Thread: Alan Parsons: New, In-Depth Interview on Innerviews

Alan Parsons: New, In-Depth Interview on Innerviews

Hi Everyone,

Innerviews just published a new, in-depth interview with Alan Parsons, the renowned producer and engineer, as well as co-founder of The Alan Parsons Project. Parsons' production and engineering work is the stuff of legend. His unique approach to meticulously capturing warmth, detail, clarity, and an accurate vibe during the recording process has graced some of the most important albums in history. The Beatles’ Abbey Road and Let it Be, Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon and Atom Heart Mother, and Al Stewart’s Year of the Cat, are just a few of the key recordings he helped shape.

The interview explores:
    - Forthcoming Alan Parsons Project reissues and recording projects
    - A look at the long-shelved Alan Parsons Project release "The Sicilian Defence"
    - His performance approach with The Alan Parsons Live Project
    - His work on the new Steven Wilson album "The Raven that Refused to Sing (And Other Stories)"
    - Reflections on his recent studio projects and collaborations
    - His perspective on high-resolution audio and the world of MP3s and earbuds
    - The changing role of the modern engineer

...and much more...

You can read it here:
    http://www.innerviews.org/inner/parsons.html

Or on the free Innerviews iPhone/iPad app here:
    http://www.innerviews.org/mobile.html

Cheers,
    Anil

Thanks! Will read this afternoon!!!

Just read the interview, Anil, and it was a lovely, well-managed and informative interview. I am a APP fan, considering I Robot to be an excellent album and Pyramid, Eve and The Turn of a Friendly Card to be very very good albums and consider him to be among some of the best of the music produced in the latter 70's. Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

Peace,
    Alex

Another excellent interview Anil. Thanks!

Very nice!

Thanks all. Alan's officially announced the box set on his Facebook page now:
    https://www.facebook.com/TheAlanParsonsProject

At the risk of seeming like a grump, I'm totally ambivalent about this! I have a trio of the HDAD versions, a few recent resissues, and the MFSL version of Tales. Absent surround mixes in this set (and they are absent) it's a pass.
    Last edited by ca1ore; 02-26-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    At the risk of seeming like a grump, I'm totally ambivalent about this! I have a thio of the HDAD versions, a few recent resissues, and the MFSL version of Tales. Absent surround mixes in thsi set (and they are absent) it's a pass.
    You are not a grump. I have the HDAD versions and they are outstanding. I will be very surprised if they could be ever be improved (Even with a surround remix).

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Didn't the APP catalog get reissued just a couple of years ago?
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Didn't the APP catalog get reissued just a couple of years ago?
    I think the last reissue was in 2009. Before that, there has been quite a few reissues of the APP catalog on CD and vinyl through the years.

Some of the reissues will have additional material. I Robot will be 2 CDs, sold as a special edition, with a whole disc of bonus material....

Let's all remember that the box set will contain Sicilian Defence!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    I have the HDAD versions and they are outstanding.
    For the uninitiated, what is HDAD?

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    For the uninitiated, what is HDAD?
    It is a 2 sided high resolution audio disc playable on DVD players. More details on the following link.

Quote Originally Posted by Innerviews View Post
    Some of the reissues will have additional material. I Robot will be 2 CDs, sold as a special edition, with a whole disc of bonus material....

Let's all remember that the box set will contain Sicilian Defence!!!!!
    Nice to have, but not need to have. I wonder why no 5.1? I suppose the label believes the incremental sales accruing from surround would not cover the cost of doing the remixes. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    I wonder why no 5.1?
    Maybe the multi-tracks are not available.

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    It is a 2 sided high resolution audio disc playable on DVD players. More details on the following link.
    Thanks for the info. I'm interested to see the details on what is being offered with this package and how it differs from the recent rereleases.
    Last edited by Tangram; 02-26-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Regarding surround, this is being released as one of those Sony/Legacy complete box sets like this Blue Oyster Cult thing. It's not "super-deluxe." http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-C.../dp/B008S80OU2