Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for good songs to play acoustically

Cats In The Cradle

Wish You Were Here
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Amazed nobody's mentioned any Richard Thompson material. Depending on how how ambitious you want to be on acoustic guitar, here are a few suggestions:

Loads more where these came from...

Is anyone here familiar with the term "busking"? Supposedly it lets you set up as a street musician - A friend told me I should get a Busking license for downtown Fort Worth. So I am looking into it. Only problem is when I looked Ft Worth wants $100 for a license. I don't know if that is per event, or if it just entitles you to be street musician. Man, if it is per event. They should not have any street musicians at all. Who could afford that?

I've gone ahead and purchased a Bose S1 system, it is battery powered and fairly robust and that will allow me to play on the street without requiring power, or screaming to be heard.

As far as doing some of the material mentioned, Some of these artists are honestly, obscure, and if I am going to do truly obscure music, it will likely be my own. One can only learn so much material from other musicians. Though I do appreciate the suggestions and they are great! Others may decide it apropos for them. Playing an obscure Jethro Tull or Yes song (I think oft hem as deep tracks off of somewhat popular albums) is different from playing an obscure artists even more obscure songs. Great as those can be. Ultimately, its about using my own material. The "cover tunes" are there to get attention.
    Last edited by Yodelgoat; 07-22-2019 at 01:22 PM.

You never know who will see you when you are out busking

“Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Jon Neudorf
    Congrats Yodelgoat. As a fan of your original music I think what you are doing is awesome and highly commendable.

Jon

I have been trying out some more Rush tunes - Subdivisions, Limelight and Spirit of the radio... Modified, of course, to some extent. you wouldn't normally think of them as acoustic guitar fodder. But I got enthusiastic cheers for just trying to do them... So once I have them cleaned up a bit, I'll have a nice little 20 minute Rush tribute happening. I may get beat up for it, but for the most part I have found Canadians to be a gentle people, so perhaps not. I am surprised that stripped down, they songs are actually kind of basic, but since I know the bass parts t
    really well, I can kind of blend Alex and Geddy's parts, and it seems to be kind of cool. I know that Geddy has said that their music doesn't really lend itself to this, but I think they could do some really cool stuff if they put their minds to it. I figure 4 Rush Tunes is probably 4 more than anyone else I know is doing... (Closer To the Heart, Subdivisions, Spirit and Limelight...)

Oh and I had some video shot at my last gig... I haven't watched it yet, but I may be putting something up sometime soon. Unless it sucks, of course. Where would I put it?

Right here, of course! You could link from your dropbox.

Sounds like you're on a roll. Good on you for doing something original with Rush tunes!

I had no idea that people love Journey so much! I had a request for it, and I kind of bluffed my way thru Wheel in the sky at an open mic night and the place erupted... So I did the same with lights... (early Journey is my favorite Journey) So I've worked them both up and I am amazed that I do a good Steve Perry in my old age. I notice its the Chicks who really dig the Journey.... I refuse to play forever yours though.

I play a couple times a week now and it has been a joy. I was expecting it would turn out to suck, but so far... I just cannot let people tell me what to play. It helps not knowing any country. I get the occasional "dude in a cowboy hat" who is unimpressed, but most people, particularly the more mature ones, love their oldies. and their 60's & 70's - with occasional 80's. I see this old guy sitting and listening and think, Oh man, I have to dial it back, but the guy turns out to be my age... I think the days of worrying about offending the Frank Sinatra crowd is disappearing. Old guys dig Jethro Tull. Old guys know Jethro Tull!

Oh also, when I do "Lazarus, by Porcupine Tree, some people LOVE that song even when they have never heard it before. I get asked who that was, even though I introduce it as best one can. I think it should have been a hit. Of course, it too, is an old song.

Did a small gig last night, it was pretty quiet, and thought I would slip in one of my 20+ minute unpublished songs live for the first time. ( Bruce, you know this one - Evermore) - When I was done -, silence (that happens a LOT), so I fessed up about it being one of my own - and had a couple people come up on the break and say "You're kidding! - That was your OWN song?" So, I not only got to play it, I got actual response! Overall, I would say that's a victory. Got away with Playing a 20 minute original and apparently no one realized it wasn't just something from an old geezers record collection from the 1970's. Infinitely more rewarding than selling a disk on CD baby.

I used my new BOSE F1-812 sound system last night - It sounded amazing.

This is so rewarding to hear about ~ Thanks for posting, and congrats!

