Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Record Store Day - April 13, 2019

Record Store Day - April 13, 2019

Anyone have plans to attend this year? https://recordstoreday.com/

I'm very excited. In terms of volume, this is probably the record store day with the most things I want to buy. There are 12 things I definitely want and a few others I'll be tempted by.

The selections this year—prog and otherwise—are pretty fantastic.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Well?

The Howell & Ferdinando 2LP was the only one that might have interested me, (and only if it had material from the 2 acetates that were sold in the last 5 years) and it was a "regional" release, whatever that means. Probably means "not at your store, buster." The 2LP live ELP set was not of interest, so it just wasn't worth the drive for me.

The usual reports of the good and the bad. There was nothing with enough gravitational pull to get me up early or even at the opening bell, so I wandered over to a small local haunt which—as expected—had little left by noon. I did pick up the Zappa, and as they were running a 50% of second hand jazz LPs I nabbed a few things on my wantlist that I wouldn’t have paid $20 but certainly was happy to score for $10, best one of the day being the Hank Jones/Ron Carter/Tony Williams LA Jazz trio on the Japanese East/West label with inserts, booklet and looks pretty much unplayed. Oh, and a first pressing of Steely Dan’s ‘Pretzel Logic’ that has a scuff or two but nothing that won’t clean up in the Okki Nokki for $8. I was fortunate to be gifted a copy of the Grateful Dead acoustic double LP which is pretty fantastic. Was curious about the ELP...I know it was in that big box that came out last year. How’s it sound? Have heard the expanded CSN&Y ‘4 Way Street’ sounds superb. Also hearing great things about the Bill Evans on Resonance.
    It certainly felt like the event itself got a lot more mainstream press.
    Anyway, for those who were out and about, hope it was a good time and the RSD fates smiled kindly upon your wish lists.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Biggest crowd ever at my little local shop. A real mob scene. Unpleasant. I got the Zappa and the Gong, and that's it. Art Ensemble of Chicago was at the top of my want list, but I missed out. Also did not see: Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull, ELP, Captain Beefheart, Marshall Allen, Cecil Taylor. Not that I would have bought all those even if I could have gotten my hands on them...
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I lucked out to the nth degree yesterday. I picked up one of those hidden '80s prog gems, Seventh Wave psi-fi on vinyl, still sealed for $9.99
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I picked up the Yes release and a 4 album Todd set of all his singles and B-sides, it was extravagant but a lovely set.

We didn’t have the Gong one over here, I have it on CD in any case.

I wanted the acoustic Steve McQueen (Prefab Sprout) but it was sold out early. I have that on CD too, so not a major worry.

My local independent shop had a techno race feel with super loud dudes and drunk 40 something’s pointing and shouting. Strangest record shopping I’ve ever done.

I got there very early. I got a bunch of things.

I don't own Trout Mask Replica on vinyl so I got that. I'm very happy with it. Sounds great (better than the CD I ripped from the library).

IMO the Jeff Tweedy album is one of the best of its kind (leftovers from an album session that didn't make the album).

The Albert King mono is very nice.

I've never owned High Tide/Green Grass in any format, so I picked that up. Sounds great.

Ditto the Gong album. Haven't played it yet, though.

I haven't played the Bill Evans, Wes Montgomery, Cecil Taylor, Bob Dylan, James Brown, Pink Floyd or SoulJazz early hip hip set yet, either.

I got the Jerry Garcia 4LP set and the Robert Plant Fate of Nations just because they were there. Might consider letting those go to help finance the rest of the haul.

I'm hearing great things about the Lou Reed Ecstasy print - I think they overproduced that, so getting one won't likely be a problem for awhile.

Went looking for the Todd Rundgren Bearsville singles box, but my local store didn't have any. Guess they either sold out before I got there, or they didn't even get any. That was really the only release that interested me this year...

I don't have a local store anymore (Rasputin's closed up shop in my town last month*), so I didn't go this year. Closest is Sacramento (Dimples) an hour away. I don't buy records, but I do like the CD swag and especially the Dogfish Head beer/RSD posters. I guess I'll do without, altho that saddens me. The last 2 I liked enough to frame.

*Last year, our local Rasputin's didn't have shit. It was just another retail day for them. I've been angry at their management ever since.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 04-15-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Only bought Dylan

I couldn't get out Saturday, which was also my youngest daughter's birthday. I went to Barnes & Noble Sunday and picked up a copy of Meddle with my 30% off coupons.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

There are reports of mispressed copies of the mono Saucerful of Secrets with a single track of dance music on side one. Holding my breath till my copy arrives. (I scored more items by mail order the next day than I did at the actual store. That's how pointless RSD is.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    There are reports of mispressed copies of the mono Saucerful of Secrets with a single track of dance music on side one. Holding my breath till my copy arrives. (I scored more items by mail order the next day than I did at the actual store. That's how pointless RSD is.)
    That reminds me of my Rush album with CCR on the other side.

Picked up the Yes release. Haven’t spun it yet

My first Record Store Day experience.

That's how pointless RSD is.)
    it's pretty pointless on multiple levels.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Overpriced-reissues day, but at the same time they did release Frank Black's first two solo albums on vinyl that were even MORE expensive beforehand so thats a little win for me this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    it's pretty pointless on multiple levels.
    I do business with a guy who owns a record shop in Phoenix. He scoffs at RSD. He says he doesn't really get into it, but he does order RSD items for friends if they want them. He has offered that to me the last couple years but there isn't anything I am interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Picked up the Yes release. Haven’t spun it yet
    That's a super-cool item. I was tempted to buy it just for the colored vinyl, but since I still have my original copies of both the US and the UK versions, I couldn't justify squeezing a third copy of this LP onto my shelves.

There are reports of mispressed copies of the mono Saucerful of Secrets with a single track of dance music on side one.
    You sure that's not just the Wilson remix?

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I don't have a local store anymore (Rasputin's closed up shop in my town last month*), so I didn't go this year. Closest is Sacramento (Dimples) an hour away. I don't buy records, but I do like the CD swag and especially the Dogfish Head beer/RSD posters. I guess I'll do without, altho that saddens me. The last 2 I liked enough to frame.

*Last year, our local Rasputin's didn't have shit. It was just another retail day for them. I've been angry at their management ever since.
    I was stationed in the San Joaquin Valley while in the Navy, and I feel your pain. To get a decent selection of and price on musical instruments, I'd have to travel to the Bay Area.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

the wife and I's video: