Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: YES Summer Tour 2019- w/Asia, Carl Palmer & John Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by doneg View Post
    l guess it depends on the reason for ending at 1100pm, is it determined on the bands end or the venue?
    That's normally determined by the venue (or local ordinances affecting the venue).

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

They should call this one THE ANCIENT TOUR
    safe_image.jpg
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I've heard many refer to this lineup of Yes as The Steve Howe Band, there's a point to that and at one time l even said it myself, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad, call it what you want, what matters is you either enjoy it or you don't, I'd rather have this band as it is than no Yes/Steve Howe at all. Also, look at what Steve Hackett is doing, it's not Genesis but its dam good and very enjoyable, so if anyone prefers to call this The Steve Howe Band YES revisited what's difference does it make, call it what you like, they're playing very well and it's enjoyable
    great post, my feelings as well.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    That's normally determined by the venue (or local ordinances affecting the venue).

Henry
    Right. Again, the Saratoga Winery show on July 28 begins at 6 PM, so there might be more room/time to stretch out breaks.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    A live music performance only exists for those experiencing it concurrently in real time. For everyone else the performance can only be experienced as a recording. It might be a recording of a live music performance, but Boston ‘74, Roosevelt Stadium ‘76, Yesshows and official and unofficial recordings from Masterworks and Symphonic are ALSO recordings of live music performances all of which totally blow away the recording from last night IMHO.

that is a seriously pedantic and idiotic answer even from you man

musicians play music

people go or they don't

you won't go because you'd rather not go, OR you accept live music only from recordings

please tell me that you are a time traveller that has seen these past performances

or perhaps you like your live music on DVD? maybe compressed on Youtube?

keep your bias' out of a discussion of the reality of a YES tour in 2019

fucking idiotic

I've heard many refer to this lineup of Yes as The Steve Howe Band, there's a point to that and at one time l even said it myself, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad, call it what you want, what matters is you either enjoy it or you don't, I'd rather have this band as it is than no Yes/Steve Howe at all. Also, look at what Steve Hackett is doing, it's not Genesis but its dam good and very enjoyable, so if anyone prefers to call this The Steve Howe Band YES revisited

thank you for this relevant post based on your observations!!
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post
    Imagine is the most overrated song of all time. Really, Yes? You're playing that Godless communist anthem? Maybe I'll pass on this tour.
    What's with this poster and his retrograde comments all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
    What's with this poster and his retrograde comments all the time?
    If I passed on every band's show because they played one song I wasn't very enamored of I'd never leave the house.

Gates sounded very good, especially from an audience recorded You Tube vid. Steve's fingers still fly around the fretboard and Geoff did a good job too. I think anything lacking was down to the recording rather than the bands performance, it was probably better if you were there in person as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Gates sounded very good, especially from an audience recorded You Tube vid. Steve's fingers still fly around the fretboard and Geoff did a good job too. I think anything lacking was down to the recording rather than the bands performance, it was probably better if you were there in person as always.
    I was there and I can say it was better being there in person but only for the obvious reasons of it being live, but this video unlike the majority of concert videos, it really does it justice. I gave a very brief and limited reply yesterday on how l felt about Gates since I was there and l summed it up by saying the video speaks for itself, the video is that good that there really isn't much more l can add to describe the performance of the song, it's all there in the video.As far as my personal opinion, as l mentioned earlier, it's not 75-76 or 2000-2001 but it's pretty dam good, l mean 18 years ago l never would have believed I'd be seeing this song being performed in 2019 and done respectively as were all the songs that night

SPOILER Alert....if you haven't seen the setlist.

There hasn't been much or any discussion of the opening song No Opportunity ....I guess that's the song they were referring to that they haven't done in almost 50 yrs...? I thought it was a good opening song, a real surprise and treat, l especially liked Jay doing the Bruford part on drums

Speaking of Jay on drums the one surprise, and disappointment of the show was realizing Alan isn't, as previously thought, back to playing the majority of the show. But really there isn't anyone better to fill in for Alan than Jay, he's doing an excellent job

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post

musicians play music

people go or they don't

you won't go because you'd rather not go, OR you accept live music only from recordings

please tell me that you are a time traveller that has seen these past performances

fucking idiotic

Pedantic means "like a pedant," someone who's too concerned with literal accuracy or formality. It's a negative term that implies someone is showing off book learning or trivia, especially in a tiresome way.

If i may say so, I believe what Frumious B is saying is a fairly true statement even if it is based on his opinion. I don't see anywhere that he is endorsing anyone else to not go see the 2019 version of Yes. I have many mixed feelings about this (version of Yes) that are unrelated to whether I attend the concert or not, but i do agree that the (recordings of) those other shows he mentioned were in my opinion, as I believe in his opinion also, were more enjoyable to me.
    To state that it is idiotic really belittles the true meaning of stating an opinion in this forum, which i thought was why we are here in the first place.

If Frumious Bandersnatch's standard for seeing the current band is that it be up to the standards set by the band in it's prime, it's a fool's errand.

