Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 313

Thread: YES Summer Tour 2019- w/Asia, Carl Palmer & John Lodge

  1. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Regarding Asia, as much as I like John Payne's time with Asia, I think most people (other than this forum) associate Asia with the John Wetton era and vocals, while JP's time with Asia was quite a bit different sounding, at least to me.
    I think John Wetton's vocals were so much an integral part of the Asia sound, trying to get anyone to fill that role is near impossible.
    But I thought that at first about Kansas and Ronnie Platt, and was thankfully proven wrong. I have really grown to like Ronnie's vocals and stage presence with Kansas.
    According to the announcement, Bumblefoot will be on lead vocals.

    www.yesworld.com

  2. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,308
    Bumblefoot is in Asia!!!

    Yestival hits Columbus on July 5th!!!

    Great news.
    Prog's Not Dead

  3. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    958



    Look for YES to perform songs from throughout their storied career, one of rock music’s most prized bodies of work, and their set will honor the memory of YES members Chris Squire and Peter Banks.

    • Asia will play their signature songs and pay tribute to their late founding member John Wetton. A portion of their set will feature original guitarist Steve Howe in a special performance. Asia will also introduce its new line-up featuring guitarist/lead vocalist Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal and bassist Billy Sherwood.

    • John Lodge’s set will encompass his classic hits by Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees The Moody Blues and pay tribute to the band’s recently departed member Ray Thomas.

    • Carl Palmer will honor the memory of his fellow Emerson, Lake and Palmer members Keith Emerson and Greg Lake, with vocals by British vocalist Arthur Brown.

    • As part of the evening’s British theme, there will be Alan White of YES’ tribute to John Lennon; White was the drummer on Lennon’s solo material including the recording of “Imagine.”

  4. #29
    Progdog ThomasKDye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vallejo, CA
    Posts
    583
    Curious as heck; can anyone point me to an example of Ron Thal's best singing?

    EDIT: Found this. Not bad. He could pull this off.

    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

  5. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    138
    Having Bumblefoot on vocals as well makes things way more interesting on the Asia side. I like the combination of elements on this tour, though given what we know about it perhaps it should be called the Requiem Tour instead of the Royal Tour.

  6. #31
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Curious as heck; can anyone point me to an example of Ron Thal's best singing?

    EDIT: Found this. Not bad. He could pull this off.
    I just found one of him doing a song of his called Argentina and I thought he sounds great.

    Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen View Post
    Having Bumblefoot on vocals as well makes things way more interesting on the Asia side. I like the combination of elements on this tour, though given what we know about it perhaps it should be called the Requiem Tour instead of the Royal Tour.
    Requiem, perfect!!

    No brainer for me about seeing the tour, we already have advanced tickets to see Jeff Lynne's ELO on July 7th which is the same day they'll be in Clearwater, FL.
    Oh well, at least we saw the whole Yes show last fall.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  7. #32
    I honestly thought this ‘Bumblefoot in Asia’ news was an April Fools prank
    2trevorsforlife

  8. #33
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,596
    Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    I honestly thought this ‘Bumblefoot in Asia’ news was an April Fools prank
    I didn't know what it was, but figured it had to be poetic justice.

  9. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,018
    Hmm..being in the UK we only get to see them every other year it seems. Personally I wouldn't like to see all these support acts anyway and surely this reduces Yes's actual set playing time. Does anyone really know why they do these package tours in the US? Is it because Yes couldn't attract a big enough crowd on their own and the promoters think this is the best way to do it? Perhaps Yes can only play shorter sets nowadays although when I saw them here a year ago they played just under 2 hours if I remember right. More performers on stage means more wages though - I guess its all a balancing act?

    Also, where is the info confirming who is in Asia?

  10. #35
    Member Paulrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Left Coast
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen View Post
    ...given what we know about it perhaps it should be called the Requiem Tour instead of the Royal Tour.
    LOL, my thoughts exactly! "Whoo! Let's celebrate all the people who have recently died! Party on, people!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Does anyone really know why they do these package tours in the US? Is it because Yes couldn't attract a big enough crowd on their own and the promoters think this is the best way to do it?
    Pretty much. The summer tour season is often called "shed season" because the shows often take place in outdoor amphitheaters where you tend to get more of the casual music fan who is half interested in the band on stage and half interested in chatting with the friends they went to the show with. So the thinking is you need to cast a wider net to move tickets.

