Thread: Didier Lockwood recommendations

Didier Lockwood recommendations

I was listening to the Gagliarchives last Saturday and heard some Didier Lockwood from the Surya album I believe. I loved what I heard, but that CD is very difficult to find (if it is available at all?).

Do you have recommendations? I would prefer more of the prog sound I seemed to get, although I dont mind jazz & fusion either. There was a best of on iTunes where I heard some nice tracks, but would prefer to get one of his best releases.

Thanks,
    Eric

DL was in Magma for a time if you want Zuehl instead of Fusion. He didn't do much Symph if that's what you mean by "prog sound". There was an album that was a bit Symph sounding by a band called called Synthesis.
    My favorites by DL are:
    Lockwood, Top, Vander, Widemann - Fusion
    Lockwood, Brunel, Gauthier, Rust - Jazz Rock
    Surya
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I was lucky enough to stumble upon cheap vinyl copies of both Surya and Live In Montreaux a few years ago. Both are pretty good, but Surya is the more proggish of the two with some hints of Magma on a couple tracks. The live album has Jan Hammer on it and is more mainstream fusion.

Also, for those who are familiar with the Danish prog band Midnight Sun, the excellent bass player, Bo Stief, plays on Live in Montreaux.
    Last edited by Septober Energy; 02-22-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

Surya is my favorite Lockwood album, good fusion. The others I have (in order of preference) are:
    Volkor with Didier on violin and his brother Francis on piano et al
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...s=music&sr=1-3
    http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/volkor
    Uzeb Absolutely Live
    http://www.amazon.com/Absolutely-Liv...&keywords=uzeb
    The Kid
    http://www.amazon.com/Kid-Lockwood-D...ckwood+the+kid
    Out of the Blue
    http://www.amazon.com/Out-Blue-Didie...ut+of+the+blue

Oh yeah, I also have Fusion that was mentioned by Mysterious Traveller, it's quite good as well.
    http://www.amazon.com/Fusion/dp/B001...=vander+fusion

The only ones I have are Magma Live and Zao: Kawana. While I prefer Zao with the string quartet (on Shekina), Kawana is still a solid fusion set.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Small Hands of Stone”-Slapp Happy/Sort Of

Surya is my fave, but the list LP (Mysterious Traveller) put is also quite good.

Those 2 are really good Prog Fusion albums as well
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

François Bréant Sons Optiques
    Last edited by Udi Koomran; 02-24-2013 at 04:21 AM.

Emmanuel Booz DANS QUEL ETAT J'ERRE

He's only on one track (16min +), but it's a killer synphonic prog album.

And in a non-prog non-fusion outing, his disc with Stephan Grappelli is great.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I think there is some live audio with him playing with Mike Stern
    Last edited by Shadow; 02-25-2013 at 01:31 AM.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    I only have "Visitors" which I like. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=23130
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

I had an old version of Surya on CD, a French pressing by Lordisc/ADDA
    I just got the new japanese version. Sound is better and it is supposed to have the original mix, but some tracks seem to be from different recordings
    Also the French version has some repetition on beginning of the last 2 tracks, both starting with Space Travel and finishing with Stakau and then with Do Anything you want.

Am I right?

any expert on Surya?

Without looking, I think he is on the Transit Express cds, or is that David Rose. Without having to look, who plays violin with ZAO.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

He was on that Rahmann album as well which is an incredible recording.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by remoraes View Post
    Space Travel and finishing with Stakau and then with Do Anything you want.
    those are a medley which basically sound like one single piece

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Without looking, I think he is on the Transit Express cds, or is that David Rose. Without having to look, who plays violin with ZAO.
    David Rose was in Transit Express.

Another vote for Surya. The new Japanese reissue is great.

Been a DL fan for quite some time now, spending hours in record stores back in the day to find his music, it's quite a varied output, his playing is fantastic regardless of the genre. Surya is definitely the highlight if you enjoy that Mahavishnu sound. Yet "Didier Lockwood - 1980 - Live in Montreux" an MPS release is very good as well. The "Fusion" lp from 1981 which featured Widemann,Vander and Top is great. He also guested on many great studio gigs, one highlight for me was his presence on sax players - Bob Malach's - Some People lp from 1980 another MPS relic, also features Gerry Brown, John Lee, Jasper Van't Hof, and Eef Albers, great stuff.

Didier Lockwood - 1981 - Fasten Seat Belts, has it's moments, not quite as in the classic fusion mode as Surya, but very song based, not as much jamming.
    Didier Lockwood - 1983 - The Kid - sees him going in yet another direction, far less electric fusion, but melodic, song based music, almost easy listening.
    Didier Lockwood - 1987 - group - 1 2 3 4, gets a little more funky at least, and features some great musicians, Alex Ligertwood guests on some vocals, which is odd for DL's discography.

I love the DLG cds also, a nice return to fusion form, as he enlists some serious new talent to assist him, back to fusion, excellent recordings, writing and playing. Phoenix 90 and the DLG - s/t are excellent. Here is a vid of his most recent band.

I was cleaning out an old hard drive and came across a file called "Surya live with Didier Lockwood 1978" and it was 3 cd's. Some songs repeat (different sets or nights?)
    but it's definitely Didier because I recognize some of the songs... but I can't find any information on it. I'm pretty sure I got it from DIME but even searching dead torrents I can't find it anymore. A google search leads nowhere.
    Does anyone also have this and can supply any dates or song titles?

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    I was listening to the Gagliarchives last Saturday and heard some Didier Lockwood from the Surya album I believe. I loved what I heard, but that CD is very difficult to find (if it is available at all?).
    There's a recent Belle Antique release that can be got from CD Japan. That's about $29 plus shipping.

Or there's a copy of the old CD on Discogs for €30 - plus shipping from France.

I think it's a nice album, but I don't want it that much.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Just gorgeous.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

A Gathering Of Minds have been posted before on PE; featuring Lockwood, Sancious, Holdsworth, Bruce and Cobham