Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Walker RIP

Scott Walker RIP

That's a true original gone... what a body of work he leaves behind!

Oh my, thats sad news...
    I only just recently discovered him (courtesy of this forum) and got completely hooked,
    Such an original voice (both literally and non-literally),
    Rest in peace

A REAL progressive artist. This hits hard. RIP Scott Walker.

One of the all-time greats. A hugely influential figure. I particularly love 1-4, his Nite Flights songs and Climate Of Hunter.

RIP.

Oh no...
    RIP.

Wow, massive creative loss. RIP.

Massive talent, incredible voice. One-of-a-kind. What a huge loss to the music community. A leading light of the avant-garde now dimmed.

Sad news,
    one of my alltime favourite songwriters and singers.
    RIP

one of my favourite tunes from Scott 4

Last edited by alucard; 03-25-2019 at 08:27 AM.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Horrible news, i was looking forward to his next piece...one of the best lyricists of his, and Rosemary is one of the greatest songs ever written...in my world

What a shame. Very talented singer.

Oh fucking hell, i hope it's not going to be one of those years again.

Scott 1-4 are beautiful and comforting while at the same time being brooding and black as tar in places. Tilt is one of the most incredible works of art i've ever heard and i never tire of it. I'd stick The Drift up there as well, but it's so intense i can only listen to it about once a year.

Just realised that i've never listened to Climate Of Hunter....

This is shaping up to be another sad year for music, I guess it is somewhat inevitable, but I feel my own mortality more with each passing legend. Scott was a true original and a unique maverick spirit, he leaves us some wonderful music, RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    Just realised that i've never listened to Climate Of Hunter....
    I heard that one fairly early on in my discovery of his work, and loved it- 'Sleepwalkers Woman' in particular is a grand ballad in the 'Boy Child' style. The rest of the album, the four magnificent songs he contributed to The Walker Brothers' Nite Flights were leading up to this sort of sound. Some very unexpected celebrity cameos from Mark Knopfler and Billy Ocean! (Dire Straits at least had the same management at the time.)

R.I.P. Scott...his music is timeless for me.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Oh man..... 76 is too young.

Brilliant, just brilliant.

Some of his work almost redefines the whole idea of music - yet, unlike many avant-classical or avant-jazz essays in that direction, it's still direct, melodic, and listenable.

How well known is his solo work in the US? I get the impression he's an obscure figure there...certainly the response on here has been pretty lethargic but there's not that much on the Steve Hoffman forum either, considering how busy that forum is.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa....823980/page-8

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I heard that one fairly early on in my discovery of his work, and loved it- 'Sleepwalkers Woman' in particular is a grand ballad in the 'Boy Child' style. The rest of the album, the four magnificent songs he contributed to The Walker Brothers' Nite Flights were leading up to this sort of sound. Some very unexpected celebrity cameos from Mark Knopfler and Billy Ocean! (Dire Straits at least had the same management at the time.)
    I've been listening to Climate of Hunter all day. Sleepwalker's Woman, Rawhide, Dealer. Engrossing.

Bob

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    How well known is his solo work in the US? I get the impression he's an obscure figure there..
    He's pretty obscure in my parts. I know a nerdy college kid or two that enjoy his music, but outside of that he's pretty unknown.

^The titles are elusive and vague, it's the music which has all the intrigue. Alleged to have been Virgin's lowest selling album ever on release. Something of an unsung masterpiece, IMHO.

My son called me with the news this morning, he's a huge Scott fan thanks to me playing it when he was a kid. Bad news starts the day. I thought, Oh man...not another of my favorite singers. Mercury, Bowie, Walker. He's been such an inspiration to me and my art, fearless was he. RIP.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

sigh... RIP Scott. I'll be spinning him all night.

Just finished watching Scott Walker: 30th Century Man, the documentary about Scott. An absolutely fascinating look into his life and creative process. Well worth streaming (or buying) if you can find it. When people talk about pushing the envelope....that's what it looks like.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Just finished watching Scott Walker: 30th Century Man, the documentary about Scott. An absolutely fascinating look into his life and creative process. Well worth streaming (or buying) if you can find it. When people talk about pushing the envelope....that's what it looks like.
    I'll second that. ^

I listened to several interviews with SW yesterday after reading the sad news. 30th Century Man is an apt title for his life's work. To say he was an amazing artist is an understatement. Thank goodness that voice, his voice, that voice which makes grown people cry, in not gone. We know Bowie was a big fan, but what resonates with me was the phone call Scott made to Bowie before he died. IMO, it takes a big man to call someone who was stealing their art form and wish them well. This honest and humble gesture brings me back to 30th Century Man. I think it will be another decade before humankind will reach his level of sophistication. I feel fortunate and lucky to have discovered his music though a mutual PE member. Thank you Bob.
    RIP Scott Walker. Tilt on towards the stars.
    Last edited by Fox; 03-26-2019 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    We know Bowie was a big fan, but what resonates with me was the phone call Scott made to Bowie before he died. IMO, it takes a big man to call someone who was stealing their art form and wish them well. This honest and humble gesture brings me back to 30th Century Man.
    If it's the same one I'm thinking of, this was actually from 1997 for a Radio 1 interview/acoustic session with Bowie, just before his 50th birthday.