Ive been on a binge lately - a Moody Blues binge. Added 6 MB songs to the list Question, Story In your eyes,Tuesday afternoon, For My lady, New Horizons, Dawning is the day. Kinda back and forth about doing nights in white satin... But I am keeping the backing to minimum, just bass and strings, maybe tambourine. I can play the drums mostly with my feet and that seems to be working.If I ever upgrade my pedals to doubles for kick and snare, it could be a lot more intricate....

At my wifes fervid request, I've added John Denvers "Matthew" and "Grandmas Feather bed"

Oh, Also added Zeppelin's... Living Loving Maid - Ramble on - Whole Lotta Love (just the ending) Backing tracks are killer - and this really rocks

Also Let it Be and USSR... just acoustic with foot drums.

Bought my second Bose F1 812 - I can play bigger venues with two of those... Though I'm not very busy at this point. I Need to expand my horizons. I want to eventually be able to just play my way across the USA.

I have added some gizmos to my rig, where I have the MP3 player with backing tracks velcroed to my guitar, so I just pick the song and play it, without having to move a mouse or look like I am messing around with a separate device. I also mix the my guitar and MPS'3 right on the guitar through a direct box, so it seems a lot more seamless. I can play open mics and just plug into one jack like everyone else and still have the backing tracks available if I decide to use them. My original songs kind of need that because they are so vocal intensive, sometimes 5 or 6 different parts singing different things at once. You just cant do that live with one person.

I have had requests for Elvis... Suggestions? Problem is, I have to like the song, so that counts out houndog and most of his crap(sorry).

Banned
    Ha! I actually used to do "Matthew" - a very touching song.

Yeah, its a really great song. I like to play songs that will invoke some kind of thoughtful process from listeners. I suppose I have to at least try to appease country music fans, we had some hard cores at my last gig, where they were right up front and one saying loudly "I need to hear me some George Straight.." I just ignored it, and one of the guys at that table still dropped a 20 in my tip jar... So, maybe just a Johns Denver song will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    ...I have had requests for Elvis... Suggestions? Problem is, I have to like the song, so that counts out houndog and most of his crap(sorry).
    Have you considered Kentucky Rain? Seems to me that it has acoustic potential, and qualifies as crossover country.

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Have you considered Kentucky Rain? Seems to me that it has acoustic potential, and qualifies as crossover country.
    A second vote for “Kentucky Rain.” Elvis’ stuff that ensued in the wake of the 1968 NBC special (up to about 1971) was some of his best, classiest stuff. “Suspicious Minds” is another excellent choice.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I tried Kentucky rain... and a few other Elvis songs and I just cant seem to get it sounding right. I dont think my voice is compatible. Or maybe because I have spent a lifetime doing bad Elvis impressions, they all just sound that way to me.

I had a really good night last night. The new moody blues songs just killed. Same place again next Saturday. Wished I'd have started doing this a few years ago.

Guy offered me 20 bucks to play Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald. I didnt know it, but I do now. Also added Carefree Highway - Another lightfoot ditty, Sister Golden Hair by America and Operator by Jim Croce. They all sound good just as stand alone acoustic numbers.

Don't know if this one could be pulled off but hey, you used to work with Geoff Tate's coach so what the hell I'll throw it in the pot.

Gods I love this song.

Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

A virtual standard, much-covered:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Oh that Queensryche song is awesome. I do a decent Geoff Tate. I'll have to see if the guitar is too much for my sausage fingers to cover. The middle harmony guitars would have to be modified to some extent. I dont imagine too many people would notice if it were bastardized...

You're right, that song is killer.

Harry Chapin... I've been getting some requests for cats in the cradle... I should probably review his catalog and see what's there. Of course, now I have a good 3+ hours of solid music, I can be a bit more selective on what to pick up.

Some more Zeppelin I have been considering: The Song Remains the same and the Rain song. Still experimenting with those.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post

Harry Chapin... I've been getting some requests for cats in the cradle... I should probably review his catalog and see what's there. Of course, now I have a good 3+ hours of solid music, I can be a bit more selective on what to pick up.
    I like Mr. Tanner, but I suppose that's a hard one to cover on your own.
    WLOD is another song I really like.

Zeppelin: "Black Mountain Side" (tune your guitar into an E-chord)

Banned
    Originally Posted by Buddhabreath

FYI when I play Wondering Aloud, I add the last verse ("Will a child one day be born") from Wondering Again...
    Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Nice!
    And I never get tired of this "live-secuence" of Wond'ring Aloud - Dun Ringill:

https://youtu.be/UJqeSSjVRc0
    I recorded my version just for fun with some overdubs so not quite the live version (in case you're interested TCC)

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...l=1#post940140