Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: YES Summer Tour 2019- w/Asia, Carl Palmer & John Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    A video of Asia from the first show - sounds good - except for a bit of confusion happening at the 2:05 mark

Yeah, I posted Soul Survivor from this show a few posts back and mentioned a possible slight misstep, but then I watched this and there was no doubt, not sure what exactly happened but I'm thinking Carl is a bit tired from his previous set...?

After watching it a few more times i'm not sure, everything almost stops and Carl looks over at Geoff.....any opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post
    But what a waste of a valuable spot in the set list. Oh, well.
    That's the problem. A boring song as part of the encore of a 1 hour and 45 minute set.

Geoff went into the wrong keyboard part, so Steve and Carl changed up to play along with Geoff.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

I am impressed with the Asia clips. This "Bumblefoot" character is the real deal; he does a very good job on what would be pretty difficult material I would guess for many rock singers.

Imagine came up next on YT right after the Asia tracks and it was a nice arrangement. Hardly necessary and I wouldn't miss it if it was gone but still, a nice communist godless anthem as far as those go .

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    Geoff went into the wrong keyboard part, so Steve and Carl changed up to play along with Geoff.
    Ok, yeah, I hear it now, I keep watching that part and it's hilarious watching Carls reaction, and then a bit after that Geoff peaks over his shoulder as if he's checking to see if anyone noticed. Hey, all I can say is regardless they're all doing a great job as far as i'm concerned

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    I think Geoff is the only one playing it right. The synth riff is supposed to happen there, with the band dropping out and Carl doing the cowbell. Instead it looks like Carl is driving right into the chorus.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    I think Geoff is the only one playing it right. The synth riff is supposed to happen there, with the band dropping out and Carl doing the cowbell. Instead it looks like Carl is driving right into the chorus.
    Yeah, I think this is it. Steve is okay too, as he's doing the quarter-note staccato chords he's supposed to do during the cowbell part. However, Carl is crunching away on the snare, and he looks at Geoff in confusion. Meanwhile Steve is looking at him like, "Um, Carl?" Carl stops at the next measure, shakes his head a bit, then does a tom-tom fill to try to salvage his mistake in an "I meant to do that" way.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

l consider myself to have a pretty good ear, however not being a musician l sometimes second guess myself, but in my original post on this what your saying was my first thought, it seemed like Carl lost his attention for a moment and was just driving ahead....
    But what do l know.....

Well, that’s what the song is. It’s simply an accurate description.
    It's not. Regardless of how many times you say it. You've been proven wrong in this very thread. Give it up, already.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    A video of Asia from the first show - sounds good - except for a bit of confusion happening at the 2:05 mark
    I'm very impressed with Bumblefoot. He does have a couple moments where he channels Wetton, without being a clone. I'd be interested in hearing more from this lineup - an album, another tour with a wider setlist, etc. I don't know if Howe would be willing to get back into the band, but it's cool to see these guys playing together again.

Howe gets a lot of flack from the Anderson sycophants, but it's obvious that he can do right by former bandmates if they're not....well, whatever. I'm not going to change anyone's mind, here.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Yeah, I think this is it. Steve is okay too, as he's doing the quarter-note staccato chords he's supposed to do during the cowbell part. However, Carl is crunching away on the snare, and he looks at Geoff in confusion. Meanwhile Steve is looking at him like, "Um, Carl?" Carl stops at the next measure, shakes his head a bit, then does a tom-tom fill to try to salvage his mistake in an "I meant to do that" way.
    Yep. Agreed on both points.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

FYI. (from WikipediA) Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal
    In August 2017, he joined a progressive metal supergroup named Sons of Apollo with bassist Billy Sheehan, keyboardist Derek Sherinian, vocalist Jeff Scott Soto and drummer Mike Portnoy.[73] To date, they have released one album, entitled Psychotic Symphony.

On 2 April 2019, it was announced that Thal had joined Asia as lead vocalist and guitarist and that he would debut as part of the band's touring lineup in tribute to John Wetton during "The Royal Affair Tour

^ Portnoy was at the opening night of the tour to cheer his band mate on.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I was skeptical at first about this Asia lineup and Thai as frontman, but from the video I thought Asia sounds really good.
    Who can replace John Wetton? answer: no one, but I think Thai does a great job and his vocals fit well with the Asia lineage.
    He came out a bit pitchy those first few seconds but settled in and sounds great.
    I'm impressed and would be happy to attend an Asia concert.

This tour is coming to Clearwater on the 12th of July but we're going to ELO on the 7th and at my age it takes longer to regenerate after a long concert. Plus we're both on fixed income these days and we have to budget our concert going for the year.
    As it's been said by attendees, it's a long evening, but I've never seen the Moody Blues or John Lodge or Asia, so that would be fun to see.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I was skeptical at first about this Asia lineup and Thai as frontman, but from the video I thought Asia sounds really good.
    Who can replace John Wetton? answer: no one, but I think Thai does a great job and his vocals fit well with the Asia lineage.
    He came out a bit pitchy those first few seconds but settled in and sounds great.
    I'm impressed and would be happy to attend an Asia concert.
    Agree.. didn't know what to expect when this was announced.. but he fits in well..

Ron Thall (Bumblefoot) has sat in with the Band Geeks crew (aka Richie Castellano of Blue Oyster Cult) on a few of their YT videos. Here's "Sgt. Pepper's" (the entire album).

Last edited by Paulrus; 06-16-2019 at 12:45 PM.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Ron Thall (Bumblefoot) has sat in with the Band Geeks crew (aka Richie Castellano of Blue Oyster Cult) on a few of their YT videos. Here's "Sgt. Pepper's" (the entire album).

That was excellent! thank you.
    I love the Band Geeks. Super talented people! I remember someone posted Tom Brislin playing with them, and again they were awesome!
    Last edited by Top Cat; 06-16-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Well, that’s what the song is. It’s simply an accurate description. I’m disappointed Yes is playing jt, but I might still see the show in Baltimore because at this point every opportunity to see old bands like Yes can be the last one.

But what a waste of a valuable spot in the set list. Oh, well.
    It can be hard to understand lyrics. Don’t let that stop you from repeating the same thing again and again, though.

Maybe I'll pass on this tour.
    I might still see the show in Baltimore
    I gotta tell ya, I'm on the edge of my seat here.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Not sure if I have seen it mentioned but Bumblefoot was also a member of Guns & Roses for quite a while. He plays much of the guitar on the "Chinese Democracy" album and toured with them for several years:

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    It can be hard to understand lyrics. Don’t let that stop you from repeating the same thing again and again, though.
    No problem, brother. I don’t fear speaking my mind, especially when I’m obviously right. But feel free to keep it going by continuously bumping a throwaway comment. What a waste of a valuable set list spot!

Just got comps for Saturday's show.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Another version of Gates.....different night.

Looks like Alan decided the extra percussion was unnecessary and stayed out of the fray until Soon.

And here's America...

Siberian K...
    Last edited by Sean; 06-17-2019 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Another version of Gates.....different night.

Looks like Alan decided the extra percussion was unnecessary and stayed out of the fray until Soon.

And here's America...

Siberian K...
    I saw people commenting on FB how the tempo was slower than the first night.. Camera work was better on the first night..haha I'm just happy to see them playing this again.. Looking forward to catching them in Cary N.C. in July..

Does anyone have a sense of whether more dates will be added to this tour? Its turning out to be more interesting that the average summer Yestival... thanks in advance for any insight here!