Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Big Big Train - New album Grand Tour announced May 17th

I am certainly not a fan boy but I enjoy some BBT. Rikard joining has renewed my interest in them.

I think the last three songs (Ariel, Voyager and Homesong) are pretty strong with Ariel being my favorite. The rest of the album is less engaging. Alive is pretty awful.

Overall an okay album but they've done better in the past.

I'm still loving it.

The Florentine & Pantheon are real favourites but there's nothing I don't enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    OK now that the hype and the accolades have died down are there any other fanboys besides me ready to admit this album (and the last for that matter) are just "eh"? I've easily listened to it over 25 times and I often find myself in the middle of the record thinking "what's for dinner?"
    I still think this is one of their better recent efforts.

Are you ready to admit that maybe it just isn't to your taste?

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I am certainly not a fan boy but I enjoy some BBT. Rikard joining has renewed my interest in them.

I think the last three songs (Ariel, Voyager and Homesong) are pretty strong with Ariel being my favorite. The rest of the album is less engaging. Alive is pretty awful.

Overall an okay album but they've done better in the past.
    I really like "Alive" actually. It reminds me of It Bites.

They are just treading the same ground for the last few LPs. It basically doesn't matter which of their records you pull out when you have the BBT-itch...
    That having said, it's solid work and all, but a little more adventure would help. I hoped Rikard would have a bit of a weird influence on them, but so far...not!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I really like "Alive" actually. It reminds me of It Bites.
    Ah yes, when I first heard it I was trying to figure out what it sounded like - The Old Man And The Angel crossed with Rush's Subdivisions.

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    They are just treading the same ground for the last few LPs. It basically doesn't matter which of their records you pull out when you have the BBT-itch...
    That having said, it's solid work and all, but a little more adventure would help. I hoped Rikard would have a bit of a weird influence on them, but so far...not!
    Don't get me wrong. I still think they are one of the best contemporary Prog bands out there. The problem is they've been too ubiquitous over the last few years and the writing is suffering. I think they are one of only a couple of current bands that make money off of CD and Vinyl sales.
    Unfortunately Prog bands except for a few Prog-metal bands are not able to sell any physical goods in a profitable manner. I believe Big Big Train does and it's forcing them to put out too much product. I'm in the Business and I've seen it before. They're taking all the $$ off the table and not allowing the ground to grow fertile again before they re-plant the crops.

I think my favorite BBT album is English Electric Full Power. So many really good tracks there. But since then, 'The Second Brightest Star' is my favorite. Much more instrumental music. I love DL's voice, but they need to break it up with more instrumental music. The instrumentals on Brightest Star are really beautiful. And it includes some of their best post-English Electric music, like Brooklands. I like the new album, and different songs sound good on different days, but nothing moves me as much as, say 'Brooklands'. Still I find it pretty enjoyable throughout.

What would I change? I wish Rikard Sj÷blom had composed a song or two. I relished Rikard's compositional contributions to Grimspound and "The Second Brightest Star". I don't think Rikard Sj÷blom suffered writer's block.
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 1 Week Ago at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I still think they are one of the best contemporary Prog bands out there. The problem is they've been too ubiquitous over the last few years and the writing is suffering. I think they are one of only a couple of current bands that make money off of CD and Vinyl sales.
    Unfortunately Prog bands except for a few Prog-metal bands are not able to sell any physical goods in a profitable manner. I believe Big Big Train does and it's forcing them to put out too much product. I'm in the Business and I've seen it before. They're taking all the $$ off the table and not allowing the ground to grow fertile again before they re-plant the crops.
    For me though, all the albums they've released recently have been excellent. I wouldn't want to be without a single track. No drop-off in quality to my ears, at least.