Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: GAME OF THRONES: Final season (8) discussion

Banned
    I don't think Jon and Blondie will rule the seven Kingdoms - just too easy and predictable.

This Bran thing has been a sub-plot for a long time, he was touched in the "burrow" of the last 3-Eyed Raven when he dwelled to long in his visions, so I assume this will be a key vehicle in the plot. The current tactic as described to use Bran is key to luring out and isolating the Night King and destroying him as thier only hope of dealing with the overwhelming odds of defeating the vast Army of the Dead. But I guess all that's fairly obvious. Anyway I'm betting my chips that Bran will indeed be key to this and even reveal powers that enable a victory or at least temporary survival over the white devils.

...and yes it is a bit disturbing to see the once innocent child Arya now grown and being sexualized, but I did drive home the point of eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we may die!

Banned
    Ghost just sort of appeard without explaination - when did we see him last? Wan't he list north of the wall or something? Where did he come from? That might have been a nice little reunion scene with Jon...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Ghost just sort of appeard without explaination - when did we see him last? Wan't he list north of the wall or something? Where did he come from? That might have been a nice little reunion scene with Jon...
    I can't recall now, it was a few seasons ago now... as far as I know he was at the wall, and I guess he came along to Winterfell with the rest of the Night's Watch. It would be interesting if Nymeria (Arya's wolf) and her pack showed up to help in the fight as well!

I'm also looking forward to Jorah wielding Heartsbane against the white walkers. I fear he will be one of many killed, however.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

My theory........

Wait for it....

The dead in the crypt--will come alive. Bad news.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

^^^ Well, that would mind blowing, but how would that happen?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Well, you heard Dany say, in the preview from next episode---"the dead are already here" right?
    Not sure how it's going to go down......
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    My theory........

Wait for it....

I too have thought this. They really hammered the point home last episode of the crypt being safe, so I can only assume that means the crypt will turn into one of the more dangerous areas. Filling it with undead Starks would fit that bill.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I seriously don't get all the hubbub regarding Arya's sex scene. It's perfectly ok to watch her brutally and graphically murder people, but side-boob is a big no-no. Pfffft. And don't forget, these characters were waaaaay younger in the novels.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I don't have an issue with it, myself. Arya is a take charge kind of woman, and that's just what she did. And we have watched her ruthlessly murder people, after all. A little sex isn't so bad. And unlike many other instances on the series, there was no full nudity or actual sex being shown. It's probably the most tasteful sex scene they've ever done, now that I think about it.
    I'm with you here.

Also, how much time has actually passed on the show? I assume she has to be at least 16 in the show's timeline.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I'm with you here.

Also, how much time has actually passed on the show? I assume she has to be at least 16 in the show's timeline.
    Apparently 18 in the shows timeline.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Apparently 18 in the shows timeline.
    Ah, so well into womanhood then.

Thanks. This feels like. So much has happened on the show that I'm glad it's not suppose to be scrunched into 2 years or something silly like that.

In the season trailer you see Arya running through the crypt being chased by someone/something - so yeah, it's going to be a war down there. But the real battle will be decided in front of that tree.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I seriously don't get all the hubbub regarding Arya's sex scene. It's perfectly ok to watch her brutally and graphically murder people, but side-boob is a big no-no. Pfffft. And don't forget, these characters were waaaaay younger in the novels.
    Speaking for myself, I explained my reasoning and where I was coming from so I don’t understand the hubbub about the hubbub. There’s pretty much a killing and a nipple in every show, so that’s not really the point.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I too have thought this. They really hammered the point home last episode of the crypt being safe, so I can only assume that means the crypt will turn into one of the more dangerous areas. Filling it with undead Starks would fit that bill.
    It’s possible, but I would prefer that didn’t happen. It doesn’t need to become World War Z. And its a bit hard to swallow considering one would figure that Jon and company would know the crypt had that risk.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I don't have any problem other than I just felt a little creepy pausing it to try and see if I could catch a nip

Honestly though...I didn't really think the scene was necessary, but nothing was ruined for me.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It’s possible, but I would prefer that didn’t happen. It doesn’t need to become World War Z. And its a bit hard to swallow considering one would figure that Jon and company would know the crypt had that risk.
    I agree that it would be a bit of a loloops on the 'heroes' part, but it's not like most (if not all) of them haven't made various boo-boos throughout the series. My main question with it, if it happens, is how. Could they be raised from outside the crypt or do they have to breach it first?

Really enjoyed this weeks episode. Good that Jon Snow had the awkward conversation with Dani, Jaime knighted Brienne and Tormund's talk around the fireside was hilarious. This episode made me realise how much I love most of the characters, many of them have made big mistakes and done bad things but have come together for the common good. It will be painful to lose any of them, I think the only person I want to die is Cersei and the one I really don't want to die is Brienne. Looking forward to next week, its gonna be epic!

PS. Not at all phased by Ayra and Gendry's get together, why the fuss?

I thought the Arya/Gendry thing was going to be more cringeworthy than it turned out to be. Tastefully done and it was one more way (along with the fireside chat, Brienne's promotion, etc.) to drive home the seriousness of what is about to be faced.

The story about the origin of the name "Giantsbane" was hilarious.
    <sig out of order>

Another take on the Arya/Gendry coitus

https://slate.com/culture/2019/04/ga..._recirc_recent
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I thought the Arya/Gendry thing was going to be more cringeworthy than it turned out to be. Tastefully done and it was one more way (along with the fireside chat, Brienne's promotion, etc.) to drive home the seriousness of what is about to be faced.

The story about the origin of the name "Giantsbane" was hilarious.
    Absolutely. The only reason it was a bit odd for me at first is that I still think of her as a child (us book readers find it hard to drop our visions of these characters). But it was not at all gratuitous (what, two seconds of a bit of skin and no sex shown - just them laying together afterwards), and why deny Arya the opportunity to explore a perfectly natural pleasure of life on what she believes to be her last night in this world? Her entire story arc has been about growing up and losing her innocence, as with her siblings. It was one of the least weird sexual encounters we've ever seen on the show: it wasn't incestuous, it had no trace of violence, it wasn't cheating on a partner, it wasn't a drunken brothel visit... it was two youngsters engaging in a bit of passion before they (might) die. We love Arya, do we not? Good for her, I say. It was nice to see a bit of humanity in her, after her cold, robotic behaviour these last few seasons.

Fully agreed about Tormund's giant story! He's such a great character, I hope he lives... it's beginning to dawn on me how traumatic these next few episodes could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Another take on the Arya/Gendry coitus

https://slate.com/culture/2019/04/ga..._recirc_recent
    Ha! I've just made similar points as you posted that. Well written, and I agree.

My GF's son, who is pretty geeked up on the show, thinks that the Night King is flying the undead dragon to King's Landing to do some damage, there.

It's interesting to me, to theorize how this will play out. Will the Winterfell folk have to defeat the Walkers and then Cersei's army? Or will the Undead divide and conquer both, perhaps drawing the two kingdoms together?

We know that next week will be the big battle, but there's still a lot of story to tell after that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

They killed the House of Umber (all of them), how boring.. But Arya got la...…. HuHu

What a bore , one hour night-before-the-battle-campfire-athmosphere while waiting that Bob would pop up in a cameo role as a menstrel and sing Knockin On Heaves Door...but no only a celtic folk song over shots of the soon to be departed. They really deserve to get kicked in the ass by team whitewalkers.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    My theory........

Wait for it....

...or the dead in the crypt--will come alive and save the ding dong day. Good news.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.