Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: YES Summer Tour 2019- w/Asia, Carl Palmer & John Lodge

Is it known who's playing drums for Yes? Is Jay Schellen still on board sharing the drums with Alan? In the Alan White interview it sounds like Alan is back full time, including on GoD, is he up for that? I haven't read anywhere about Jay Schellen being on this tour as was mentioned on the last tour

Quote Originally Posted by doneg View Post
    Is it known who's playing drums for Yes? Is Jay Schellen still on board sharing the drums with Alan? In the Alan White interview it sounds like Alan is back full time, including on GoD, is he up for that? I haven't read anywhere about Jay Schellen being on this tour as was mentioned on the last tour
    Both White and Schellen are on this tour. How much each is doing, I don't know. At the most recent dates, in Japan at the beginning of the year, Schellen was still doing most of the set. However, White has been getting better in terms of his back and has talked of doing more. One report suggested White might now be doing the majority.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

So, I understand it's Palmer, then Lodge, then Asia, then Yes.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post

Henry
    That's honestly what I suspected; maybe it was just from the order on the poster. I'm actually really looking forward to this show. "Gates" would just be a cherry on top.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    That's honestly what I suspected; maybe it was just from the order on the poster. I'm actually really looking forward to this show. "Gates" would just be a cherry on top.
    I would've thought it would be easier for Palmer to go from his trio set to Asia without a break, but I'm not a musician or a roadie, so what do I know?

Henry

[QUOTE=bondegezou;907928]I would've thought it would be easier for Palmer to go from his trio set to Asia without a break, but I'm not a musician or a roadie, so what do I

Unless they just push his drums back or to the side

I would also think that changing the stage would be so easy if Lodge was first.
    Last edited by jrw; 06-10-2019 at 10:38 AM.

I always thought that the stage act order was based on merit, or sales, or egos. Easiness of access never did have a great deal to do with it. John Lodge would be higher than Palmer because the Moodies were a bigger band than ELP (cue somebody telling me that I am talking rubbish, and have the stats to prove it��)

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    I wouldn't be able to bear it

my favorite Moody Blues LP is the Present (yeah, I know) and it sucks how he's been marginalized by their corporation
    An absolutely brilliant record, in my opinion.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    An absolutely brilliant record, in my opinion.

Bill
    It is about the only Moodies record I put on these days. There is some fine stuff on there.

Both White and Schellen are on this tour. How much each is doing, I don't know. At the most recent dates, in Japan at the beginning of the year, Schellen was still doing most of the set. However, White has been getting better in terms of his back and has talked of doing more. One report suggested White might now be doing the majority.

Henry
    That's good to hear that Jay is still on board but i'm not sure it will matter, between the Alan White interview and what your saying it sounds like Alan is back to playing the majority of the playing and Jay Schellen is probably along only as a back up if or when needed. I don't mean any disrespect for Alan, he's been one of my favorite drummers for over 40 years, but I'm a little concerned about how 'back to form' he will be, I hope he's ready, especially since it sounds like he's doing the playing on Gates, but I guess we'll be finding out in a couple days. There's nothing I'd like more then to have Alan back to playing the way he used to
    Last edited by doneg; 06-10-2019 at 08:42 PM.

Henry
    Yeah, at this point that's what I'm figuring, unfortunately I'm not able to take any days off of work this week but I'm trying the best I can to at least make it there on time to catch Carl Palmer

I would've thought it would be easier for Palmer to go from his trio set to Asia without a break, but I'm not a musician or a roadie, so what do I know?

Henry
    That was my original thought also, but after thinking about it I figured as good as Carl is playing for his age he is 69yrs old so a break in between his two bands seems more practical, as far as the drum set there's no need to break it down and then set it up again, it's probably on a platform and they just roll it off stage and then back for Asia

A shot of the Asia rehearsals with Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal on lead vocals and Howe on guitar:

Hmm, wonder what's up with the cello and extra set of keys?

Had a chance to swing by the Sands for a few minutes this afternoon, caught John Lodge rehearsing Isn't Life Strange, oh and the cello is part of John's band, which after thinking about it makes sense. Also, although it's been pretty much concluded l did get confirmation that Carl Palmer comes on first.....and one more bit of info that might be a disappointment to some, l was told by someone that was working with the tour that Roger Dean will not be making the first handful of shows, not sure why or exactly when he'll be joining the tour
    Last edited by doneg; 06-11-2019 at 11:03 PM.

Thanks for the info!

Henry

Stopped by the Sands again Tuesday early evening, not much going on at the time, seems everything is quiet, I think they are done for the day, I spoke to some fans that were staying at the Sands Hotel, they managed to catch Yes rehearsing before I made it back but they said it was difficult to hear anything clear enough to know what songs were being played, but they did manage to run into several members of the band while staying at the hotel the past couple days and found out there's 'at least' one more surprise other than the one we already found out about, which they got the impression wasn't supposed to be revealed prior to the shows, but we'll know Wednesday night or Thursday morning......so to anyone who doesn't want to know be careful what you read after tomorrow night and hopefully there are spoiler alerts!

found out there's 'at least' one more surprise other than the one we already found out about, which they got the impression wasn't supposed to be revealed prior to the shows, but we'll know Wednesday night or Thursday morning......so to anyone who doesn't want to know be careful what you read after tomorrow night and hopefully there are spoiler alerts!
    Yeah that’s been out there for a few days now. The Gottlieb Bros tweeted this out:

No spoilers from us except to say that the Yes set list for the Royal Affair summer 2019 tour is an absolute joy. And that surprise number? WOW!!! Hint: it’s something they did from their earliest days, have always done & nobody does better. Not even VF!

And their management put this out there a few days ago:

Rehearsing a song never played live before, in all their 50 + years. Mind-blowing. Ther’ll be socks blown off and not a dry eye in the house. Truly breathtaking and heart-expanding. One of the visitors here has just said “people are gonna flip””

Many fans are thinking this might be a cover of Imagine.
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 06-12-2019 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    ^What is VF?
    It is thought to be a reference to Vanilla Fudge, who played lots of covers in interesting ways, and were an influence on the early Yes.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    ^What is VF?
    I'm pretty sure l know what VF is but I'm not going to be the one to give away any more spoiler information! If it is what I'm thinking you'd have to go back to the 60s, although at the moment l don't recall any song they both did at the time

There is a song I think it could be...it was a live staple in their earliest days.

I'm pretty sure l know what VF is but I'm not going to be the one to give away any more spoiler information! If it is what I'm thinking you'd have to go back to the 60s, although at the moment l don't recall any song they both did at the time
    Oh you beat me to it and already gave it away!

^I understand about spoilers. But the quote said it's something they have played since the earliest days and have always played. If that's the case how much of surprise can it be?

^They haven't 'always done' it (I know that was the original quote rather than you), I doubt it's been in the set for 50 years. Soundchecks, well, who knows.