Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Luis Alberto Spinetta

Hello Gang!.

A priceless gem/concert:
    - Estrelicia ... MTV ... unplugged ... -

"An intimate concert, risky, with inedit songs and without overabundance of "hits"..."
    (For example:"La Miel en tu Ventana", una inédita de Almendra!!)

Grosso El Flaco!.

MTV Unplugged - 1997.

Músicos:
    Guitarras acústicas y voces: Luis Alberto Spinetta
    Bajo: Marcelo Torres
    Batería: Daniel "Tuerto" Wirtz

Teclados: Juan Carlos "Mono" Fontana
    Percusión: Nico Cota
    Acordeón: Rodolfo García

Arreglos orquestales: Carlos Franzetti.

Temas:
    01-Durazno Sangrando
    02-La Montaña
    03-Cada Luz
    04-Fuji
    05-La miel en tu ventana
    06-Correr Frente a Tí
    07-Tu nombre sobre mi nombre
    08-Tú vendrás a juntar mis días
    09-Laura va
    10-Jazmín
    11-La Sed Verdadera
    12-Todas las hojas son del viento
    13-Plegaria para un niño dormido
    14-Barro tal vez
    15-Tía Amanda
    16-Mi sueño de hoy
    17-Yo quiero ver un tren
    18-Ludmila
    19-Saludo final

Enjoy ... I am!!
    Last edited by TCC; 04-04-2019 at 09:43 AM.

El Valle Interior is more than fine, if only for the beautiful epic Miguelito, mi espiritu ha partido a tiempo. The atmosphere is quite melancholic, almost bleak. I don't see the connection with the old version of Almendra, I would just consider it another late 70's/80's Spinetta project, more digestible but still arty.

^ That's probably true. I listened to El Valle and Diamante (recorded almost simultaneously) back-to-back this last Friday, and what struck me was the vast difference between the respective focus of the two. Spinetta Jade were very much dedicated to the concept of ultra-refined instrumental prowess, whereas the reformed Almendra were a fully "song-form" based enterprise foreshadowing the mainman's solo endeavours throughout the 80s and on. His whole spirit is very present in both, of course, and indeed he sought a merger of the two approaches already by the time of the second Spinetta Jade album, Los Ninos Que Escriben en el Cielo, on which he pretty much takes his leave from the "progressive" field altogether. He would uphold a significant sense of sophistication in much of his songwriting, but not in terms of a conscious genre antic.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I found an interesting book by Miguel Grinberg about the history of Argentinan rock 'Como Vino La Mano , origenes del rock argentino (4th edition 2008). He seemed to be quite aquainted with most muscians and a bigger part of the book consists of long interviews (among them a one with Spinetta .

Attachment 12891
    I have these 2:

- Spinetta: Anhelo de una lírica - Una exploración temática - (2017) -
    "The lyrical density of Spinetta for his songbook has made him to be considered “The poet” of the Rock. Is he the poet of Rock? These pages pierce that idea boldly.
    The book provides a framework for reflection, analysis and understanding for those who have enjoyed this intensity, or for those who question it, are about to be introduced or discovered.
    His exhibition exemplifies the interconnection of his songbook revealing itself as an organic whole.
    An adventure of thought about the letters that bequeathed us the original author.
    Essential meditative testimony about his unshakeable longing for a letter."

And, my little treasure/gem:

- Guitarra Negra -
    "In the work of Spinetta, viewed chronologically, we find that between the sublime "A 18 'del sol" and the misunderstood "Only love can sustain" curiously is not a studio album, but our Flaco gave us one of those "notebooks and notebooks full of poems" written by him ... Guitarra Negra, published in 1978, a rarity completely, is the first and only book that would publish in life."

Of interest:
    - Curiosities about Luis Alberto Spinetta. - (in spanish)

# 9:
    - At 13-15 years old he composed:

- Barro Tal Vez:

- Plegaria para un niño dormido.
    Last edited by TCC; 04-12-2019 at 02:55 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

^ Thank you very much for all this. I will try to get my hands on the text of the book. I don't know any Spanish, but with some translator and my French/Italian knowledge I can create a credible understanding of Spanish poetry. And yes, of course he was a poet, and a major one from what I gather out of the few tunes I have listened to with lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    ^ Thank you very much for all this. I will try to get my hands on the text of the book. I don't know any Spanish, but with some translator and my French/Italian knowledge I can create a credible understanding of Spanish poetry. And yes, of course he was a poet, and a major one from what I gather out of the few tunes I have listened to with lyrics.
    You´re welcome Zappa!
    Pura Vida!.

"Guitarra Negra" is OOP but you can find it as a second hand for example.

"Guitarra Negra is a surrealist poetry book by Argentine rock musician Luis Alberto Spinetta published in 1978. It is the only book published by Spinetta, although the album Pescado 2, released in 1973 by his band Pescado Rabioso, contained a 52-page booklet with drawings , poetry and reflections, mostly written by Spinetta. It has been reissued several times.
    Luis Alberto Spinetta was characterized by a musical work intimately related to poetry. With strong influences of surrealism, many of his musical works and albums are inspired by the work of great poets, as with Rimbaud in the case of Pescado 2.
    The book was originally edited by Ediciones Tres Tiempos which had to close in 1984. In 1995, another independent publisher resumed the task of republishing it, making five editions since then and until 2012.
    Spinetta has said about the book that: "Certain internal violence shot up at me when writing those texts.""

