Thread: The Far Meadow

The Far Meadow

Sorry if this thread already exists.... I couldn’t find one. At the suggestion of someone else on this board, I listened to the second release, “Given the Impossible”, this weekend. How did I miss this great group??? I’m surprised I didn’t find any thread about them or this release! This group is fantastic!!! Anyone who likes Magenta, Yes, Renaissance and the like will love what they hear! One of the tightest bands I’ve heard in a long time....and no guitar shredding! Which I’m not a fan of (except for SW)....Plus they have a new album coming out in 2 weeks!!!! Any other fans here?
    So much music....so little time....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Sorry if this thread already exists.... I couldn’t find one. At the suggestion of someone else on this board, I listened to the second release, “Given the Impossible”, this weekend. How did I miss this great group??? I’m surprised I didn’t find any thread about them or this release! This group is fantastic!!! Anyone who likes Magenta, Yes, Renaissance and the like will love what they hear! One of the tightest bands I’ve heard in a long time....and no guitar shredding! Which I’m not a fan of (except for SW)....Plus they have a new album coming out in 2 weeks!!!! Any other fans here?
    I like 'Given The Impossible'; a great album indeed. I didn't hear their new album yet.

I bought the 3rd album from Bandcamp, but have yet to get a chance to listen to it. The track they had up prior to release was sublime, imo.

I've just started listening to them. So far, so good.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I bought the 3rd album from Bandcamp, but have yet to get a chance to listen to it. The track they had up prior to release was sublime, imo.
    Not released until April 12th. I've got it in my wish list on bandcamp.

^ OK. It's showing as purchased or in my collection on Bandcamp. I couldn't find it with a quick look last night, so that might explain why.

I actually don't mind this new song from the upcoming album. I haven't listened to very much symphonic prog lately, as to my ears most newer stuff has ranged from been there, done that and done better, to downright trite and embarrassing, twinkly ding-dong prog (copyright Mr. Toad!), but this one seems well-done and has a very inviting quality to it.

neil

Just finished a first listen of Foreign Land. Very, very impressed. These guys can play, and the female vocals are top notch. Love the busy drumming that does so much more than just keeping the beat. (Happens less than you would expect in post-70s Prog-Rock.) However, it's the songwriting that sets them above and apart from other Symphonic prog of today's scene. 5 songs, 2 over 10 minutes. All of them have a different feel and approach from the others to some degree. My fave is the title track. Lovely, varied song, that one. It's not groundbreaking, nor is it truly Retro. If you like Genesis, Renaissance and Camel, you'll find something here, even though it never sounds just like any of those bands. They're driving in the same general lane, though, and probably doing it better than any other current band. I also have their 2nd album, so will be able to form an even broader opinion soon. At this point though, this is one of my best finds of the last couple years, and if you only buy one Symphonic Prog album this year, this one would be an excellent candidate.

Just finished a first listen of Foreign Land. Very, very impressed. These guys can play, and the female vocals are top notch. Love the busy drumming that does so much more than just keeping the beat. (Happens less than you would expect in post-70s Prog-Rock.) However, it's the songwriting that sets them above and apart from other Symphonic prog of today's scene. 5 songs, 2 over 10 minutes. All of them have a different feel and approach from the others to some degree. My fave is the title track. Lovely, varied song, that one. It's not groundbreaking, nor is it truly Retro. If you like Genesis, Renaissance and Camel, you'll find something here, even though it never sounds just like any of those bands. They're driving in the same general lane, though, and probably doing it better than any other current band. I also have their 2nd album, so will be able to form an even broader opinion soon. At this point though, this is one of my best finds of the last couple years, and if you only buy one Symphonic Prog album this year, this one would be an excellent candidate.
    Cool, thank you for the insights. You haven’t steered me wrong yet, since you recommended the Mr. Sirius stuff a while back and that was a home run with me. I’ll check this one out for sure.

I am just listening to their latest album "Foreign Land" and I am very impressed. It almost sounds as if it was recorded back in the early seventies. The vocals are very engaging and the music keeps moving along. I don't care much for so called neo-prog, this is more imaginative then that. Very tasty music.

I actually dig "Mud" the most. I love punchy, concise prog at least as much as the extended stuff. But yeah, it's a strong one overall. Really, Bad Elephant Music have released several "year's best" albums this year.