    And it will mean a reduced set time for Yes, although these shows usually start earlier, like 7 PM as I recall. Yes will probably play 1.5 hours.
    Last edited by Paulrus; 04-02-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Hmm..being in the UK we only get to see them every other year it seems. Personally I wouldn't like to see all these support acts anyway and surely this reduces Yes's actual set playing time. Does anyone really know why they do these package tours in the US? Is it because Yes couldn't attract a big enough crowd on their own and the promoters think this is the best way to do it? Perhaps Yes can only play shorter sets nowadays although when I saw them here a year ago they played just under 2 hours if I remember right. More performers on stage means more wages though - I guess its all a balancing act?

    Also, where is the info confirming who is in Asia?
    Asia just confirmed of all these details in a lengthy post on their Facebook page.

  12. #37
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Also, where is the info confirming who is in Asia?
    http://www.yesworld.com/2019/04/yes-...-bethlehem-pa/
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  13. #38
    Presale codes appreciated... providence

  14. #39
    Moderator Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,428
    Yes' Royal Affair Tour 2019 North American Dates
    6/12 – Bethlehem, PA, Bethlehem Event Center
    6/14 – Farmingdale, NY, Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater
    6/15 – Atlantic City, NJ, Hard Rock Live at Etess Arena
    6/16 – Holmdel, NJ, PNC Bank Arts Center
    6/20 – Westchester, NY, Westchester County Center
    6/21 – Pittsburgh, PA, Stage AE
    6/22 – Baltimore, MD, MECU Pavillion
    6/24 – Toronto, ON, Budweiser Stage
    6/25 – Lewiston, NY, Artpark Amphitheater
    6/27 – Bethel, NY, Bethel Woods Center for the Arts
    6/29 – Gilford, NH, Bank of NH Pavilion
    6/30 – Providence, RI, Bold Point Park
    7/3 – Rochester Hills, MI, Meadow Brook Amphitheatre
    7/5 – Columbus, OH, Express Live
    7/6 – Aurora, IL, RiverEdge Park
    7/8 – Nashville, TN, Grand Ole Opry House
    7/10 – Cary, NC, Koka Booth Amphitheatre at Regency Park
    7/12 – Clearwater, FL, Ruth Eckerd Hall
    7/13 – Hollywood, FL, Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
    7/18 – St Augustine, FL, St. Augustine Amphitheatre
    7/20 – Irving, TX, Toyota Music Factory
    7/21 – Rogers, AR, Walmart AMP
    7/24 – Phoenix, AZ, Comerica Theatre
    7/26 – Las Vegas, NV, the Joint At Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
    7/27 – Irvine, CA, FivePoints Amphitheatre
    7/28 – Saratoga, CA, the Mountain Winery

  15. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    958

  16. #41
    PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Holly Springs, GA
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post



    Look for YES to perform songs from throughout their storied career, one of rock music’s most prized bodies of work, and their set will honor the memory of YES members Chris Squire and Peter Banks.

    • Asia will play their signature songs and pay tribute to their late founding member John Wetton. A portion of their set will feature original guitarist Steve Howe in a special performance. Asia will also introduce its new line-up featuring guitarist/lead vocalist Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal and bassist Billy Sherwood.

    • John Lodge’s set will encompass his classic hits by Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees The Moody Blues and pay tribute to the band’s recently departed member Ray Thomas.

    • Carl Palmer will honor the memory of his fellow Emerson, Lake and Palmer members Keith Emerson and Greg Lake, with vocals by British vocalist Arthur Brown.

    • As part of the evening’s British theme, there will be Alan White of YES’ tribute to John Lennon; White was the drummer on Lennon’s solo material including the recording of “Imagine.”
    I knew that was Pierre Robert! Is Arthur Brown there to do Fire?

  17. #42
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    Since when did Pierre Robert become such a huge fan of prog? He's always a Grateful Dead and CSNY fanboy not so much of a prog fan.
    maybe he "matured"...
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  18. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    Since when did Pierre Robert become such a huge fan of prog? He's always a Grateful Dead and CSNY fanboy not so much of a prog fan.
    CSN's biggest hit is proggy.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  19. #44
    Member Paulrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Left Coast
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    Yes and the Dead are proggy too. I should have said big P Prog Fan. Robert as much as anyone is open to all kinds of rock and beyond.
    LOL, this takes me back to when I was 19 and enrolled in a "Rock Band" course at a local junior college. At one point one of the faculty approached me and said, "Hey, Paul. Mike (a guitar player who was also in the course) said he's interested in maybe putting a group together with you. Apparently he loves prog rock as well." "Great!" I said.

    So Mike and I arranged to meet soon after at one of the practice rooms. I show up with my bass and he shows up with his guitar. He then pulls some music out ("I brought some stuff I've been working on..."), which I thought was a great way to start. Until he said, "I've sent some of my music to Jerry Garcia. He thinks it's great. I just love the Dead."

