Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: GAME OF THRONES: Final season (8) discussion

We got said cat when he was about six months old and he behaved, well, there's the English phrase "like a right cunt". Just raising all kinds of hell. So he earned the name within a couple days. Then again he'll climb on my chest to get some sugar and will spend half the night wedged up against you if he feels he didn't get enough during the day. He's a ginger Oriental Shorthair and a big sonovabitch, close to 18 pounds.

Another great bit of acting on Thrones was the back and forth between Varys and Littlefinger in the early seasons. Nothing histrionic or scenery chewing, just two master schemers quietly sliding metaphorical knives between ribs.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Another great bit of acting on Thrones was the back and forth between Varys and Littlefinger in the early seasons. Nothing histrionic or scenery chewing, just two master schemers quietly sliding metaphorical knives between ribs.
    Absolutely. That's when they were far more interesting characters than what they became, although both were still watered down from how powerful they were in the books. Great actors though.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm thinking I might read the most recent book in the saga ready for when the final one comes out.

Looking forward to Bloodmoon (The Long Night)!

Here's a bit of info on the prequel series:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5480306/g...edium=Facebook

George R. R. Martin, acclaimed author of the popular A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy novels — which are best known for inspiring the recently-concluded HBO hit, Game of Thrones — has just revealed some previously unheard details about one of the show’s upcoming prequel series.

During an extensive interview with Entertainment Weekly (EW) posted on Tuesday, Martin, 70, wasn’t afraid to go in-depth on the Jane Goldman-directed project.

Goldman, 49, was green-lit for the project by HBO in mid-2018. She’s best known as the screenwriter for films like Kick-Ass (2010), X-Men: First Class (2011) and various others.

What we already know about the series is that it will be set around 5,000 years before the events Game of Thrones took place. This era is also be known as “The Golden Age of Heroes,” according to Variety.

On this, Martin told EW that rather than focusing on the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, which many fans grew to learn and love, they’ve gone back far enough in this installment that there will be around 100 kingdoms still standing in the fictional land.

The author also suggested that the ruthless Lannister family would be absent from this series. “The Lannisters aren’t there yet,” he said, “but Castlery Rock is certainly there; it’s like the Rock of Gibraltar.”

In Game of Thrones, Casterly Rock is the ancestral stronghold of the Lannister family, which includes starring characters and siblings Tyrion, Jaime and Cersei Lannister. However, in this iteration, the castle hasn’t been claimed by the powerful family just yet, according to Martin.

“It’s actually occupied by the Casterlys,” he told EW, “for whom it’s still named after in the time of Game of Thrones.”

It’s unclear if the Lannisters will be introduced in the show and take over Casterly Rock, however, Martin additionally revealed that the Stark family will “definitely be there.”

While Martin made no mention of dragons, he confirmed that some other fan-favourite creatures would be making a return.

“Obviously the White Walkers are here,” he said, “or as they’re called in my books, The Others — and that will be an aspect of it. There are things like direwolves and mammoths,” he added.

As revealed by HBO, Naomi Watts, Naomi Ackie, and Denise Gough will all play roles in the upcoming series, with no details regarding their characters yet.

Martin added that, much like Game of Thrones, there will be no “lead” characters, but rather “an ensemble.”

“We don’t have leads so much as a large ensemble cast,” he admitted. “I think that will be true for this show too.”

On the title of the show, Martin supposedly hoped it would be called The Long Night, adding, “I heard a suggestion that it could be called The Longest Night, which is a variant I wouldn’t mind.”

Unfortunately for fans of Martin’s novels, the writer gave no major updates on the sixth A Song of Ice and Fire installment: The Winds of Winter. He did, however, confirm to EW that it was the only book he is currently working on.

It was revealed back in May, following the highly-anticipated series finale, that Game of Thrones will not be getting any sequels or spinoffs at all.

When asked if the Arya Stark (portrayed by Maisie Williams) story arc would continue in another series, Casey Bloys, HBO’s president of programming, shot down all possibilities of not only Arya getting her own series but every character in the Game of Thrones world.

“Nope, nope, nope,” Bloys told the Hollywood Reporter on Tuesday. “No.”

“Part of it is that I want Game of Thrones to be its own thing,” said Bloys. “I don’t want to take characters from this world that (showrunners D.B. Weiss and David Benioff) did beautifully and put them off into another world with someone else creating it.”
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

For you GOT fans who are also Yankees fans, this may interest you:

As nauseating as I think this is, I have to admit I also find it amusing.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    For you GOT fans who are also Yankees fans, this may interest you:

As nauseating as I think this is, I have to admit I also find it amusing.
    That's really good. Except he lost and this year the Yanks are winning!

I will believe George is done only when a copy is in my shriveled, aging hands. We'll see ten seasons of the new series first.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/george...ore-tv-spinoff
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sis loaned me the books and is going back and watching this again so I figured what the hell. It's just a family friendly romp, right?

I won't get into most of what this discussion has been about, whether the end was good, bad or shit. You guys had to wait years for this to unfold, I took two weeks.

Best character - Tyrion hands down. "Wooden cock" comes to mind but there are so many great lines from him. PD really embraced that role.

Worst - Bloody hell, Joffrey and Ramsey were so awful it's hard to tell. I'll go with Ramsey as he was hunting humans for sport while Jofffey was a spoiled fart who really didn't know his ass from a large number of holes in the ground. He also was young but that's no excuse, right? Hmmm.

A nomination for the best battle scene ever put on tape with the Battle of the Bastards. A very accurate representation of a medieval war battle. The piles of dead were a little high for a combined forces of 10,000 or so (Ramsey said he had 6,000 and Jon had "less than half that") but other than that, the tactics, the utter brutality and absolute luck that one must have to survive, the whole damned beginning with Ramsey toying with Rickon....fantastic.

Blackwater also came out well on film but Winterfell got a little hazy(no pun intended) and was a bit hard to follow.

Didn't really buy Dany going full-on Mad Queen. They surely had the money to do more episodes so if they wanted to they could have made that pay off. A couple of other quibbles about the end but really, that is the part that stands out. So...WHY didn't they do more episodes in the last two seasons and flesh it out?

Whatever, I've got the books but I'm not sure if I can read them. They're paperback and the print is really tiny. Couldn't read the map at the start even with my glasses and magnifying glass.

HODOR!!!!!
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

The wife and I just finished re-watching the entire Game Of Thrones series. She had not been into it at all, but when I was watching the final season, she saw the last few episodes and decided she wanted to go back and watch the whole thing. There were many things in the early episodes, that I had completely forgotten about, and watching the whole thing from beginning to end within a tight time frame was quite different from watching it over the years. I have to admit that I liked the ending a lot more this time than I did before. Danny going ballistic was not as far-fetched as I thought it was as there were clues all along that pointed to that direction that I did not really catch. I still think that the whole white walker battle was a bit anti-climactic, but not sure what they could have done differently. It was far from a perfect series, and there were some plot points that I did not care for and some things that did not work. There were a few too many impossible escapes from main characters getting out of situations that they never should have survived. I am still not a huge fan of characters coming back from the dead (especially John Snow) either. That being said, I really enjoyed re-watching the series and for the most part it was pretty amazing.