Thread: New Music From Dennis DeYoung

New Music From Dennis DeYoung

Dennis co-write and sings this new track from Jim Peterik & World Stage.
    He also promises a new studio album later this year. Good song, reminds me of classic St*x

I thought his last album "100 Years From Now" was really good. In fact it might be the best solo album he has ever done.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    His voice sounds pretty solid.

Sounds more like Styx than Styx does lately.

Yes i like this song.

His voice does sound very good, as does the song itself. I agree: that's a classic Styx sound! On the other hand, DDY's lipstick isn't working for me. That along with his antics makes him look a wee bit creepy. Ah, the wonders of video!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I thought his last album "100 Years From Now" was really good. In fact it might be the best solo album he has ever done.
    I don't think it's nearly as good as his three solo albums in the 80s and wonder why some think so like some rave reviews on Amazon. I'd say thissong is better than anything on 100 Years From Now but the chorus is right from one of my favorite Styx songs, "Pieces of Eight."

Sounds more like Styx than Styx does lately.
    That's because of the chorus!

"Gone, Gone, Gone" is good; "Radio Silence/Man In the Wilderness" also good; but "Time May Bend", "The Outpost", and especially "Red Storm" are very good and sound like Styx to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    His voice does sound very good, as does the song itself. I agree: that's a classic Styx sound! On the other hand, DDY's lipstick isn't working for me. That along with his antics makes him look a wee bit creepy. Ah, the wonders of video!
    The whole vid is kinda creepy. Purple hair don't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I don't think it's nearly as good as his three solo albums in the 80s and wonder why some think so like some rave reviews on Amazon. I'd say thissong is better than anything on 100 Years From Now but the chorus is right from one of my favorite Styx songs, "Pieces of Eight."

That's because of the chorus!

"Gone, Gone, Gone" is good; "Radio Silence/Man In the Wilderness" also good; but "Time May Bend", "The Outpost", and especially "Red Storm" are very good and sound like Styx to me.
    I thought his 80's era albums were inconsistent. All 3 had songs that I thought were really good, but they all had some filler too. Admittedly it has been a long time since I have listened to any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I saw him live a few years ago and his voice was pretty much perfect. Both he and Tommy Shaw still have all of their range which is pretty amazing. I agree about the lipstick though. It does not work....

Jon Neudorf
    Looks and antics aside, thats one hell of a catchy track. The Pieces of Eight reference is spot on.

Jon

Yes, a hint of the song "Pieces of Eight" keeps popping up in the chorus. I like the song though and seems to have positive message.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post

The Mission is an excellent effort from the current Styx line-up.

I LOVE this song - catchy as hell, those harmonies and DDY's voice is sublime. The lipstick? Blame the video director.

This is what Peterik said about it:

The video itself was produced and shot by Greg Bizzaro assisted by Jon Bizzaro at his new Soundstage. Kristie Schram was busy shooting stills and inspiring the best in us.

The band that backs up Dennis and me includes one of the incredible guitarists from Dennis’ own band, August Zadra, Ed Breckenfeld on drums, my son Colin Peterik on keyboards and Kevin Campbell on bass.

Can you tell that Dennis and I are having a blast singing this song, reveling in the many years we’ve known each other and celebrating the musical camaraderie and mutual respect we’ve developed over the years? The fun we are having is unmistakable!

The lyric of this song is certainly meaningful in today’s world: looking for the best in everyone, the Heaven right here on earth.

And no, we are not performing in front of a Green Screen. We are standing before an incredible array of LED lights on vast screens onto which Greg and his team played worldly and other-worldly images. Bravo!

Dennis and I truly hope our song inspires you to look for signs of heaven “in every stranger’s face.”

Peace. Jim & Dennis