Viajero Inmóvil has some books about Spinetta and other related themes of interest, don't know if OOP but listed at their site, for example:
    http://viajeroinmovil.com/en/books-magazines

Enjoy!.
    Last edited by TCC; 04-12-2019 at 03:30 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

I got an email from seller Stavengard2003 with a list of Spinetta related items he currently has up on ebay, inc the book discussed above. None are cheap, but for those interested, click on the link and then seller's other items.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LUIS-ALBERT...item3fbfffb860

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I got an email from seller Stavengard2003 with a list of Spinetta related items he currently has up on ebay, inc the book discussed above. None are cheap, but for those interested, click on the link and then seller's other items.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LUIS-ALBERT...item3fbfffb860
    Here you can get "Guitarra Negra" new $25.92 (much cheaper than the used one from ebay @ $74.99)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...n=new&qid=&sr=

While Pescado Rabioso 2 starts as a plain heavy blues rock record (with some shameless Zeppelin cloning at times), it becomes all the more interesting and elaborate in its second phase. The closing Aguas Claras de Olimpos is a masterpiece of sublime poetry and fine music, and bears the stamp of this unique artist. No one thought or wrote in terms even remotely close to Spinetta. The use of orchestra provides a scintillating effect to this beautiful epic.

While Pescado Rabioso 2 starts as a plain heavy blues rock record (with some shameless Zeppelin cloning at times), it becomes all the more interesting and elaborate in its second phase. The closing Aguas Claras de Olimpos is a masterpiece of sublime poetry and fine music, and bears the stamp of this unique artist. No one thought or wrote in terms even remotely close to Spinetta. The use of orchestra provides a scintillating effect to this beautiful epic.
    Hola Zappa!.
    I have been listening today to this nice compilation and I share your enthusiasm too ... grande Spinetta!!

Regards!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

2 missing pieces

Capitan Beto, just look at the reaction from the people when the song starts ..

With Pedro Aznar who was part of the band at one post in time

Uploading this concert is a very happy moment, after several digitizations, finally this is the best we have managed to do. It includes a panning that does not affect the frames and that allows you to see it with dignity in HD. It has some insurmountable minimal technical details that do not detract from the whole, with magical audio and an image full of light and color. Although the recital has been uploaded by other users, they have always been air recordings, with serious deficiencies in video and audio quality. As you can see, this is not the case. I think it deserved to account for the support in which it was preserved for 35 years: a VHS Maxell hgx-gold.
    Luis Alberto Spinetta returns to play on TV after many years. It is 1984, the year of the return to democracy and the program is Badía and company. THIS IS THE ONLY COPY IN EXISTENCE.

^Thank you so much, John. Amazing stuff. One can also feel the whole jovial, optimistic atmosphere of a post-junta Argentina, and what this music meant to people in those bleak years.

Just found this, and quite surprisingly as this is one of his most overtly anti-authoritarian tunes and apparently recorded directly in the wake of surroundings/circumstances concerning the Falklands' War in spring 1982. I'm amazed at how he dared poke the face of Galtieri.

Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 05-30-2020 at 12:00 PM.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Just found this, and quite surprisingly as this is one of his most overtly anti-authoritarian tunes and apparently recorded directly in the wake of surroundings/circumstances concerning the Falklands' War in spring 1982. I'm amazed at how he dared poke the face of Galtieri.

I didn't catch anything Richard. Could you please make it simple on the historic milieu you're referencing? Who is Galtieri?

^ You just failed The Final Cut 101.

Could you please make it simple on the historic milieu you're referencing? Who is Galtieri?
    Look, you need to hear this UNTIL ca. 01:52. Ok?

How is it possible that we haven't mentioned here - or anywhere else - the truly beautiful Spinetta y los Socios del Desierto album? I discovered this by pure chance very recently, and come to consider it as his most important release after the 70's grand oeuvres, and on equal terms with them. It's a bare trio, most probably with no overdubs at all, 2 hours and 10 minutes long, with a continuous flow of excellent and accomplished songs from start to finish. The musicianship is simply outstanding, and Spinetta in particular shines as a guitar player in his usual idiosyncratic playing style. I highly recommend this album not only to Spinetta fans, but also to any casual fan of melodic jazz/blues/prog music.

Guys, I'm lately doing marathons and marathons of listening to and analyzing lyrics by Luis Alberto Spinetta and Charly García as an auxillary thing that I hope will help me improve my Spanish. Tons of fantastic music!
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    Guys, I'm lately doing marathons and marathons of listening to and analyzing lyrics by Luis Alberto Spinetta and Charly García as an auxillary thing that I hope will help me improve my Spanish. Tons of fantastic music!

As I don't speak Spanish I did the same I DeepLd most of his lyrics very impressive...one of my favorite Spinetta songs :BaroTal Vez...in this touching vidéo recorded with Mercedes Sosa...both passed away not long after the recording...moves me every time...
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

This ramble/recommendation will be a tiny bit off topic. I apologize.

In terms of other monumental Spanish language prog albums, El Profeta by Armando Tirelli has tons of gold nuggets of information within for an aspiring novice language student like me. The best feature by far is the fact the album, in addition to the Spanish vocals, also has some spoken word narration that tells the story of Khalil Gibran. It's spoken very clearly with fantastic intonation and diction in a quite neutral accent (albeit someone told me you can hear a little tinge of Rioplatense if you have a trained ear).
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

Going back to Spinetta, this cover is brilliant.

The best thing about it is that it isn't trying to modernize the original song but rather simply augment it with the string ensemble. It stays faithful to what made the original so good.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA