Thread: Rick Beato "What Makes This Song Great -'Touch Me' by The Doors"

Rick Beato "What Makes This Song Great -'Touch Me' by The Doors"

Last edited by Sean; 03-27-2019 at 11:07 AM.

And on a mid-week sunny morning ~

Thanks for the post! I really find those breakdowns interesting. Wish I could do that at home, here!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    That was pretty cool. I must admit to having been pretty ignorant about music when I first heard that song back in the '60s. I thought, what's with all the orchestration and horns? It didn't sound like I thought the Doors should. But my appreciation of music has grown over the years, and with the help of that video, I can see it was a groundbreaking arrangement and killer performance. I even remember seeing the Doors perform that song on TV. To us, there were no bad Doors songs. Our favorite on The Soft Parade was always the 9-minute title track, though.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

YouTube is ridiculous....

<sig out of order>

Thank you for posting that video about 'Touch Me'. I've been hearing that song now and then for 50 years and never realized how sophisticated it is! Lots of stuff going on in there. Very interesting. The only thing I don't quite 'get' is why Jim's vocals are referred to as so strange. Maybe I'll eventually catch on. But thanks for posting.

David

^^^
    I'm guessing that part of what makes the vocals "strange" is that Morrison is singing in a kind of (Vegas-style) "lounge" fashion - almost like Tony Bennett. Whilst this fits with the big/swing band arrangement, it's hardly fitting with contemporary rock attitudes, & certainly appears to be against type for Morrison especially.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    The only thing I don't quite 'get' is why Jim's vocals are referred to as so strange. Maybe I'll eventually catch on.
    Listen to Morrison's vocals on the first two Doors albums then listen to "Touch Me". On the latter, his voice has a harshness to it. It's cracking in places when that would have never happened earlier. Morrison even sounds off-key in places. He abused his body and voice with too much booze, cigarettes and drugs plus gaining quite a bit of weight. The Morrison of "Touch Me" can't shine a light on the one from "Break on Through" or "The Crystal Ship".
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

one of my favorites from The Doors.
    they were unique. and flaunted it.
    and dare i say it... they were prog!

How dare you!

The eons are closing
    Leper Outcast Unclean!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit