Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: YES Summer Tour 2019- w/Asia, Carl Palmer & John Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post
    Imagine is the most overrated song of all time. Really, Yes? You're playing that Godless communist anthem? Maybe I'll pass on this tour.
    Yeah but it might make you happy to know they balance it out by doing America

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    After reading your comment, I had to find out if I had been missing something in the lyrics which would cause the Godless communist anthem comment, and I thought I'd post them here to refreshen our memory of what I consider a beautiful song about mankind living in peace..
    it's hardly Godless in my opinion. It's possible to believe in God and not subscribe in the belief system of one religion, and many Eastern religions such as Zen Buddhism believe there is one state of mind, neither heaven or hell.
    But I want to adhere to the rules of this forum and not discuss religion in this thread, but personally wanted to voice my opinion in response to the Communist comment.
    It's ok to not like the song or even John Lennon and his political beliefs, but I thought that comment was a bit overboard.
    I don't understand why someone who thinks "Imagine" is a "Godless communist anthem" was intending to see a Yes show given the band's lyrics broadly come from a similar place.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Imagine is the most overrated song of all time. Really, Yes? You're playing that Godless communist anthem? Maybe I'll pass on this tour.

lol

thanks for chiming in and who gives a fuck
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I don't understand why someone who thinks "Imagine" is a "Godless communist anthem" was intending to see a Yes show given the band's lyrics broadly come from a similar place.

Henry
    l was kind of wondering the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    lol

thanks for chiming in and who gives a fuck
    , now can we get this thread back on track!

Quote Originally Posted by doneg View Post

indeed!

I'm going to the Holmdel show this saturday, will head into the arena for all 4 acts for sure. we were offered $20 upgrades from our 300 level seats (I opted for cheapies as I usually do when there's a multi-act / shorter set summer bill) to 13th row center Steve side. not sure how that bodes for overall sales. it would seem that YES is a firm 2,000-4,000 seat act moving forward

sneaked a peek at the setlist. I usually don't, but there was some interesting scuttlebutt this time. so I looked. totally inspired for a summer shed set, didn't have to be as varied as it is. kudos indeed

now I am really looking forward to the YES proper tour later in the year!
    2trevorsforlife

Ugh!

News Flash! John believed in god. He didn't like what organized religion had become. Read the lyrics again and see if it's about the existence of god or the manipulation of it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm hoping to make the Cary, NC show. I'm a fan of all bands involved, but especially Yes, and hearing that they are doing "Gates..." has made me seriously consider this...Hmmm...
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by doneg View Post
    Allow me I'm glad the setlist was posted, l was hoping to post a mini review after the show last night but it was a late night and I needed to be up very early for work, l don't have a lot of time now either but will post comments about the show when l can, but briefly, l thought all four bands were excellent, l thought John Lodge was much better than what I was expecting, l thought the new Asia line up went over very well, , Steve played with the band for at least half the set, oh and Carl Palmer with Arthur Brown was interesting, they played exactly 30 minutes, Arthur is a real character!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Wow, for a camera recording that sounds nice. Davison is excellent and Sherwood is solid. Why does my show have to be the last one on the tour?
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

now I am really looking forward to the YES proper tour later in the year!
    I don't think there will be another Yes tour this year.

Henry

Gates is my favorite Yes performance from all players/positions, including Jon Anderson's vocal edge

as I am a pragmatist in June of 2019, I can accept what is offered and can say that JonD's lack of 'edge' may be revealed at the most on this selection. I trust that Geoff and Billy will do great as well. somewhat underrated and besmirched

eternally grateful to have seen the Masterworks versions

I am stoked
    2trevorsforlife

I don't think there will be another Yes tour this year.

Henry

'next' tour proper implied
    2trevorsforlife

'next' tour proper implied
    Sure. Yes, I imagine there will be a 2020 North American tour without support.

Henry

Given how they butchered Close To The Edge last year this actually sounds pretty damned good.

Mildly impressed.
    The Prog Corner

Sure. Yes, I imagine there will be a 2020 North American tour without support.

Henry

it could very well stand as a cap of sorts for the 'Full LP Show' runs. if they don't do 'Relayer' do we assume those are over (???)

it's exciting to see how every tour offers a chance to air varied material from a transporting POV. love it

now we watch Steve's attitudes and heath moving forward. it looks great so far
    Last edited by helix; 06-13-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    2trevorsforlife

Hopefully we'll get Gates and maybe the whole of Relayer in the UK next year

Here's all of Gates
    Last edited by Sean; 06-13-2019 at 12:13 PM.

and Imagine:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    and Imagine:

why, oh why why why?
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    RE: Gates. That was a treat, even if by YouTube!

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    why, oh why why why?
    Can you elaborate on what you don't like about this?

I thought that was pretty solid, especially for the first show of the tour. I enjoyed Imagine too, however they should have Yes-ified it a bit more.

Bill
    Last edited by Adm.Kirk; 06-13-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Can you elaborate on what you don't like about this?
    Yes..
    While the original song itself is no toe tapper, this just seems to drag on and on and I just don't understand why they chose this song other than the fact Alan played on it for John.
    The thing I always loved about Yes' version of America, they made it their own, they Yesified it. This version reminded me of a wedding band(and I apologize for being so blunt).
    I love what Yes is doing these days in their shows, stretching themselves,Gates sounds awesome, but even Geoff's piano playing sounded off on this song.

Maybe a duet with just Jon D and Geoff would work better, but this just didn't work me me.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457