critic expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I rewatched the episode and a lot more things make sense including both Bran's and Jon's action which make perfect sense.

In my book it is a meticulously done, superbly crafted episode with many amazing images and moments heavy with meaning, emotion and symbolism. There are wonderful call-backs to even some of the earliest moments of the series and I find most of the criticisms to be sour grapes that things did not unfold as the critic expected.
    I agree. Re-watching it cleared up any minor confusion experienced during the battle. It was quite an excellent episode, and as far as all the 'darkness' issues I've seen raised all over the net, I wonder how many of those people watch these things on laptop and tablet screens nowadays? I watched it with the lights off on my big screen TV as it aired, and the next morning neither my wife nor I could understand all of the complaints we were seeing. It was a disorienting, chaotic battle, just as it should have been IMO.

Anyone notice that undead Viserion was leaking blue fire out of the gash that was torn in his throat? I thought that was a cool little attention to detail. I noticed it in the scene towards the end where Jon keeps having to take shelter from him in the courtyard.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Some worthy points in there, but isn't the author's biggest complaint based on an idea (the nature and symbolism of the Night King) from the books and one that hasn't really been fleshed out at all (or at least not significantly) within the TV series? Once the series deviated substantially from the books one is only guaranteeing their own disappointment if they expect the series to conform....especially when there is no longer a book to conform to.
    <sig out of order>