Thread: Steeleye Span - 50th Anniversary / New Album / Tour

Steeleye Span - 50th Anniversary / New Album / Tour

Piecing together information about the 50th Anniversary. I caught an Instagram post from the Recording Studio engineer stating the album is done and being mixed down with emphasis on having it ready for the tour now currently underway. I erased my Instagram account so can't post the link to this.

The following is from the Park Records Website.....however, when trying to preorder.....it states it's out of stock??

Steeleye Span's new album, EST'D 1969 will be officially released on June 17th, 2019!

The album is currently available on the Spring Tour and physical copies will be available directly from the Park Shop on the 18th April here: http://parkrecords.com/shop/

Track Listing

1. Harvest
    2. Old Matron
    3. The January Man
    4. The Boy And The Mantle (Three Tests Of Chastity)
    5. Mackerel of the Sea
    6. Cruel Ship’s Carpenter
    7. Domestic
    8. Roadways
    9. Reclaimed

I really like the current lineup and the last album Dodgy Bastards.....been a fan for 40 years.

From the tour info it seems the fiddle player Jessie May Smart is on Maternity Leave and a sub is in place... (to play fiddle.....not mother...) The 50th Tour sadly is UK-only.....

Also saw Ian Anderson is on flute for one of the tunes in the album.

Sorry for the snippets.....The band / record company is not very good at marketing. I checked Amazon US...it's not there yet. Maybe wait till April 18th when the Park Records website says it will be available to order.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Steeleye Span has released some absolutely crackin' albums over the years. My favorites are probably:
    1. Now We Are Six (1974)
    2. All Around My Hat (1975)
    3. Below The Salt (1972)
    4. Hark! The Village Wait (1970)
    5. A Parcel of Rogues (1973)
    6. Tempted and Tried (1989)

Thanks for the heads up, Garyhead. I really liked Dodgy Bastards too. Best Span album since Time, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Steeleye Span has released some absolutely crackin' albums over the years. My favorites are probably:
    1. Now We Are Six (1974)
    2. All Around My Hat (1975)
    3. Below The Salt (1972)
    4. Hark! The Village Wait (1970)
    5. A Parcel of Rogues (1973)
    6. Tempted and Tried (1989)
    I don’t think Tempted and Tried was received very well was it? I also love Rocket Cottage and Back In Line which I bought one day after not buying a Steeleye Span for many years and loved it. Hope they come near me again. They always put on a great show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Hope they come near me again. They always put on a great show.
    One of the best live bands I've ever seen...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Just came from the Park Records Website and successfully ordered the new CD - EST'D 1969.

Looking forward to getting it in the mail after I return from the Strawbs 50th Weekend in NJ......Wow....Strawbs / Renaissance & Steeleye Span celebrating 50th Anniversaries this year along with King Crimson........
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I don’t think Tempted and Tried was received very well was it?
    Really good album. Love "Shaking of the Sheets," "The Fox," "Padstow." I saw them at Cropredy right around the time the album was released; Nigel Pegrum had already been replaced by Liam Genockey.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

My order from Park Records arrived today, which of course included the new Steeleye Span album Est. 1969. And...it's a CDR. It's an official Park label release and it's a CDR. Are the margins so freaking tight that they have to issue CDRs instead of CDs? I'm hugely disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    My order from Park Records arrived today, which of course included the new Steeleye Span album Est. 1969. And...it's a CDR. It's an official Park label release and it's a CDR. Are the margins so freaking tight that they have to issue CDRs instead of CDs? I'm hugely disappointed.
    That is really sad.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Speaking of "Dodgy Bastards".
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Here they are doing a song from the new album:

I only know two albums: Stormforce Ten and Bedlam Born, but I think they're both really good records.

I've only given it 3 spins so far.......first impression? Excellent vocals....sounds like all 7 members are singing......They continue to find old stories and put them to music.
    Overall.....it comes off "too Ballad y" no jigs. I cant find too many things that differentiate one song from another. Fiddle seems way down in the compositions.
    The new works over the past 20 years or so had Rick Kemps (bassist) fingerprints all over them....both in composition and bass playing. Now that he has retired, you can notice it missing....Retired Peter Knight is also noticed. I get the feeling Steeleye Span has gone the way of Jethro Tull.....distinct personalities being replaced by automatons......except...the former still has a vocalist that has retained her voice. You can really notice the difference when you play Est'd 1969 against their last album... Dodgy Bastards. I haven't given up on it yet and will continue to spin it.