In which case, why bother? It's a given that the band in 2019 is not at the same level as their peak. Rather than trash the band for falling short of unrealistic expectations, just opt out and leave those who opt in to enjoy the shows on their own terms.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    If Frumious Bandersnatch's standard for seeing the current band is that it be up to the standards set by the band in it's prime, it's a fool's errand.

In which case, why bother? It's a given that the band in 2019 is not at the same level as their peak. Rather than trash the band for falling short of unrealistic expectations, just opt out and leave those who opt in to enjoy the shows on their own terms.
    Agreed. I would rather have this Yes than no Yes. Some people have been whinging non stop since 2008 and cant let it go. Surely there must be something more productive to do.

As long as the performance is not suffering by bad playing, I don't care what they call themselves, Steve Howe Band, Yes Tribute featuring Jon Davison, Sherwood's Yes, Yes featuring keyboard wizard Geoff Downes or the Band formerly known as the Alan White Men of Yes Band..when we saw them on tour last fall they were kicking butt, and sounded great. Performances were well done and professional and played with heart and soul
    It just comes down to whether Yes still does it for you, if not then move on.
    I am guilty of criticizing their selection and performance of Imagine, but overall I love what they're still doing and playing songs that were rarely done live .

Would I prefer having Jon Anderson with them, yes, but I think if JOn was back with them, there would be disagreements about the setlists, and we wouldn't be getting some of these new performances of wonderful Yes songs.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Rather than trash the band for falling short of unrealistic expectations, just opt out and leave those who opt in to enjoy the shows on their own terms.
    This is where I'm at. The last Yes show I saw that was excellent was in 2002. After that I personally saw/felt a decline (which is perfectly natural as musicians age). But if others don't, great! I happily give up my seat to allow someone who will be more appreciative to enjoy the show. I got my shows, now it's other people's turns. I'm sorry that youngsters/newcomers can't see the same band that I saw, but they can at least see this, and that's better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    As long as the performance is not suffering by bad playing, I don't care what they call themselves
    Also agreed. I don't begrudge these guys for getting out there and earning their livings. I am not one of those people who feels a band 'tarnishes' their legacy. It's just a name, it's not that important. Close To The Edge is never going to be ruined.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post

musicians play music

people go or they don't

fucking idiotic

It’s great music. Some of the best ever as far as I’m concerned. No, I didn’t see Yes in the 70s, but I saw 15 shows from ‘88 through ‘14, saw ARW in ‘16 and even saw the 50th anniversary show last year. The only show out of all those that I truly thought was outright bad was 2011 with Benoit doing his best Peter Brady. But increasingly it is just the great music that carries the day, not the performances or the middling/mediocre performers, show tune singing etc..

Yes used to be a band that had a legitimate freaking wizard in every slot. Now the only wizard you really get is Steve Howe, but if you want to hear this music live and that’s your focus then there’s really only one game around. I’m much more of a record guy at heart as records can bring you joy for decades while concerts are crazy expensive, unreliable and one drunk in the row behind you can wreck your evening. Steve Howe might be 72 now, but on Relayer he will always be 25. I’d be interested in a record that tells me something about where Howe stands as an artist at 72. Ultimately I get way more mileage out of something like Nexus and 1000 Hands than I would out of going to this show. I got the new Springsteen record yesterday. It’s nice. Would I go to his show? Maybe, but not necessarily.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Just that last track on 1,000 Hands, “Now And Again” with Anderson and Howe on it means more to me and says more to me than a dozen concert tickets and a hundred YouTubes videos would.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I do find it rich how "fans" who cannot "perform" like they did 50 years ago slag artists for the same thing.

Where's that mirror emoji?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I do find it rich how "fans" who cannot "perform" like they did 50 years ago slag artists for the same thing.
    I blame it on the little blue pill.

You're playing that Godless communist anthem?
    that Godless communist anthem?
    Godless communist anthem?
    Godless communist?
    Godless?
    communist?
    Yes.

And Yes Yet again. It's the Godless Communist Tour, Commun' to Cumwhere You Live, all Live no overdubs.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

For anyone wondering how the new Asia lineup was here's another video from the same person that got Gates. I was at this show and prior to the show I was skeptical but after seeing them I thought it went over very well, I thought the new singer was a good fit, at times he even sounded a bit like John Wetton. Also, is it my ears or did I hear a slight misstep by Carl at about 1:30? Soon after Steve looks up at Carl https://youtu.be/yYbi4XkHz_E

And a second Asia clip from Bethlehem,PA 6/12/19 https://youtu.be/w2I8rUURnsE

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yes.

And Yes Yet again. It's the Godless Communist Tour, Commun' to Cumwhere You Live, all Live no overdubs.
    Well, that’s what the song is. It’s simply an accurate description. I’m disappointed Yes is playing jt, but I might still see the show in Baltimore because at this point every opportunity to see old bands like Yes can be the last one.

But what a waste of a valuable spot in the set list. Oh, well.

A video of Asia from the first show - sounds good - except for a bit of confusion happening at the 2:05 mark