    That was Mike's and my one short, meeting. I almost went straight to the faculty guy to have a discussion about what I considered "prog rock."
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

  20. #45
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    LOL, this takes me back to when I was 19 and enrolled in a "Rock Band" course at a local junior college. At one point one of the faculty approached me and said, "Hey, Paul. Mike (a guitar player who was also in the course) said he's interested in maybe putting a group together with you. Apparently he loves prog rock as well." "Great!" I said.

    So Mike and I arranged to meet soon after at one of the practice rooms. I show up with my bass and he shows up with his guitar. He then pulls some music out ("I brought some stuff I've been working on..."), which I thought was a great way to start. Until he said, "I've sent some of my music to Jerry Garcia. He thinks it's great. I just love the Dead."

    That was Mike's and my one short, meeting. I almost went straight to the faculty guy to have a discussion about what I considered "prog rock."
    great story..
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  21. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    958
    This is some info on the Carl Palmer portion of this extravaganza:

    Compelling live show will feature custom made films, and cutting-edge performances that will honor the musical legacy of ELP. Acclaimed bassist
    David Pastorius to fill in for Simon Fitzpatrick for tour.

    Carl Palmer, among the most renowned drummers in rock history and a founding member of both ELP and ASIA, has been asked to appear on the much anticipated 2019 ROYAL AFFAIR tour, at the request of headliners, YES. Palmer and his group will perform at all the shows on the tour in United States and Canada. Joining Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy for this tour will be legendary British vocalist Arthur Brown. Brown, and a then-18 year old Carl Palmer, worked together in THE CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN, scoring a #1 album and single in 1968. In addition to singing some of ELP's best-loved classics, Brown with Palmer's band will be performing his iconic hit, "Fire," in the show.
    Touring with this band since 2001, Palmer presents a musical celebration of the groundbreaking progressive rock group, ELP. The tour will further promoter Palmer's latest CD/DVD release: CARL PALMER'S ELP LEGACY LIVE, as well as the successful re-launch of the entire Emerson Lake & Palmer catalog, both through BMG Music Worldwide.
    We are all very excited to do this historic British Prog Rock tour at the request of our friends, YES, " says Palmer. "The band is running on all cylinders and has never sounded better."
    Palmer adds: "Reuniting with Arthur Brown will be a very special treat for both myself and my audience. Arthur still is one of the most electrifying performers on the scene and he sounds as good today as he did when we both worked together in The Crazy World.
    While on the tour, Palmer will also continue to promote his acclaimed artwork, created with the LA-based Scene Four. The three Palmer art collections consist of signed and numbered prints of stunning visual images constructed by capturing rhythm via light and digital technology. They combine motion, color, and lighting into some of the most compelling fine art visuals ever created. View the Palmer art collections at www.CarlPalmerArt.com.
    As with his previous solo tours, Palmer will present bold, new arrangements of the best-loved instrumental music of ELP, and other composers. A multimedia experience combining music and video projection, the show promises to be among the most musically compelling tours of the year. Carl Palmer ELP Legacy is a red-hot power trio that features Palmer on drums and percussion, guitarist Paul Bielatowicz and bassist Simon Fitzpatrick. Famed bassist David Pastorius (nephew of bass legend Jaco Pastorius) will be filling in for Fitzpatrick, who will remain in London awaiting the birth of his first child.

  22. #47
    ^^ Well, that's quite a press release. Does he walk on water at the end of the show, too?
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  23. #48
    Wait, so Palmer leads an ELP tribute band without a keyboard player? Huh? How does that work?

  24. #49
    Member SunshipVoyager1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Philadelphia 'burbs
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post
    Wait, so Palmer leads an ELP tribute band without a keyboard player? Huh? How does that work?


    Surprisingly well (assuming you don't want a note for note recreation/recital of the original pieces)

    Honestly, as a drummer, I'm just there to see Carl play anyway. Having seen ELP live multiple times and having heard the albums countless times, I am cool just watching three guys playing well. And frankly, Carl is one of the few of this group of musicians who hasn't lost more than a few steps with age...
    Last edited by SunshipVoyager1976; 04-02-2019 at 09:19 PM.

  25. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post
    Wait, so Palmer leads an ELP tribute band without a keyboard player? Huh? How does that work?
    I saw them a few years ago. The bassist and guitarist cover the parts in various ways. Often the bassist used tapping to play melodies with one hand and simple bass lines with the other, while the guitarist played chords.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •