Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let Jon Anderson make you happy …

Let Jon Anderson make you happy …

https://www.loudersound.com/news/wat...s-in-new-video

cannot be unheard/unseen – and that’s probably a good thing.

The one time leader and visionary creator from the best most progressive rock band ever now reduced to this. Embarrassing is an understatement. How does this serve the legacy of Yes music? Imagine trying to get a younger person interested in Yes and they see this? Looks like its music time in the old folks home on a Sunday afternoon. I've listened to the clips from the rest of the album too and it made me cringe. Some people want this man back in Yes? No thanks. Sorry but its the way I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    The one time leader and visionary creator from the best most progressive rock band ever now reduced to this.
    What does it mean to be "the most progressive"?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

newsflash: he has always been like this. freude, schφner gφtterfunken.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    The one time leader and visionary creator from the best most progressive rock band ever now reduced to this. Embarrassing is an understatement. How does this serve the legacy of Yes music? Imagine trying to get a younger person interested in Yes and they see this? Looks like its music time in the old folks home on a Sunday afternoon. I've listened to the clips from the rest of the album too and it made me cringe. Some people want this man back in Yes? No thanks. Sorry but its the way I feel.
    The way to get a younger person into Yes is to play them some Yes. I wouldn't try to get somebody into early Genesis by playing Peter Gabriel's song from Wall-E, or into King Crimson by playing Fripp and Toyah and the Humans' cover of "These Boots Were Made For Walking" ...

Like it or not, these fellas are retirement home age. They are likely not gonna do things they did at 25. And there are plenty of creative musicians who continue to create amazing stuff until the day they die. 80 % of Jon's solo stuff is super cheesey. It is who the little fella is. Easy to ignore!

I'm not sure I would consider Yes the "most progressive", but they certainly were one of the groups that chose to combine different sub-genres and create a kind of through-composed Rock music from it. In that regard, they were progressive. I'll just say that no artist is obliged to do what I want them to do. If Anderson wants to do this, it's not my problem. If another artist wants to write British light classical music, that's on him. I don't have to like everything.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    What does it mean to be "the most progressive"?
    It means super duper fantabulous almost all of the time, and occasionally supercalifragelistic!

With sprinkles.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    It's fine that Jon wants to release an upbeat pop song. What get me is that his production team took video notes from this guy:

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I thought I was watching a mash-up of: The Wiggles, Sesame Street and The Banana Splits....oh wait, The Banana Splits were good.

Hey, JA can do whatever he wants to, but this was tragically terrible. If I start doing music? like this at age 74, some please shoot me.
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    I thought I was watching a mash-up of: The Wiggles, Sesame Street and The Banana Splits....oh wait, The Banana Splits were good.
    Isn't everything about this guy childlike, with a wide-eyed "golly gosh" quality?

I can't believe I'm going to see him Sunday night. I'll probably be the guy beating my head on the chair in front of me. If you see me, be sure to come up and say "hi."

Isn't everything about this guy childlike, with a wide-eyed "golly gosh" quality?

supercalifragelistic!

With sprinkles.

And it's not even Happy Hour yet........

^ It's gotta be happy hour somewhere, Vic?

Obviously Jon has more than earned the right to do whatever he wants, but really, who does he think will like this?

Not Yes fans... We like Jon specifically because he made music that was *not* like this song.
    Not the kids, they might like it if Jon was cute and 17.

So who exactly is the audience supposed to be for this??

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    The way to get a younger person into Yes is to play them some Yes. I wouldn't try to get somebody into early Genesis by playing Peter Gabriel's song from Wall-E, or into King Crimson by playing Fripp and Toyah and the Humans' cover of "These Boots Were Made For Walking" ...

Like it or not, these fellas are retirement home age. They are likely not gonna do things they did at 25. And there are plenty of creative musicians who continue to create amazing stuff until the day they die. 80 % of Jon's solo stuff is super cheesey. It is who the little fella is. Easy to ignore!
    Yep.

Jon has definitely gone fruitcake , but that was almost fun, if way too early for a summer hit.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ It's gotta be happy hour somewhere, Vic?
    I'm counting the minutes. But yeah, somewhere it's beer o'clock....

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post

So who exactly is the audience supposed to be for this??
    Janeee!!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Where are Tinky-Winky, Dipsy, Laa Laa and Po?

I'm amused at all the "Jon Anderson has been reduced to THIS!?" takes here, this is pretty much exactly the sort of music I assumed Jon Anderson recorded in his spare time

I agree though, this song is not as good as "Close to the Edge"
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post

I made it through about 10 seconds of it. Uggg. Doesn't make me happy.

I vi IV V makes you HAPPY!

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post

Hep Yadda, let's get to the heart of the matter...
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I must be a friggin' softy, because I don't think this is so bad, and like some others it's about what I'd expect. I think I'm the few who liked songs like "If it Wasn't for Love" and "It Will Be a Good Day." I sort of enjoy his uplifting songs, and his voice is pretty uplifting to hear these days. Granted, instrumentally this one isn't that interesting, but overall it's cheerful and nice to hear Jon's voice.

I love Yes to death but anyone who thinks Yes is the most progressive of bands needs to listen to more music by bands outside of England from the 1970's. That said, y'all sound like you would be happier if Jon made an album about Olias where the Moorglade Mover explodes and some distant traveler is left to find frozen pieces of the Sunhillow pilot floating dead in space.

I think if you take away the admittedly goofy video for a moment, where Jon is clearly having fun with his image and past, this song could have appeared on Song of Seven right after Heart of the Matter or Everybody Loves You. It's fine if this sort of tune isn't your cup of tea, it's not my fave either, but it is definitely a representation of who Jon has been his entire musical life, dating back to Sweetness. Maybe we stop shitting all over a guy for trying to make the world a happier place through music. There is enough darkness all around you don't have to look far to find it. Now go listen to the Gates. Just my nickel's worth of opinion.